Modded Mustang Forums banner

20621 - 20640 of 20936 Posts

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
Good smoked brisket goes up to 195 degrees internal temp to get tender.
You don't need to crank up the temp with sous vide, if you add more time it works that way too. It never overcooks and you don't run the risk of losing additional moisture. Although, I would say you get a beefier flavor with more traditional methods.

At 155 the fat renders and at 165 the collagen breaks down, just needs time.

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
we don't have very many asians around here so they staff the japanese restaurants with mexicans thinking we can't tell the difference. but a few of us can
"How many times do we have to tell you this? We're phillipino, you asshole."

-Those guys at the Japanese restaurant, probably.

There's one Mexican place around here that's staffed by a handful of very young, very surly Indians. The last time I felt that hated by customer service was at a government building.

Good smoked brisket goes up to 195 degrees internal temp to get tender. Can the sous vide go to 220 degrees? Or i guess 195 since it would never get passed that temp, just take way longer. Full brisket, point or flat?
Now I'm intrigued by your technique. I was less than enthused at my last attempt; but I don't know if it was bad, or if I just had the bar set too high/compared it to how well the smoked pork turned out.

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
The family wants steak and shrimp for thanksgiving. So I'm gonna try doing a very light smoke/reverse sear on some steaks tonight in my smoker to see how it does to free up oven space.

·
PSN alphadong11
28,935 Posts
I don't have a sous deal. I prefer a real wood smoker but all I have is electric smoker.

Briskets I only smoke the full packers brisket which is the point with the fat cap in tact along with the flat. I don't trim much fat off. If the fat is over ½ in thick I will trim it down to that.

Smoke temp 220, ele probe in the middle and it beeps when it hits about 195 degrees internal.

I don't Foil until I pull it out at 195 degrees, foil, wrap in a blanket or towel and throw in a cooler{no ice) for a couple hours to rest.

If you only cook flats you probably have to marinade or foil early since fat helps out tremendously with the moisture. If you're on a real wood smoker, don't choke the chimney and avoid thick white smoke. You want a thin blue smoke-free with plenty of air flow. I leave the chimney wide open and control the temp with the lower damper/door.

Pork butt is very much the same. I'll probably add a sweeter rub with a pork but brisket I like salt/paprika/pepper base with maybe garlic powder or cayenne pepper if I got a case of the ****arounds

·
Administrator
33,193 Posts
i've never smoked anything but i've always wanted to and i feel like there's a lot of good information here that is going over my head that i'll appreciate in the future, so i'm going to bookmark this thread and forget about it until i'm sitting at home sick with raw pork food poisoning 8 years from now and come across it on an HDD backup and wonder why the **** i bookmarked a 1,032 page thread

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
my mom gave me 2 leftover hobos that i'm excited to eat tonight

are hobos a real thing or a my mom thing
how can hobos be real if our eyes arent real

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Also, I've never heard of that before lol

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

What is it

·
Administrator
33,193 Posts
idk i just made it up

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

lol it's a beef patty plus whole baby carrots plus sliced potatoes plus onions cut in circles. you put it all in a foil packet and bake it. ****ing delicious and filling

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

but beware becuz u r what u eat

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
After seeing Post Malone was drunk at a Hooters at 8AM, I think I finally have a role model.

i've never smoked anything but i've always wanted to and i feel like there's a lot of good information here that is going over my head that i'll appreciate in the future, so i'm going to bookmark this thread and forget about it until i'm sitting at home sick with raw pork food poisoning 8 years from now and come across it on an HDD backup and wonder why the **** i bookmarked a 1,032 page thread
You mean you'll go to click on this **** five years from now but the link is broken because Autoguide ****ed it up on the Googleweb (TM).

Then you'll just give up and have smoked pork drone delivered to your mouth in your self driving Mach E after paying for it with Bezosbux.

THE FUTURE.

my mom gave me 2 leftover hobos that i'm excited to eat tonight

are hobos a real thing or a my mom thing
Oh we're not talking about killing drifters? This next song is about the time I killed a drifter just to get an erection...

·
PSN alphadong11
28,935 Posts
Was curious and looking at studying on networking certs again and hoe lee **** stuff has changed. They pretty much removed network admins and combined with developers. The devices configure themselves aside from a little customization and can self rectify issues. So of instead of checking the commands on a switch or a router, you just fix the API that it gets the info from.
If I'm reading into it correctly.

So now on top of all the network **** ya gotta learn python and its sub gits. That **** scares me though. Someone gets into your API, changes the routes to point to a nefarious API and can capture everything. All your routers/switches are belong to us. Or am I just like you know and stuff?

·
Administrator
33,193 Posts
Was curious and looking at studying on networking certs again and hoe lee **** stuff has changed. They pretty much removed network admins and combined with developers. The devices configure themselves aside from a little customization and can self rectify issues. So of instead of checking the commands on a switch or a router, you just fix the API that it gets the info from.
If I'm reading into it correctly.

So now on top of all the network **** ya gotta learn python and its sub gits. That **** scares me though. Someone gets into your API, changes the routes to point to a nefarious API and can capture everything. All your routers/switches are belong to us. Or am I just like you know and stuff?
i spent a **** ton of money a few months back on study material for comptia certs with the goal of getting into cyber security. less than 2 weeks later they retired all the tests i bought material for and from what i've read the new test content is so different that all the old stuff is irrelevant. would have to spend all that money again. said **** it, trying to become a lunch lady now

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
i spent a **** ton of money a few months back on study material for comptia certs with the goal of getting into cyber security. less than 2 weeks later they retired all the tests i bought material for and from what i've read the new test content is so different that all the old stuff is irrelevant. would have to spend all that money again. said **** it, trying to become a lunch lady now
In case you don't already know, Harvard or MIT (or both) have their computer programming courses online for free. I don't believe you have to actually buy any material to access them.

I looked into it when I was worried I was going to get typecasted into flying furniture and bumfuck nowhere Texas but then realized I ****ing hate programming with a fiery passion and there was no way I was going to find the will to dedicate hobby time to it.

But it's definitely an option if you wanted to teach yourself without dishing out the money. Pretty sure you can get C++ or some other coding program without paying as well or just find it on the high seas.

After that it'd just be a matter of trying to convince someone you know what you're doing even without the formal education, but I've read stories of people doing that so it's totally a possibility.

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
So I think I went too slow on the steaks. I put some pecan chips in the smoker to give it a light smoked flavor, which I don't think was the right idea. The smoker is designed for wood chunks and even soaked chips kept catching fire, so I had to keep the temp down.

The thermometer on the smoker is off, by a good amount so I'm not sure what temp it was actually running. I kept them in until they were 115 internal, and they were a bit more dry than expected but my dad absolutely loved them.

I did get a smoke ring lol. I'm gonna try one more time without chips and crank up the temp as high as it will go. I did a little test a while back and the smoker can maintain 259-260 at full bore with the vent closed.

20621 - 20640 of 20936 Posts