Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an 05 GT Vert 5 speed with all the mods including Kooks LTH's. Getting close to putting Comp Cams (mild) on. Would like to hear from anyone and everyone that has experience, knowledge, or suggestions about this install. No blower yet, just to much money now. Thanks!!!:)

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
If you are really truly thinking of getting a blower I would wait on cams. I installed the 127200's thinking it was going to be a couple of years before I went with my blower but it came sooner than I thought. Now Im kinda stuck with these N/A cams, though I have been recently thinking of swapping them. But If I would have waited I'm sure a properly ground cam for my set up would have helped me drop a little boost and make 10-15 more hp, maybe even more.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Money!

You are 100% correct. I want a Whipple and it is more money now than I can afford. I understand that a Whipple will be just fine with Comp Cams, am I correct on that? Any experience with Comp Cams?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
A whipple is ok with SOME n/a comp cams, but not ideal....the thumper line though is prob the worst cams for a blower.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
Yep. You want to look at cams with a larger LSA and a longer exhaust duration for a blower. Like I said I have the NSR stage II N/A cams and it works but I should have gone with the stage II blower grind. That would have been a much better choice. So don't make the same mistake I did and rush to by cams because you will probably end up with a less than ideal set up. Cams should be one of the last mods you make and should be used to fine tune your power band.

·
RIP Carroll Shelby
105 Posts
Cams should be one of the last mods you make
Im trying to count how many threads I have read this in this week...
Obvious that most people don't listen to good advice... :whackylol:

·
RAT FINK
939 Posts
What would be the disadvantage of using blower cams on an n/a engine?

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
Im trying to count how many threads I have read this in this week...
Obvious that most people don't listen to good advice... :whackylol:
You know the saying, you can lead a horse to water.....
We do what we can, the rest is out of our control.

What would be the disadvantage of using blower cams on an n/a engine?
A good cam grind is a balancing act. Many factors are involved with getting the proper grind to work with your set up. But to keep it simple, boosted motors have a denser air fuel charge at a given volume. The intake lift and duration allows a certain volume of air to pass into the cylinder. Normally this volume of air/fuel is going to produce a given volume of exhaust. With a boosted motor you are going to get a greater volume of exhaust gases because more air and fuel got burned. A longer exhaust valve duration will allow these extra exhaust gases to clear the cylinder and make more room for the incoming air/fuel charge. Also in an N/A motor there is a bit of cylinder scavenging gojng on while both the intake and exhaust valves are open. This promotes the movement of out with the old and in with the new. Now during this process, some of the air and fuel pass right through the cylinder and out the exhaust without being burned and producing power. Kind of a necessary evil, But again we are talking about a boosted motor which will have a positive manifold pressure. This manifold pressure will help force/push the air/fuel charge into the cylinder and will not need the help of the exhaust to draw it into the cylinder. So a greater LSA is wanted to not let so much of the air/fuel mix to escape the cylinder and produce more power by being burned in the cylinder.

So, have a blower grind on an N/A motor is not going to be very efficient and probably hinder the production of power because too much of the unbalanced intake and exhaust ratio. Hope my simple explanation helps.

·
This hobby is expensive..
40 Posts
^+1... I absolutely love my setup, but if I were to do it all over again I would have bought the cams last... maybe not buy any at all and just stick with the stock sticks. I'd love to go FI (whipple or turbo... not sure which), but I know the H.R.'s aren't the best for either scenario... so, I'll have to buy a new set of sticks for that. ugh!

·
RIP Carroll Shelby
105 Posts
^+1... I absolutely love my setup, but if I were to do it all over again I would have bought the cams last... I know the H.R.'s aren't the best for either scenario... so, I'll have to buy a new set of sticks for that. ugh!
Cue FAYM any second now... LOL!
Popcorn anyone???

·
This hobby is expensive..
40 Posts
ugh... I foresee today is not going to end well.... lmao

·
4,253 Posts
Yep. You want to look at cams with a larger LSA and a longer exhaust duration for a blower. Like I said I have the NSR stage II N/A cams and it works but I should have gone with the stage II blower grind. That would have been a much better choice. So don't make the same mistake I did and rush to by cams because you will probably end up with a less than ideal set up. Cams should be one of the last mods you make and should be used to fine tune your power band.
Listen to Boss in this thread. He is spot-on. I would chime in, but he nailed everything I would have said.

I'd rep him, but I gotta spread it.

Cams last.

Mine are still stock.

Think about that.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I bough the mutha thumprs and thinking I was going 1 way then went another. Listen to boss do the cams after you have the blower or whatever you chose in terms of bigger power. I love my cams but will be useless with the procharger.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After hearing some VERY good comments the cams are last. Got to have the blower first and then the cams. THANKS to everyone.

·
RAT FINK
939 Posts
So, have a blower grind on an N/A motor is not going to be very efficient and probably hinder the production of power because too much of the unbalanced intake and exhaust ratio. Hope my simple explanation helps.
Part of the reason I asked this is because I was looking at the spec sheet for Lunati's 3V cams- all their blower cams have the same LSA as the n/a cams, but just have more exhaust duration.

Lunati's 3V cam offerings are weird, all of their cams have a fair bit more duration than everyone else's especially on the exhaust side.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
Part of the reason I asked this is because I was looking at the spec sheet for Lunati's 3V cams- all their blower cams have the same LSA as the n/a cams, but just have more exhaust duration.

Lunati's 3V cam offerings are weird, all of their cams have a fair bit more duration than everyone else's especially on the exhaust side.
Well I'm not that familiar with the Voodoo cam specs but every company is going to be different and like I said earlier it is a balancing act. Maybe they feel they are getting more power out of the longer exhaust. I'm not an engineer but I'm sure the R&D for each company has their reasons. You as the consumer must choose what you think is going to work the best for you.

And they probably don't really need to change the LSA between the two grinds because I bet they don't have some stupid overlap to make it idle rough. Meaning they are probably happy with the performance for both N/A and boosted motors. It is the cams with the big overlap like hot rods or comp muthers that have too much overlap for a boosted motor. And I'm not saying you can't run these cams with an S/C, just that you can run a much better power producing cam with boost.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts