Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my v6 mustang has been getting half of the milage that it should be, it is supposed to be getting around 23 average and it is getting 12 average...
anyone know what could possibly be wrong with it before i take it to a dealership?

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
What do you mean "supposed to be"? Are you talking EPA numbers? Have you ever seen 23mpg from the car in the past?

How do you drive the car?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i usually track my mpg myself and do the simple math and come up with 23, lately ive been busy and havent done it for a while and did it and got 12...
surprisingly i used to drive it harder than i do today... i know, im stumped too

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Well, you will see a definite hit in mileage if your plugs are needing to be replaced, how many miles are on the car now? When's the last time you did a full tune-up?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
8,386 miles ( yes i looked but not right now i was just sittin in my car talkin on the phone before i went inside and happened to look) and in may i got a full tune up

·
Registered
374 Posts
wrong section i think enless v6's fromm 99-04. but it could be alot of things check the injectors.

·
Registered
978 Posts
you could take it in for a tune up and see what your mechanic says, granted its a trusted mechanic. it could be alot of things as renegaderacer says.........just hard to narrow it down from what your saying in your thread

·
Registered
349 Posts
Any sound of exhaust leaks?
Possibly bad o2 sensor...
+1 get it checked out by a mechanic.
If you are throwing any check engine codes, you could scan them yourself, but it sounds like all that is acting normal.

Simple math:
Used to drive harder= better milage

DRIVE HARDER!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i like your thinking lawndart, and yea ive had a friend with a scanner check it and it said the o2 sensor needed to be changed and there are no exhaust leaks i checked that the first thing but can the o2 sensor effect mpg?

·
Registered
374 Posts
OH GOD when my car through a code with a the o/r x long before i had a hand held it killed mpg and power pig rich damn! it could be everything on your car mabe the injectors are clogged the air filters dirty an o2 is bad a little leak low as tire pressure cars shiftn a little higher or converters ****ed up, and a cat it clogged. its unlikely and you'd be the most unlucky bastard in the world but hell i figure i'd throw some **** out there lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the reader said insufficiant cat flow
but arnt thr o2 sensors behind the cats so it could be either clogged cats or blown o2 sensor

·
Registered
374 Posts
the reader said insufficiant cat flow
but arnt thr o2 sensors behind the cats so it could be either clogged cats or blown o2 sensor
well theres always front o2 and rear (hard to say that use to our duals) the front or rear one could be ****ed the front checks the real afr on the engine to make sure you dont go lean and **** it up, the rear makes sure the cat is doing its job to pass emissions, either one will **** it.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Bad cats will do that also. Easy way to check is if they rattle. Bang on it (not super hard with hammer or you could break them) but tap hard on it.

But if you have o2 code then ya it is what is causing your mileage problems.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i had it read again and it was a 401 code not a 420 code so its the DPFE but thanks guys

1 - 19 of 19 Posts