Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved my o/h h pipe and will be installing in acouple hours. does anybody have any tips or pointers with the install of the new piece or the removal of the old piece?
thanks
kody

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I did mine I had a rough time getting the passenger side (I think) manifold bolts, maybe I was going at it the wrong way but one was a pain. I got it with a combination of swivels and extensions I believe.

The thing that helped the most was WD-40 on all the bolts to soak in since they will be rusted on, from there it was simple. Hope that helps a little

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Yeah

Whenever you start loosening the original pipe from the manifolds make sure you have some long extensions, 18 or 19mm socket, a swivel for that socket, and some PB blaster.

The drivers side is pretty easy to get loose, the passenger side is a PITA!!

Disconnect the battery so you if bump the starter you dont kill yourself or crap your pants when the sparks fly off of it.(electricity)

Anyways when you start on the passenger side you will need the swivel and an extension about 10-12" long. Its a pain in the butt to get to without taking the starter off but it can be done. (ask me how I know this :lol)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well today didn't go so well. I got the old pipe off except for the passenger side. I had to cut it infringe of the cat. The top bolt got stripped so now I have to load it up n take it to the shop so the exhaust doesn't burn the undercarriage. Hopefully the shop can cut the bolt off and weld a new one on that will work. I'm so POed cuz the shop can't do it till Tuesday. A 2 hour job turned into a 5 day job.

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
For the next time you do this, make sure you SOAK the bolts in wd-40 over night. Only use a 6-point socket, a 12 is just asking for trouble. And sometimes you will have to cut a wrench or two depending on the situation to either get it to move faster or in tight spots.

PS exhaust clip when your done :)

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
......... A 2 hour job turned into a 5 day job.
^Thats why you had problems

NEVER EVER think something that should be simple is going to be simple. BECAUSE IT AINT!

Forget WD-40 you need something stronger than that. My dad has some stuff in an orange can, I know the name of it starts with an A but anyways its similar to that PB blaster. You need some of that to loosen those nuts.

Im confused, Why were you cutting it all off? Its a bunch of nuts and bolts. You unbolt it and move it out of the way. There shouldn't be any cutting of anything.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I soaked the bolts in PB Blaster for acouple hours. When I tried to get the top bolt loose, it stripped and became rounded. I tried to file it but the space is SO small!! Then I tried using a chizle to break the bolt off but the bolt is too strong. A lot of rust!! So now the shops going to gave to either torch or cut the bolts and maybe the stud then weld a new stud to the header. I'll post pictures of the shity bolt when I get to a computer.

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
Just bolt them up, welding is just going to be a headache if you ever have to change it later. Wost comes to worse snap the bolt in purpose and use a punch and beat the **** out of the stud until it pops out. :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
You should have soaked it overnight with PB blaster thats what i did and it worked like a charm, Also it helps to remove the starter first to give you more room but its not compeltly necessary i did mine with the starter on. Also you must have been using the wrong size socket or didnt have it completly on the nuts all the way cuz fasteners that big shouldnt be getting stripped at all. Also keep the U joints as strait as possible, i think i did my passenger side wiht 2 u joints.

DONT TAKE IT TO A SHOP!!!!! Go buy a stripped nut and bolt kit at sears for 60$ and lightly tap the right size socket onto your stripped bolt with an extension on it since u wont be able to reach it by hand then unbolt it off!!!! Dont waste money at a shop trust me this kit is a lifesaver!!!! I stripped my lower caliper bolts when i did my brake job then after i got this kit i had those stripped bolts off in 2 mins flat. Also u can get the replacement bolt+nut u need at ford, they are expensive tho like 13 bucks a bolt and 11 bucks a nut but still all of this would be cheaper than a shop i bet!

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
^ the first time i had to take the front calipers off my car, since it was sitting in this guys back yard for over a year they were so tight, but yes soaking it over night is the best idea ever, saves alot of trouble.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
you must have been using the wrong size socket or didnt have it completly on the nuts all the way cuz fasteners that big shouldnt be getting stripped at all.
^This

There is no way you could have stripped it if you were using the right size socket. Its either an 18 or 19mm 6 point socket and it needs to be a deep one.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Lol, I remember all your posts on the caliper, LOVe, and also +1 on the 6 point socket. They shouldnt even sell the 12 points. Strip it everytime.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didnt have a deep socket so it was only on half way. But i couldnt tell if it was on or not because the space was so small and high up there. I F'd myself up on this one :banghead

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
I didnt have a deep socket so it was only on half way. But i couldnt tell if it was on or not because the space was so small and high up there. I F'd myself up on this one :banghead

Then isn't only the bottom half of the nut stripped / rounded? If so, you should still be able to get it off with a deep well socket and some good soak time with pb blaster. Try heating up the nut with a pen torch for a while then putting some force on it.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
My uncle tried to chizle the bolt and know its all F'd up. :(

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its at the shop now. He cant work on it till tuesday but hopefully when i get it back it will sound AMAZING!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
:eek:

Oh My God!!! That looks awful. Good luck with it though post a video up whenever you get it back.

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
Find a smaller socket and put it on top then use a hammer to hit it on, then loosen it. Its how we used to take the lock lugs off cars in the shop if they didnt have the proper key or whatever reason.

·
Registered
152 Posts
a torch and a car lift works best lol but was still a joke just make sure there tight so u dont have to be under there again..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts