Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has done one and who can give me a good description on which wires to swap on the solenoid...I read a story where a guy caught his car on fire because he wired something wrong and i dont want to do that...
My starter finally went out today
Pics would be nice...
Thanks,
Tony

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
I have a Powermaster. It has one wire just like a stock starter. I've had it for several years and it has been on more cars than I can count on my fingers and toes. Still works flawlessly.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
I have a Powermaster. It has one wire just like a stock starter. I've had it for several years and it has been on more cars than I can count on my fingers and toes. Still works flawlessly.
i have one also darrell

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Anyhow, the typical mini has a built in solenoid with 2 wires. One is the ignition wire that should come with the starter. Take the starter cable off the solenoid on the fender. Replace it with the ignition wire. The other end of the ignition wire goes to the solenoid on the starter. Take the starter cable and hook it to the starter. The other end hooks to the battery cable side of the solenoid on the fender. Easier than eliminating the solenoid.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
It does have a built in soleniod. There is a small post (ignition terminal) and a large post (starter cable terminal). I put a jumper wire connecting both and then ran the wire from the factory solenoid to the large terminal. I choose to keep the factory Ford soleniods on all my cars for functionality and reliability.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
It does have a built in soleniod. There is a small post (ignition terminal) and a large post (starter cable terminal). I put a jumper wire connecting both and then ran the wire from the factory solenoid to the large terminal. I choose to keep the factory Ford soleniods on all my cars for functionality and reliability.
Oh ok, I was trying to figure out how you guys had only one wire, but I wasn't going to say anything. That way obviously works, too, it basically does the same thing. Either way would be fine. As far as functionality (yes I had to look at how you spelled it) and reliability goes, when you do that, you are turning your solenoid into a relay, which a lot of people switch out for a bosch relay for the same reason. I on the other hand would do just like you did and keep it. I was just throwing it out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts