Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of Midpipe comes on the stock 1997 GT? Im getting some BBK headers and Flowmaster 44's and was wondering if the midpipe was worth changing? Im not getting the whole setup just the mufflers, to save some money. Anyone got opinions?
Thanks,
Kody

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
The stock midpipe has 4 cats and 2 resonators and is pretty restrictive. I have used both an off road X pipe and an off road H pipe. I like the H pipe better because it sounds good but only gets really loud when you get on it. The X pipe is constantly loud ALL the time and gets annoying real quick.

As for brands I have used Pypes, BBK, and MAC. Of the three MAC has the best fit and the best sound. It may be more expensive to start with but in the end it is a good deal because you will not need to spend any more money on it to get it right.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Id like to get a catted H pipe but i cant offord $300+ Midpipe with headers and dual mufflers. Ill look into MAC headers. Thanks!

·
MM's Samsquanch
708 Posts
i would say your mid-pipe is definitely worth changing out, like 97 said having 4 cats and two res. its the most restrictive part of your exhaust. if being loud isn't really a concern of yours you can get an off-road x or h for not that much. or a catted x and its really not that loud.

slp makes a catted x you can use with the stock manifolds or longtubes since it comes in 3 pieces.

just some ideas.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think i want a catted one just so i dont get pulled over (its a DD) and have to pay a fine then change em out anyway. But does anyone have a opinion on longtube with short midpipe or vise versa? Which setup is the best? And whats the major difference between chrome and ceramic headers? is it worth the extra $100 dollars?

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
i think i want a catted one just so i dont get pulled over (its a DD) and have to pay a fine then change em out anyway. But does anyone have a opinion on longtube with short midpipe or vise versa? Which setup is the best? And whats the major difference between chrome and ceramic headers? is it worth the extra $100 dollars?

I started with shorties and a full length o/r midpipe and it was fine for the n/a application. I swapped out to long tibes with the appropriate midpipe when i went n/a for the extra air flow. If your staying n/a shorties should be fine for you.

The chrome headers will flake off and rust eventually. The ceramic will last alot longer. That is the advantage of them over chrome.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
152 Posts
u dont need headers it a pain in the ass to swap o/r h pipe and flows will be alot easier and when headers come rattling loos it vedy vedy tight to work on

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So headers are a pain and not worth it? just go from midpipe back? Will i still see an increase in power?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love the idea of these but wont you have to change out the headers when you wana change the cats? W/O cats= long headers; W/ cats= shorty headers? Am i right?

i believe its called a modualr system since its a 3 piece design you dont have to change headers when swapping cats they sell the striaght pipes to fit in there to replace the cats, if thats what you were wondering. I've also heard our stock manifolds flow pretty good not like the fox body's with the crimped headers

·
Registered
27 Posts
IMHO, if your on a budget, spend yr money elsewhere until the rest of the build requires this, especially if you are keeping cats on it anyhow...just get some nice sounding mufflers for the time being...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
there isnt much options for a H pipe. I love the concept of the Pypes 3 piece design but i want a H-pipe design for the deeper sound.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i love the sound of mine all MAC longtubes off road pro-chamber and dumps

1 - 17 of 17 Posts