Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
So say we all.
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall

Ive been calling around to get the cost of putting a set of straight duals on my 00 V6 3.8L.

I have one shop that can use my existing pipe, custom attach an H pipe to replace the Y, and put on another cat and pipe for $275.

I have another shop saying $450 and another saying $700 (says his cats alone are $325).

The $450 and $700 shop are telling me Im not going to like the duals on a V6, it will just be bangy and loud.

Does anyone here (and Im sure there is) have duals on their 99-04 V6s?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Yea almost everyone here has duals, and no, they actually sound pretty good. 450 wouldn't be bad if it's including the mufflers and cats, but I'd say its best to buy what you want and have them put on, maybe with high flow cats. And there's no reason the first guy you mentioned should have to put another cat on...you already have them on each side. Look at the exhaust thread for what different setups sound like.

·
So say we all.
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea almost everyone here has duals, and no, they actually sound pretty good. 450 wouldn't be bad if it's including the mufflers and cats, but I'd say its best to buy what you want and have them put on, maybe with high flow cats. And there's no reason the first guy you mentioned should have to put another cat on...you already have them on each side. Look at the exhaust thread for what different setups sound like.
Yeah I did. I was just hoping for some good and bad stories and maybe some people could tell me what they paid for theirs. =)

·
Registered
389 Posts
You don't need another cat, so obviously the first quote is dead wrong and he doesn't know what you're talking about. You should be able to get this done for under $250 depending on the mufflers you buy.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Yep I actually paid like 150 for mine. I basically got GT takeoffs from the guy I work for for free. Then I got the H pipe adapter from AM. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I paid like 500. The shop made a custom H-Pipe and two new tail pipes dumped at the rear.

·
So say we all.
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shop for $275 was going to custom weld an H pipe and use my stock single on the left form and another stock pipe on the right without tips (which I can get myself at any autoparts store).

Downside to that - the place is like 40 minutes away and if it needs more then 1 day to work on it, I am screwed.

·
Registered
304 Posts
im pretty sure our cars have 4 cats stock so all they will have to do is cut the y and add one muffler i payed 400 and it sounds great

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Downside to that - the place is like 40 minutes away and if it needs more then 1 day to work on it, I am screwed.
It shouldn't take more than a day. My car was in the shop for about 5 hours to get my exhaust on and I doubt they even worked on it for much of that.

·
Registered
258 Posts
i am running divorced dual exhaust with dumps and it cost me $150
and u don't need cat's unless u want to upgrade to hi-flows cat's but just for dual exhaust it's cut y pipe and running from there

·
So say we all.
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It shouldn't take more than a day. My car was in the shop for about 5 hours to get my exhaust on and I doubt they even worked on it for much of that.
40 minutes and 40 miles too!

I have a couple calls into a local shop right by where I work.

Youve all convienced me =) Im thinking about going with a custom H pipe and using another pipe along with the stock.

·
Registered
281 Posts
mine was in the shop for 2 hours. i had the Y-pipe cut and divorced pipes welded to a Magnaflow Catback.

·
The George Forman of Keepers
2,356 Posts
Sounds great and wont have problems as long as you keep the cats and keep the exhaust simple. You start deleting cats and your going to need a tune among others things.

If I could do it over again I would have just kept the simple dual exhaust and not deleted the cats and put headers on.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you dont feel like going to the shop you could always try to do it yourself. Jegs has an H pipe for about 160 and then you can use whatever GT catback exhaust you want. No cutting required. I got one comin in the mail as we speak. Now just gotta save up for the catback.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
ok. so i have one question can you delete the front set of cats and not get a code? they seem like pointless.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts