Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just changed the oil on my mustang and about 10 minutes later, i revved the engine to get the oil moving everywhere and noticed the RPM tachometer will rev to 4000 RPM and just hit a wall , it doesnt go further . im wondering what could cause this , since i didnt add too much oil , i added 4 and a 1/2 quarts and it hold 5 quarts and i added the correct type of oil , 5W-20 , so i dont know what could cause this RPM issue . car is a 2002 V6 Mustang and from what i know it should rev to about 5400 RPM if im not mistaken

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Is this occurring while driving in gear, or while sitting still in neutral? Has the car been tuned? It sounds like you're probably hitting the neutral rev limiter.

Add another 1/2 quart of oil, and don't rev the he!! out of the engine in neutral...there's no reason to do so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it happens while in neutral and the car is completely stock ..im still just learning about cars , i didnt know it had a neutral rev limiter , i guess its fine n il add another half quart of oil , Thanks for the help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts