Modded Mustang Forums banner

10161 - 10180 of 20938 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
3,679 Posts
Test fit the new intake set-up, glad to see it fits. Had to lube it up and dropkick it off my workbench to get it in there without pulling the distributor though.

20171228_223426 by Brett, on Flickr
This is not a car forum anymore.

·
Thrbfirs..... Meat Eggs
4,391 Posts
friday.

**** today.

dads back in the hospital.

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Hard drive is starting to get read errors. Should have known it was going bad when it was having trouble copying files and I had to keep hitting skip to go the next. Time for some NAS style drives I guess. Of course this would happen after I put the **** all together.

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
This is not a car forum anymore.
MM is now Modded Memes. Internal combustion engine vehicles and personal owned automobiles are a thing of the past. Please download the Apple/GM/Uber/Lyft ridesharing apps to summon the electric vehicle of your needs.

friday.

**** today.

dads back in the hospital.
****, that sucks, man.

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Just spent the past three days at my parents helping my dad reinstall the engine and transmission into a 1999 Ford Windstar. Easily the most horrible experience I've ever had working on a vehicle. But it's been sitting in his garage for at least a year and has been broken down for nearly five due to the engine throwing a rod through the oil pan. But as of 15 minutes ago, the engine and transmission are officially sitting back on the k-member (the engine has remained in the van hanging from a support beam while the transmission was on the floor).

Good lord he better roll this thing onto a flatbed and have it taken to the junkyard for scrap if it doesn't run again. Such a waste of time working on the stupid thing and now that I'm in Seattle, I'm not around to help him with it which is why I offered to help him while I was in town and help him get it to a point where the rest of the work doesn't require two people.

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
I'll be glad when this holiday traffic goes the **** away. 3 lane road stopped at a red light, and none of the 3 cars in front were paying attention when the light turned green until I honked plus the lady in front was one of those assholes that leaves 8 car spaces when she pulls up behind someone. Like the traffic behind her is going 88 mph to flux capacitor her in the ass and move her an unreasonable amount of distance forward. Watch her jump out of a moving car when she gets in a Tesla and it stops at a normal ass distance.

"Were gonna crash! I'm bailing ieeeeeeeeeee"

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

Informer, ya' no say dadda me Snow me I'll go blame,
A licky Boom Boom Down.

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
Just spent the past three days at my parents helping my dad reinstall the engine and transmission into a 1999 Ford Windstar. Easily the most horrible experience I've ever had working on a vehicle. But it's been sitting in his garage for at least a year and has been broken down for nearly five due to the engine throwing a rod through the oil pan. But as of 15 minutes ago, the engine and transmission are officially sitting back on the k-member (the engine has remained in the van hanging from a support beam while the transmission was on the floor).

Good lord he better roll this thing onto a flatbed and have it taken to the junkyard for scrap if it doesn't run again. Such a waste of time working on the stupid thing and now that I'm in Seattle, I'm not around to help him with it which is why I offered to help him while I was in town and help him get it to a point where the rest of the work doesn't require two people.
I'm amazed he even bothered with something like that. Probably not worth much back together. But I'm the wrong person to talk to, considering I've got at least 2 Mustangs that should have been crushed. The fox definitely should have been.

I kind of had a similar experience with my parents when I went back a few years ago. It was a total shock seeing how much of the kind of stuff I did around there just didn't get done when I wasn't around. Had to end up welding up a tractor and tearing down a pool for them at one point.

Spent a couple hours in the garage freezing my ass off doing some fabricating. Had the door closed to try and keep in some heat. I emerge when I hear the girlfriend's car come home and it's snowing pretty good. Said she managed to hop three curbs on the way home. In the past hour I've watched someone do a 540 in a Lincoln, someone fishtail a truck through another guys lawn, and someone slid into our driveway. Probably not a good idea to go out for dinner like I planned. Guess I'm staying in and drinking.

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
I'm amazed he even bothered with something like that. Probably not worth much back together. But I'm the wrong person to talk to, considering I've got at least 2 Mustangs that should have been crushed. The fox definitely should have been.
My dad is an ultimate cheap ass. On one hand, him being cheap forced me to learn to do everything myself: working on cars or fixing things around the house. On the other hand, he seems to never reach a point where the value of his time has been destroyed by something not worth putting work into.

The idea is to have an extra vehicle around so when people come back home to Texas to visit (like me), there is a spare vehicle so people can get around. Unfortunately, a 1999 Ford Windstar is pretty low on the "reliable vehicle" list.

The thing was, me and my uncle two years ago helped him tear it apart so he could get the transmission fixed since it was leaking (after the installation of a junkyard 3.7L V6 since the original engine threw a rod through the oil pan) but then we weren't around to help him put it back together. Not to mention tearing it apart was such a nightmare neither me nor my uncle looked forward to the reverse. But my uncle lives in California and I moved to the PNW so the van just sat in their garage for two years while his truck has to sit outside in the elements.

So decided for Christmas I'd help him put it as far back together as possible so that the only stuff left to do can be done by one person (reconnect wires, hoses, check torque on bolts, reinstall suspension). But dear lord a front wheel drive minivan with a ****ing V6 is a nightmare. It was never meant to be torn down while in the vehicle - it was meant to have the entire subframe with engine/trans/exhaust connected drop out the bottom while you lift the car over the assembly. But we don't have the means to do that in my parents' garage - so this happened.

Just hope he commits to either spending the money to get it fixed instead of trying to do it himself for the third time (hopefully not), get rid of it and spend an equivalent amount of money on a mid 90's Toyota as a spare vehicle or just sell the damn thing as is for whatever money someone will give him. He's probably put at least a few hundred hours worth of work into this piece of crap.

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
It all depends on your point of view I suppose. When you are in a pinch financially, it might make more sense to waste all that labor rather than upgrading because it could make or break you. I saw that often firsthand growing up, having to make things work just so my dad could make it to work the next day and get paid, or so the equipment can keep running to harvest and feed the family. The other part is the way my grandfather and I tend to view it; it keeps you out of trouble. He was always tinkering on things he really had no need to work on, but it kept him busy (and equally important away from the wife.)

Most vehicles these days are designed to be installed and serviced with the engine/subframe as an assembly, unlike the old body on frame days. It's just fortunate some RWD models are able to be lifted from the top. It's actually pretty mesmerizing how the body and subframe are mated on the assembly line.

10161 - 10180 of 20938 Posts