Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wanted to know if anybody knows the real weight difference?

i was set on the qa1 because of the price and i didn't think it weighed that much more but then i talked to a dude from upr and he said that their k member is 18 and the qa1 is 36. way bigger difference than i thought. thats 18 pounds difference on just the k member alone. that doesn't include the a arms...i mean if your goin to a tubular k and one of the advantages is obviously weight then why go with a tubular k that is eighteen pounds heavier...

i don't see why that info would be wrong but wanted to post this anyway see what else i could come up with or see if he was mistaken or see if yall can make me feel good about staying with the qa1. he also told me the qa1 tends the change the wheelbase a bit...but ehh i don't care.

·
Registered
997 Posts
i havent herd anything bad about either.
i wish i could tell you more but i dont run one yet. :sorry
the qa1 is suppose to be nice though. if i were a drag guy
i'd go for it. personally

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
4130 chromoly tubing is a superior material for any rollcage or chassis structure. One of the greatest advantages is its strength to weight ratio. You can achieve an equal or in most cases stronger assembly when using an alloy tubing. The weight of an average rollcage can be reduced by almost 40 percent when using appropriately sized 4130 materials. The other great benefit to using alloy tubing is its ability to flex without breaking or bending immediately. The spring-back of 4130 tubing is almost double that of ordinary mild steel tubing, leaving the chassis to flex without breaking. Other than the additional cost, welding chromoly tubing is the only other disadvantage, as it has to be tig welded. Even so, with todays technology of filler materials, as well as square wave welding technology (pulse welding), it is much easier to learn to tig weld. There are also better blends of filler material to create a more desirable weld. All the options weighed, chromoly is the best way to go.

·
Old timer
9,296 Posts
4130 chromoly tubing is a superior material for any rollcage or chassis structure. One of the greatest advantages is its strength to weight ratio. You can achieve an equal or in most cases stronger assembly when using an alloy tubing. The weight of an average rollcage can be reduced by almost 40 percent when using appropriately sized 4130 materials. The other great benefit to using alloy tubing is its ability to flex without breaking or bending immediately. The spring-back of 4130 tubing is almost double that of ordinary mild steel tubing, leaving the chassis to flex without breaking. Other than the additional cost, welding chromoly tubing is the only other disadvantage, as it has to be tig welded. Even so, with todays technology of filler materials, as well as square wave welding technology (pulse welding), it is much easier to learn to tig weld. There are also better blends of filler material to create a more desirable weld. All the options weighed, chromoly is the best way to go.
Nice google.

On the Ground Performance | Informational Links

·
Registered
689 Posts
springs - Stock = 15lbs, UPR = 5lbs
CC plates - Stock = 1lb, UPR = 1lb
A-arms - Stock = 12lbs, UPR = 4lbs
K-member - Stock = 55lbs, UPR = 17lbs

Total weight of stock parts = 83lbs
Total weight of UPR kit = 27lbs

Total weight savings = 56lbs!!!!!!!!!!

this was my weight savings from the upr set up

·
Registered
978 Posts
man thats some good weight to save mounder!

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Nothing wrong with a copy and paste if its really good info. And on a side note no one was contributing any information so something is better then nothing!

+ Reps for a good source of info...

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so then why did you recommend the qa1 kit in another thread when its mild steel and not chromolly?

btw, i guess a better title might have been qa1 vs upr...although the main part i was looking at was the material each was made of because of the weight difference.

i did decide on the qa1 though. not because i think mild steel is better because honestly i think i'd like to have the upr...BUT the sale for upr is now over and it would be $150 more for the upr...and the qa1 is still pretty decent. so i'm getting the qa1

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
so then why did you recommend the qa1 kit in another thread when its mild steel and not chromolly?

btw, i guess a better title might have been qa1 vs upr...although the main part i was looking at was the material each was made of because of the weight difference.

i did decide on the qa1 though. not because i think mild steel is better because honestly i think i'd like to have the upr...BUT the sale for upr is now over and it would be $150 more for the upr...and the qa1 is still pretty decent. so i'm getting the qa1
Because I have friends who use QA1 and they work well. However, I recently learned that QA1 is designed for drag apps. I am into the corner carving so I canceled my ordr and went with MM K and SLA.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh ok cool. well thats good for my setup as i will be going the drag racing route...

will probably get some lakewood struts later on.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
UPDATE!!

i went to look at the qa1 i was looking at to see if it had to be payed for using paypal or if it could be payed for another way and i go to the link only to find that the price had been raised from 540 shipped to 585 shipped...and i thought the upr sale ended sunday night BUT it actually ends tonight meaning the sale IS still on and that would make the upr kit 700-15percent=695+10 dollar shipping=705...meaning the difference is only twenty bucks now that the qa1 went up in price...long story short, after i found out the sale is still on and the qa1 price went up, the price difference between the two was only $20 meaning i got the upr which is much lighter for only twenty bucks difference as opposed to the bigger price difference before the qa1 went up.

you would think that the price raise on the qa1 would be bad, but since it made the difference between the two much smaller it meant that i was able to get the much lighter upr for only slightly more :D :D :D (18lbs on just the k member alone, not even including a arms)

this is a christmas gift and i didn't wanna ask for the upr when it was gonna be 65bucks more minimum but when the qa1 went up and the difference is twenty bucks thats a different story and a less significant amount

1 - 17 of 17 Posts