Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So driving to work today my car started misfiring really bad randomly and the car sounded like it was under water, the battery light blinked then stopped quickly after and the check engine light blinked as i pulled over and turned the car off. i turned it back on and it was fine. the past few days my car has sounded like a spark plug backed out, a little popping hiccupy noise in the idle and in mid RPM's driving around town, so i checked the plugs earlier today and tightened them a little bit. i don't get what it could be unless the 2 new napa brand coils i bought are bad? then a second time during my 10 minute drive to work, it misfired again, no blinking lights, then randomly just went to idle from a stop and fixed itself and ran fine. then driving back home after about 5 minutes it did it a third time and once again it just went away. how the hell do i fix this and what could it be?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Check for a hairline crack in the top of the coils, i had more problems with mine last week and thats what it was, was hard to even see it.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i might try switching the new coils out with the stock ones because i found out the problem was the plugs last time now the coils... so just on the very top look for a crack? like where the wiring plugs in?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Go ahead and replace all the coils man...theres some good ones for 299.99 but I don't remember the site...ill get it for you... They prove to pick up a tenth or two on the track suposably

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats too expensive first off when i could just replace one or a few, and second i've heard aftermarket coils are all crap.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Mine was cracked on top where the sticker is.

i guess everyone has the sticker on the very top? sorry was being kinda blunt.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Mine was cracked on top where the sticker is.
just ordered that hood as you know i ****ing love it HAHAHA,

sounds kinda like the alternator is going bad too, do a voltage test to be sure!

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
alternator really? did you peel your sticker off kevin? i'll check this tomorrow for sure.
yeah anytime the battery light comes on its generally the alternator saying wtf so i'd check it just to be safe!

·
Registered
900 Posts
alternator really? did you peel your sticker off kevin? i'll check this tomorrow for sure.
nope i noticed it with it still on there. Too bad it was after i took out every spark plug and checked them. Could of saved me alot of trouble.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Check your grounds. And wires. BAttery light going on, then turning off would make me think of a ground that is loose and lost connection. But as they said could as well be the alternator. Although if it was going out it would of probably stayed on ( and a seperate issue with CEL ).

My car shut off once while driving and i had no idea wtf happened. I just got it out of the shop for rear end work (and tranny and other ****). Well the battery negative cable wasn't tight!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
but what would make it misfire? i doubt a ground cable or something could make it misfire. i'll check them anyway, i had to mess with them when i hooked up my HID's to them, i mounted the ballasts and put the grounds on the part of the frame behind the headlight where theres a little green bolt on a ground

·
Registered
374 Posts
Check your grounds. And wires. BAttery light going on, then turning off would make me think of a ground that is loose and lost connection. But as they said could as well be the alternator. Although if it was going out it would of probably stayed on ( and a seperate issue with CEL ).

My car shut off once while driving and i had no idea wtf happened. I just got it out of the shop for rear end work (and tranny and other ****). Well the battery negative cable wasn't tight!
i thought about a ground wire my self but usually they do some WIERD ass things when theres a loose ground that happened to me once the driver side of the car would light up and the passenger side wouldnt LOL, it had a stroke.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts