Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folk's, with spring in the air & the 2010 racing season upon us, I wanted to try & unite the bracket racer's ( & mabie get some new guys to the track as well) on our forum. the forming of the MM BRACKET RACING CREW (you did join didn't you? well what are you waiting for? :D) with my co-founder F8L GT was the first step & now it's time to get a thead for us going. post anything you like related to bracket racing. I was kinda hoping for a list of wins, point standings at your home track & just general day to day experiances at your track. another usefull part to this thread can be to make plans to meet up at special events (I'll be at Ford Norwalk & NMRA Columbus for shure.). so join up & start posting.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
If anyone would like to join, just click my MM Bracket banner on the bottom and it will bring you to a pm screen with my name on it ;)

Reactions: lcorriveau3

·
Registered
985 Posts
I love this! There are so many misconceptions about bracket racing, maybe this will help answer some questions. I'll be at Fords at the Summit as well. I did it last year and had a great time!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I too love this! I have been waiting so long to create or be apart of a bracket racing crew. I will be at Fords at the Summit also! Havent ever been to NMRA Columbus before but will likely have to try it out! I will post some stats later, cuz today is finally the day i get to start the teardown on my mustang!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
This brief bracket race vid is from over a year ago, before motor blew. Almost finished major rebuild. Anyway, Lance, who loves bracket racing, is at the wheel...he's pretty good at it. Car was launching off a 4r70w 3 speed with full manual valve, t-brake, & 2 step. Since switched to a 2 speed powerglide and lots of other upgrades.

video :: bracket2.flv video by forensicsteve - Photobucket

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
:rockon Steve, that is awesome

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Any thing going on for six-shooters?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
bracket racing is open to anyone. you should do a rew test n tunes and practice with ur car, the try a bracket race event. u will love it

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
bracket racing is open to anyone. you should do a rew test n tunes and practice with ur car, the try a bracket race event. u will love it
How would i go about doing this?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Bracket racing is just normal events that are at your track for local people. They usually race every weekend for points. Look for a schedule from your local track and it should have all the points races listed

·
Registered
685 Posts
I am intersted, I plan on going to the driver's meeting in Winterport, ME on the 28th.
This is a great idea you have come up with.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Hey guys!

I went to the track about twice a month last year and plan on the same this year. Mostly ran/run at Atco in south Jersey but also ran at Maple Grove and Englishtown a few times.
I did mostly test-and-tune runs but did end up doing a few bracket races.
Started out a 14-second car and now I'm knocking on 12's door.
I ran at 2009 NMRA Atco: True Street I backed in (ran a 13.6 and then ran slow to get close to 14.00) to the 14 Second Trophy (my avg of 3 runs was 14.000! - all luck!) and then the following day I was entitled to run in brackets on my ticket, and won a couple of rounds, but lost the quarterfinal round when I missed third gear (shifted into 5th - OUCH).

I pretty much suck at running a consistent number as of now. I guess I could put together 3 or 4 runs within a tenth of each other if I really focused on consistency instead of just going as quickly as possible.
Having a 5-speed without a 2-step makes it tricky to be consistent. Need to practice my reaction at the tree more this year. Should be fun!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Just watched the video above.
Your car is sick!

Wow, never saw a car run against a motorcycle at the drag strip before!

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Great job making it to the quarterfinal Sax. Do you have a shift light? A shift light in a manual car will help make you more consistant than just trying to watch or listen to the RPM's to know when the right time to shift is

Edit: Just like you I started out running in the low 14s and now running in the 12s. Cant wait to see what this baby can do this year

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Edit: Just like you I started out running in the low 14s and now running in the 12s. Cant wait to see what this baby can do this year
So you shaved off time by just getting better or by adding parts?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
So you shaved off time by just getting better or by adding parts?
Both. The more you drive, the better you get. You learn when to shift at the right time to have a quicker E.T. for the way you drive. And you also become quicker at shifting. Practice is also what gets you to run faster times

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
My car made the same power with the same gearing when I ran low 14s and now when I ran a 13.06.

I got quicker because:

Added parts during the season:

Lower Control arms (Maximum Motorsports Extreme) (keeps the car straight on the launch)
Drag Radials (Mickey Thompson) on Welds in rear (most beneficial mod of all)
Moved the battery to the trunk (slight improvement)
Line Loc (for easier burnouts)
Removed the A/C (slight improvement)
Strange adjustable struts and shocks (slight improvement)

Plus I think I drive a little better now too - learned how to launch and shift.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any thing going on for six-shooters?
everyones welcome at a bracket race. accually I have always recomended to guys just starting out to use a slower car, it's much easier & the car can grow with you or you can upgrade.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
glad to see I'll have some company at Norwalk this year. also glad to see this thread growing.

1 - 20 of 234 Posts