Modded Mustang Forums banner

mini tubs

39K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  hrpkustoms 
#1 ·
I AM GOING TO REDO SOME OF THE METAL ON MY 65 FASTBACK, SO WHILE i'M AT IT I THOUGHT THAT MINI TUBS WOULD BE A GOOD UP GRADE. i KNOW THEY GIVE YOU ABOUT 2" MORE SPACE. I THINK YOU CAN GET A 305 TO A 315 TIRE UNDER THEM.

WILL DOING TUBS MESS WITH THE BACK SEAT? I KNOW PEOPLE DO IT ALL THE TIME BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY DO WHEN THEY NARROW THE INSIDE OF THE CAR

AND WERE IS THE BEST PLACE TOi GET THE TUBS?

#2 · (Edited)
The two places that I know of as far as kits go are Detroit Speed and Autoworks International.

I bought the AI kit for my '66 coupe, but never got it installed before I switched to the '68 fastback. Luckily the kit works in both cars. I'm running a 315 series tire on a 18 x 10 rim, plus it will be bagged so I need the extra room to drop it low. Not real sure on how much the interior will need to be modified (not familiar with the fold down rear seat) to get it to work, but I plan to only go add as much wheel well needed to keep the interior mods down to a minimum.

I know a guy near me that had a '66 coupe, mini tubbed, 315s, narrowed 8.8 rear end, only had to make a slight modification to the back seat, couldn't even tell from inside the car. I attached a few pics of his car. He didn't use a kit, just added some metal, but his fabrication skills are much greater than mine :).

What's your plan for the suspension? Crites spring relocation kit or 4 link or ?

Attachments

#3 ·
HAy thanks for the info. I'M STILL A LITTLE CONCERNED ABOUT THE BACK SEAT

I THINK I'M GOING TO JUST BUY A SET OF INNER FENDER WELLS LIKE YOUR BUDDY AND MODIFY THEM TO FIT THE SEATS.

I HAVE A REAR SUSPENSION LIKE A TOTAL CONTROL SO I DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE LEAF SPRINGS. I ALSO HAVE A EDSEL 9" THAT I'M GOING TO USE. THEY ARE THE SAME SIZE AS 65 REAR ENDS.

THANKS FOR SHOWING THE PICTURE OF THE WIDE TIRES. THATS JUST WHAT I HAVE IN MIND.

#4 ·
Check around to make sure, but I think the rear end is going to have be narrowed to make it work (to keep the tire inside the well, they will have to move inward, thus the narrowed rear end).

Kinda like the chicken or the egg as far as wheels (offset/backspacing) and the width of the rear end. Either pick your wheels and have the rear end narrowed to fit those or narrow the rear end and pick the wheels with the proper offset and back spacing.

I think it is easier to pick the rim and then narrow to the proper width. My rims (I bought the ones off the car pictured) have a -11 offset for a bigger lip and 5.5 back spacing. I need to mock up the tires and measure, then I will cut down my 9".

I know of at least one guy on another site that has a '65 fastback that has been tubbed. Might be worth sending them a pm to see how far you can go without modifying the backseat. Let me know.

#6 ·
Also, is your car painted? I plan on trimming my fender lips now, just to have the extra room...much harder to trim after its painted.

Rusty, man I wish you were closer. Would love to have you doing my car. Any insight on how far you can tub without fold down rear seat modification for the '65/66 and ''67/68?

#7 ·
At this time we have projects from Ohio and Indiana in the shop and someone from Montana is shipping us a car next year.

We are in the middle of doing 3 65/66 and 1 1968 that have been mini tubbed but at this point have not gotten far enough along to test fit the rear seat. They all have been tubbed about 2".

#8 ·
Wasn't the distance that would be the issue...I know you have fair/honest shop rates, maybe I should give you a call and see if its within the budget. At least I know it would be a top notch build.

Is the '68 you are doing a coupe or fastback? and would that make a difference on the seat fit at all. I have the AI mini tub kit and the extra piece that adds up to a 7" wheel tub...maybe I should just use the least amount of material possible when I tub it...but I am also putting Ride Tech air bags on it, so it needs to have plenty of room to drop down.

#10 ·
Is the 2" enough to slam it on top of a 315/30/18 series tire on a 18 x 10 rim with 5.0 back spacing? I only want to tub the minimum, but I don't want to do it twice...

sorry Rockit, don't mean to hijack. Did you every find the answer to your question?

#12 ·
This post actualy when better than I had hoped. Other than no one has ever progressed far enough in there build to put the back seat in the car to see if it will fit, I got all the info I think I need.

I'm going to modify a new inner fender well and give my self the two inches that are there between the frame and the old wheel housing. New stock wheel housing are $50 minie tubs are $130 to $150 each.

#13 ·
Guy from another site (with a '65, tubbed and fold down seat) says you can take it all the way to the frame rail, but to make sure the top is rounded like the stock wheel well. (see GPR's picture). The after market kits are squared off. See the links above. This will help the panels fit without any modification.

Good luck.

Jay

#14 ·
I'm just about half way through installing my mini tubs. I got them from Car ID. they had the best price. BUt there shipping was a lot and I complained, so they cut me a deal on the shipping. They cost me with shipping what the same Good mark tub are at other dealers for just the tubs.

I looked over the project and decided to just replace all the metal on the back of the car. It didn't look that bad and could of been saved from the out ward apperance. When I started cutting off the quarters off, I found lots of bondo and rust, so I'm happy with my descison to go all new.

The outer wheel well I got from NPD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.