Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I’ve been want to do suspension mods on my car forever! End goal for the stang is to be a cornering beast. Finally in a place where I can spend some amounts of money on my car rather than putting it in the piggy bank. Yet the goal is to buy a house in one year’s time so can’t go extreme moding.

Alright so here is the deal found a shop here in Phoenix that specializes in suspension mainly off roaders and dune buggies so they do custom fabrication as well. Shop rate is $75 an hour and was quoted 3 hours labor to install maximum motor sports full length sub frame connectors (bare).

The owner pretty much went to maximum motor sports and pulled the install instructions and quoted me off that. So $225 I say not to bad since I have seen on this forum installs from $150-200. Granted Id love $150

But what do you all think? Go with it and start the slippery slope of suspension mods? Because we all know it isn’t going to stop on SFC’s :D

Thanks

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
That seems sortof steep to me. I have seen it done anywhere from 90-200 for labor. I can say that it will transform the rigidity of your GT. GOOD LUCK! I can't wait to get mine.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
This is a fair price for a shoppe to install such an item :yes

There are many here who will say they should charge less, but these people do not likely run a business, nor realize what it costs to do so. Ask what they plan to do on the install. If they are gonna lift it up by the wheels, so the suspension is loaded that is the first good sign. If they are gonna pull the seats and carpet, or at least take steps to insure the carpet is not damaged by heat, this is a fair price IMO.

As for suspension mods for the goal of a corner-carver, I am happy to see it :yes Not many of us that make good use of the steering wheel in here, so will be happy to have another TRUE driving enthusiast on the scene ;)

Since I already know your ULTIMATE goal, I will ask you what kind of $$$ are you willing to spend on your ride? A true CC SN95 is NOT a cheap build and will need to commit to a solid $10K~$15K for sure to max out your cars potential. You can certainly spend a lot less, but will not get to the goal you appear to have set forth.

Jazzer :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When it comes to the scratch I am still fighting myself on this. Many opposing sides when it comes to moding my car. The biggest one for me is that I want to do it myself. However apartment living limits that. And being able to go to a shop and say here you do it is new to me. However benefits of a professional are understood.
I have no problem spending about a grand every three months on my car. Thought I would start with the mandatory and highly rated sfc’s for the 3-link rear end. But then the front comes into play as well and damn… I hate the front suspension the steering wheels doesn’t feel connected to anything significant. Then gears which I have been contemplating that as well. However not cheap there either, because I would go with a trutrac differential less given guidance for another option.
Oh yeah and there’s:
Seats, coli over, caster camber plates, tubular members, wheels and tires. Ah the list goes on oh hey look 10 – 15 K lol
Start with sfc’s and go from there *looks up at sky

·
Registered
106 Posts
That's great that you want to get the suspension done but, your gonna spend twice as much with the install at the end of the day. Unless you start to stock pile parts and in one or two grand install days (btw big money) so keep and eye on the cost before you install...

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
I did a review of mine a few months/weeks ago, you can look it up for my full review.

Cliffnotes:
Get them on your car ASAP.

For that price, ask if they will prime/paint them so they don't rust (if they aren't going to paint them already).

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put my order in this morning should have them next week. Question on paint for the connectors. I will give them a call and get specifics but if it doesn’t include paint. Anything special here like under coating paint or use standard rattle can finish paint.
Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
I paid $60 flat to get mine installed. Lifted the car with weight on all four tires too. The only thing they didn't do was prime/paint the welds. No biggie though, when I got home I lifted the car and did it myself.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Phx.... My recommendation would be to look into an MM Max Grip box or, if you are a hardcore bastard, like The Cat.... Griggs :yes

Prior to suspension work, I recommend and upgrade to the following:

1. Seats ~ The '99~'04 seats not only suck, but are litterally dangerous for a corner-carver, so they need to go
2. Brakes ~ Brakes Upgrade (sig) should be on your list of "to do's" right away.

MM will certainly be less money and spectacular stuff to be sure. Pick out one of the kits that will meet your ULTIMATE goal and just buy the parts you can afford at a given time. In order of what I recommend you do with such a kit:

1. FLSFC's ~ your covered there now
2. LCA's ~ MM has a couple and would recommend the double spherical for you
3. PHB/TA ~ You may be able to retain your OEM springs/struts/shocks for the time being, but would need to ask the MM tech.
4. CO's ~ at all four corners (yes, AFTER the above, as the spring rates change with a TA)
5. Tube "K" ~ will work with the CO's you have by this point and is the last big piece needed.

PS. we ain't even mentioned tires yet... oops there is another $1400, my bad :(

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have fully committed myself to Griggs..... And I highly recommend it.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Everything is in the works. SFC’s will arrive Wednesday and have an appointment for Thursday morning. Seats will be pulled, carpet raised, and car will be on jacks to displace the load properly. Along with a simple rustoleum coating.

I do have aftermarket LCA’s however these were purchased before I discovered MM and MM (-: Currently running lakewoods even though they did stop my wheel hop I will replace with something suitable for corners. I for see a lot of fun happening over the next couple of years!

Oh yeah seats are garbage. I get reminded of this every day when I take my favorite corners at increasing speed as my talent grows. However I am at the point where talent is being held back by personal body slippage.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
why would that be?
The IRS of the SN95 was designed to be a direct swap with the SRA. This being the case, the geomtry of it is just not that of what a true IRS car, like BMW and the like, would be.

Stock for stock, the IRS will corner better than the SRA, but will have a VERY tough go with a fully built one (PHB or WL with TA). There are some that say the IRS can be made to corner as well, but is a small minority and ends up with similar ride quality as the built SRA anyway. I am by no means an expert on the subject, but have been involved in lots of discussions with those are and they say this consistantly.

·
Registered
493 Posts
the only reason i ask is because i saw something from the guys at maximum motorsports who took an SN95 mustang (year and level unknown), but it was their track car that runs a PHB and TA and then swapped to an 03 IRS with their upgraded bushings and that setup ran 3 seconds faster than the SRA around buttonwillow. i'm sure the SRA and IRS built to the same level will both out handle what any joe schmoe will push it to on the streets. i'm not here to argue as i was just wondering the opinions of suspension people as i'm just getting into seriously modding my suspension (it's gonna be slow and expensive). i just remember riding in an 01 cobra a few years ago and wondering how that car took corners like it did. it was purely amazing. anyway, sorry OP back to your thread.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
^ Yup, I have heard that MM had done such a test, but I can tell you that Griggs Racing wants nothing to do with the IRS in one of their track cars. John swapped his own IRS for an SRA and he builds cars for the open track.

The IRS can be made to handle wonderfull, but have not seen any other open-track SN95 build with and IRS. As I said, by the time either are built to really take corners, they will ride about the same anyway.

·
Registered
493 Posts
good deal. as they say, to each his own. mine is a weekend driver that i want to ride good and handle good too. i found someone to trade me straight up for my SRA is the main reason i went IRS.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have only driven it home from the shop and about to go out in a bit with fewer people on the roads and run some tests (have some fun). However right away I noticed improved braking, stiffer and added balance in the corners. Thus far pleased.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts