Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Stew
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was thinking of going to the track tomorrow... however.... i dont have a helmet.....

"HelmetRequired in all vehicles faster than 13.99 seconds. Helmet must meet SNELL 2000 or better standards (must have label inside of helmet). NOTE: In January 2012 the requirement will be SNELL 2005 or better."

I havent proven that I can run faster than 13.9, so do you think i really need one yet?

EDIT: Just watched the 87 performance tune vid from AM and it got 13.7 stock with 87p..... so i guess i can do better than that.... cant buy a helmet tonight so i guess im not going

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
Yeah, you never got back to me about what you were doing tomorrow lol

·
Stew
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WELL, nothing now. Im not going to drive all of the way up there just for them to say my car is too fast and I need to go buy an expensive helmet! So im free tomorrow

·
Registered
491 Posts
I used two different, cheap helmets when I was riding up to a year back.

AFX-16 was very lightweight and took up little extra space. Actually felt really weird how it's shield was barely beyond my eyelashes - their helmets wear moderately smaller than their fit. I have a pretty big dome, wear a Large and their Large was definitely like a Medium. This gave me massive headaches if I wore it for more than 5 minutes at a time. Chin-strap wore with a nasty tear in about 5 months of daily riding... didn't stop me from wearing it, since it was at the end of the strap, but I'd always think about it as I'd thread it through it's loops.

Also rode 90% of the time with an EXO-400. It's padding and overall build quality was obviously better, but it was also much heavier and bulkier in all dimensions than the AFX. It's a tradeoff - you don't have to wear your helmet for long in dragging, but you don't have to snap your neck around a lot either, so the real big negatives I experienced with either helmet sort of doesn't apply.

The Scorpion also had the [SNELL] right on the back of the helmet, too. Some examples for your consideration, hahaha.

AFX FX-16 Helmet - Multi Silver - KneeDraggers.com

Scorpion EXO-400 Polycarbonate Helmet - Solid Dark Silver - KneeDraggers

Scorpion EXO-400 Helmet - Lilly Black - KneeDraggers.com

·
Turbo'd Hot Hatch
807 Posts
Hmm wish I had more time. Lol. Make sure you take pics/video if possible. I'm jealous. Haha

·
Stew
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, cant get a helmet before tomorrow.... so maybe next time

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
I want to get my car prepped for Willow Springs, thats my big goal

·
Stew
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ehhh, im not paying over $100 to go to a track. I could put that money to better use. It would be fun, sure, but..... eh

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
ehhh, im not paying over $100 to go to a track. I could put that money to better use. It would be fun, sure, but..... eh
That's basically the cost to go to a theme park, except this one is more fun, exciting and adrenaline rushing where YOUR in control of the ride.

But hey, we all have our priorities. I spend over $100 in food each week going out, so its just a week of me making sandwiches for lunch instead of resturants/fast food dining.

Rob you should go and have fun. I'm going to wait till I get my car lowered, and get my suspension done in 6 months or so.

·
Turbo'd Hot Hatch
807 Posts
That's basically the cost to go to a theme park, except this one is more fun, exciting and adrenaline rushing where YOUR in control of the ride.

But hey, we all have our priorities. I spend over $100 in food each week going out, so its just a week of me making sandwiches for lunch instead of resturants/fast food dining.

Rob you should go and have fun. I'm going to wait till I get my car lowered, and get my suspension done in 6 months or so.
Yeah I should. LOL. :D We shall see.

Did you decide what kind of springs/suspension you would want to go with yet?

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
I was talking to my friend earlier at the gym and I think he has helped me to weigh my decision and I may opt for the Eibach (sport/street?) kit (not the pro kit), for the 1.5" drop. He had a similar kit on one of his previous cars and he said they ride really smooth (for what they are...)

But I also want new control arms and a couple other things

·
Turbo'd Hot Hatch
807 Posts
I was talking to my friend earlier at the gym and I think he has helped me to weigh my decision and I may opt for the Eibach (sport/street?) kit (not the pro kit), for the 1.5" drop. He had a similar kit on one of his previous cars and he said they ride really smooth (for what they are...)

But I also want new control arms and a couple other things
Do you have a link to the kit?

·
Stew
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
now a friend of mine at work was telling me that he doesnt recommend JUST springs.... he said that causes extra wear and tear on the struts.... which makes sense.... however, i figure it will take a long time for the struts to go, so i could just fix them in a few years when they give out

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
now a friend of mine at work was telling me that he doesnt recommend JUST springs.... he said that causes extra wear and tear on the struts.... which makes sense.... however, i figure it will take a long time for the struts to go, so i could just fix them in a few years when they give out
Stewart, did you not read my post? lol. Check out my build page, when I say 'suspension' I'm referring to much more than springs (struts, braces, control arms....)

And I would not lower your car unless you get the spring kit approved for the 'stock' suspension. Otherwise do it right all at once

1 - 20 of 29 Posts