Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped some cards off at a Body shop the other day. Guy called me today to compound a boat (Gel Coat). I am going to attempt M105/Yellow/PC on it to see if it works. I might end up barrowing the guy's Dewalt/Wool/M105. The owner does not want a perfect finish, just removing the oxidation and get it some shine back.

However, it seems that he had been going to a previous local detailer. The fact that he called me instead, shows that he must not be satisfied with that detailer.

Hopefully I can impress them and continue doing work for them. May have a continuing business partner... would be great.

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
Congrats and good luck. If you have a marine supply store you might want to swing buy. West Marine carries both Meguiars and Collinites marine lines.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Agreed!!! Try to find a Marine store that carries the Meguiars line, which a lot of them do, and you'll be in business. Otherwise it's not worth the time. If you can't find some than I would just order some and let him know you're ordering some specific products to do it.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Congrats man I would do what the guys suggested:)

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Theres none near here (Theres probally some 40 miles away on the coast). They needed it done asap, so Im heading there at 8am. I am gonna try the M105 just to see how it works. If its obvious, with the rotary/wool as well, that its not being dented... then I will tell him were gonna need some different products.

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
Congrats and good luck...

·
Zippy's Resident Milf
5,592 Posts
Good luck :)

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did the boat today, and got to use a DeWalt Rotary. OMG... the amount of correction you can reach with one pass of a compound and a rotary is just amazing. It puts my PC to SHAME! I am seriously buying me a rotary ASAP. Before I buy ANY more products, I am getting one. Its either going to be a Makita or a Flex(if I strike oil outside).

The boat... came out very nice. The Gel Coat is very thick, so it was forgiving in terms of the rotary. I never acually buffed any compound off. I just kinda... burnt it off I guess? I doubt this process would work on a car's clear.

The owner of the shop was not looking for perfection, but just to remove all the oxidation and grime from the boat. This was achived with the M105, DeWalt @ 1800rpms, some MFs, and Collinate #925 Fiberglass Wax (provided by the owner of the boat).

Sadly, I did not take any pics. I was more concerned with impressing the business owner.

I also cleaned the interior(ish) seats with diluted APC and 303 Aerospace Protectant. Again, they did not want restoration, just a good cleaning and some dressing. I choose the 303 due to the enviroment the boat would be in. The 30 SPF would be great for the vinyl.

The owner of the body shop and I reached a deal. Any customers he refers to me, I take a percentage of my earnings and give it to him. I am thinking 10%? Since all he is doing is sending them my way... MAYBE 15%. Say I do a two-stage for $300. He gets $30, and all he did was give them my name... sound fair? On a wash and wax, he gets $5. Not much, but again... all he did was give them my name.

Also... i am totaly going to this guy for body work now. They are setting up a brand new work bay complete with a paint booth and multiple body work bays. All the bays have access to Electric/Air hookups. Plus, this guy obviously knows his stuff.

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
That's great man. Rotary compounding is fun! I love my Flex. Oh, might be time to invest in a couple of.marine products.

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
I want a flex

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
i bought my rotary polisher from harbor freight about a year ago, couldnt be happier. does everything i need(harbor even has yellow, black, and wool pads) and i got it on sale for 20$(look in your local paper for a coupon). if it would ever happen to fail just take it back and exchange it. even if you had to buy a new one, you could buy at least 10 of them before you paid for a dewault polisher.

7" Variable Speed Polisher/Sander

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Either one...Got the itch to replace the PC...
Flex 3401 I dont suggest you jump to rotary yet man wait a while. You have to really take in alot into account when using a rotary you can just turning on set a speed and go to town on a ride.

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
Flex 3401 I dont suggest you jump to rotary yet man wait a while. You have to really take in alot into account when using a rotary you can just turning on set a speed and go to town on a ride.
Well I have acquired some practice painted metal...Thats why I am thinking of picking on up just to try it out on the spare junk metal that I can get good on and still use the PC on my car...

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Well I have acquired some practice painted metal...Thats why I am thinking of picking on up just to try it out on the spare junk metal that I can get good on and still use the PC on my car...
Well in that case read this and I do suggest you read all of it. It took me a few nights to read it all but it was worth it the Zenith point technique is essential.

Machine Polishing by Rotary Polisher - Full Guide - Detailing World

Also check out these videos. These guys are some of the best detailers in the US and the UK.

Remember this is for finishing the first video show compounding.

New Flex PE 14-2 review

Hope this helps you get a better idea of rotary use I know it helped me out alot man.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts