Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Wanna be show worthy.
11,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my car rolled over to 75k miles so i had it I'm the shop to have its fluid changed tires rptated etc. I had them do a full look over and what not, had some annoying squeek in my clutch and wanted them to lool it over. Well they were going over the car they found my air intake manifold has a giant ass crack in it.. well my first though was wtf! Apparently its a common issue in our generation and now its going to set me back ~1600$ any one else have this problem?

/rant

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
$1600? Wtf. You can buy the PI Intake for $200, new gaskets for $30, and spend 2 hours doing yourself. I would never spend $1600 for that.

Its not really common with the aluminum crossover intakes, which you have. The older ones have a plastic crossover that usually breaks. Do you smell antifreeze when you pop your hood? They me be ****ing with you.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
No, they ARE ****ing you. Get a new intake manifold and gasket, put it on yourself. You should spend less than half of $1600. Depending on what manifold fits your needs.

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
lmao sounds like their trying to rob you. I had that issue back in 2000 with my 97 cougar it was $400 parts and labor. Nowhere close to $1600 it was a npi intake but $1600 is sick no way it should cost that much. Pull it yourself and look at it then get on the net and order one if its broken. $1600 looks more like $300 for parts and $1300 for about 2hrs of labor thats crazy.

·
Wanna be show worthy.
11,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They said with the fluid change and tires rotated today, the intake manifold repairs and 3hrs labor (cut it in half was 6hrs) we would walk out 1500 -1600$.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Ef that, thats retarded. Can you smell antifreeze at all? They might be breakin your nuts.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Well my car rolled over to 75k miles so i had it I'm the shop to have its fluid changed tires rptated etc. I had them do a full look over and what not, had some annoying squeek in my clutch and wanted them to lool it over. Well they were going over the car they found my air intake manifold has a giant ass crack in it.. well my first though was wtf! Apparently its a common issue in our generation and now its going to set me back ~1600$ any one else have this problem?

/rant
how was ur car still running with a hole in the intake manifold? :eek: or cud our cars drive like that? :confused: n wat part of mo-town u from op? im out in the east bay

·
Wanna be show worthy.
11,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No smell of antifreez, and it isn't a hole, but a "crack" their words, also I'm in central mo-town, I don't know if you know where Joho highschool is, but im around there.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Agree with everyone else. 1600 for that job is retarded. Go pick your car up, get your parts and get dirty.

·
reeking havoc
433 Posts
hey bro i live like 40 minutes south of modesto. i have an intake manifold with aluminum crossover almost new. shoot me $100 and its yours. i will pm you too

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'd be pissed too if they were going to ram it in without lube, too! What shop in Methdesto is ripping you off?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
That shop is ripping you off big time.

For a complete fluid change (oil/filter, coolant) using top notch stuff is less than $75.

Tire rotation is $15-20.

Manifold replacement about $400-450 with parts.

What are they charging an hour for labor, like $200 or something crazy like that.

If you pay the $1600 your stupid! Call the State Attorney's Office right in from of them and report them for highway robbery.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Anti freeze smell lingers. Has a really strong smell to it. If you don't smell it, your intake isn't cracked. I'd look for yourself to see if it is cracked. If it was and its not on the crossover the car would be run of like a dog. I would believe them

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
It's not impossible for the aluminum ones to crack. Mine cracked right where the aluminum and plastic meet. It also threw coolant all over the entire engine and reeked of anti freeze.

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
Yep. Don't bend over and pay them $1600. I spent $160 2 months ago at cjponyparts.com Then change it your self. Or even pay a decent shop 2 hours labor to install it.

Any of those chair shops (goodyear, firestone, pepboys....) generally will **** you

1 - 20 of 69 Posts