Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Super embarrassed here, but manually shifting my auto today after some serious wheel spin the tach wrapped to 7,000 rpm before I could shift to second.

Motor ran fine afterwards...idle was normal, no knocking, missing, noises or anything.

HOWEVER, I still need some peace of mind that I didnt screw anything up!

Last thing i need is for my crank to grenade :(

·
Registered
156 Posts
I reved out a stock bottom end to 7600rpm for almost every run last summer and my engine still runs fine. I seriously doubt you did any damage.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good to know! im running stock springs though :/

·
Wished my car was done.
267 Posts
The crank you shouldn't worry about it, its the rods that can't handle extreme rpms IIRC. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But to answer your question, your engine you should be fine. But I advise that you try to avoid it from now on IMHO

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whew, good!

From now on, no more manual shifting in an auto...its just not the same! its impossible to get the trans to hold first gear though and roll out of the hole without upshifting all the way to third!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess not, bought the car the way it is 1 month ago previously dyno tuned. I think 7k is the limiter...sounded like it was bouncing before i shifted.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
You need one of these.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
My rev limiter is set at 7k. I like to shift right around 6500 and defintely keel it under 6800 just to not overspin the kb. If it sounds like its running fine it is. Just try to not take it up that high again unless you dont care to build a new shortblock. Im not saying it will blow but there is a better chance

·
BTM AutoSport
2,710 Posts
your bottom end is fine for that rpm. The first thing that's going to crap itself are the valve springs. anywhere above 6500 and you're risking it.

·
Wished my car was done.
267 Posts
I have one in my car, and it ain't that great. You have to grind out the holes on the adjuster mount on the trans for it to even come close to setting the cable up to go into park. And the hammer function don't work that great either. It does look good though.

But now it could just be my car or something too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have stock springs too... the only reason it didn't rev higher is either because the computer wouldn't let it, or it was floating valves. lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is a pretty slick shifter!! looks clean too,

Dont plan on taking that high again... ;)

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

I have one in my car, and it ain't that great. You have to grind out the holes on the adjuster mount on the trans for it to even come close to setting the cable up to go into park. And the hammer function don't work that great either. It does look good though.

But now it could just be my car or something too.
bummer...oil well, but hey I bet less people hassle you for it being an automatic cause it looks like a stick now!

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

I have stock springs too... the only reason it didn't rev higher is either because the computer wouldn't let it, or it was floating valves. lol
damn thats intense! very good to know

·
Wished my car was done.
267 Posts
bummer...oil well, but hey I bet less people hassle you for it being an automatic cause it looks like a stick now!
Yeah I'm sure I'd get less hassle if my car had been running for the last 6 years but its been a damn project. I am hoping to have it driving and tuned before summer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well good luck to you man! nothing gets done quite as quick as expected!

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I powershifted from 3rd to 2nd before lol

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Yeah I'm sure I'd get less hassle if my car had been running for the last 6 years but its been a damn project. I am hoping to have it driving and tuned before summer.
Anyone who hassles you about it being an automatic has no business being around cars to begin with. I don't have a manual because it makes me more of a man, I have it because it's fun. Want an auto GT too, though.

Nothing like a vehicle that can flash up to the meat of it's powerband, and have the ability the multiply it's torque trifold out of the hole.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like your take on autos! I LOVE autos...but only if they are built. sloppy shifts and low stalls are irritating!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts