1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hmm.. It looks interesting.. I wonder just how much it "gains" on the engine?

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
If I had a 96-98 Cobra I'd def. be saving for it. That thing is sweet. Although the price could drop a tad more.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
:drool

·
Registered
482 Posts
Very cool looking polished metal intake for 96-98 4v Cobras or any B head car such as the Lincon Mark VIII.

Supposedly fills the cylinders 18% better with huge gains on FI cars and high revving na cars.

Best part, it's under $1200 :)

modularmustangracing.com • View topic - MMR RTS B-head manifold for 1996-1998 Modular Cobra / Mark 8
$1199? lol. j/k.

Honestly, if its not at a minimum of 18-20rwhp gain IMO its not worth it considering you can have a stock shortrunner intake made for possibly half the cost and have almost the same gains (or within 5rwhp).

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
oh man that looks so sweet, but dam that price

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well if we add 18% to 305 we get nearly 360hp. Which would be comparing crankhp to crankhp. So then we take 360 * .85 which oddly comes to 305rwhp.

So basically if that 18% number really translated to an 18% gain (it does NOT) we would be sitting at 305rwhp on an otherwise stock car. Basically bringing the advertised crank hp up to being the real wheel hp.

So stockish 260-270rwhp removed from 305rwhp comes out to a rough gain of 30-40rwhp.

Of course that is purely taking their 18% number and running with it. Real world will be different but I felt like playing with numbers. Also the real gains will be FI not NA.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Too bad that thing'll never be Cali legal... :(
Can you guys do *anything* to your cars over there still?

I am already getting used to seeing cammed out 9 second drag cars cruising Woodward on the weekends during the summer.

Or the hot rods where they basically put a seat on top of a sbc and make some room for a license plate. Open headers or damn close for many of those.

I cant imagine all of that stuff being illegal. Granted the largest car show in North America is headquartered 1 block from my house but still it blows me away.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Can you guys do *anything* to your cars over there still?
You'd be surprised what is legal, and what they don't check (assuming you're not stupid, get popped, and have to take it to a ref).

The problem is that what's legal isn't based on testing, it's based on companies being able to pay for all the testing, so the little guy ends up not being able to sell his parts here.

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
damn, and it's 16 lbs. lighter than the stock intake..

hmmm... :shiftyeyes

WANT

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
why is this thing not cali legal?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
im sure it will pass smog, were i smog they never ask for a carb number on like cai, and throttle body spacers

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've never once in my entire life even had to get an inspection.

I dont even know what it's like besides reading about them online. So glad I dont need to skirt around just to drive my car.

If that emissions crap really worked then Detroit would have smog problems.... But in reality we have the clearest skies around being so far north. When I came here from Central Illinois I was immediately in awe over how clear the stars were up here.

If that stuff actually worked I wouldnt be so against it, but obviously these cammed out high pollution drag cars that drive around the streets here are doing nothing noticeable to the environment.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Thank god I don't live in Cali. That sucks.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
im sure it will pass smog, were i smog they never ask for a carb number on like cai, and throttle body spacers
Unless it's stock or has a CARB number, it's not legal. If you can get away with it, more power to you; I know plenty of guys with SR20-swapped 240SXs they drive on the street.

Personally, I think that the smog laws need to be revisited. If it's about air quality, then hook up the sniffer, and if it passes, IT PASSES. I don't mind a visual check just to make sure I'm not pumping clean air into the exhaust, but if I can swap in a 429 and make it burn as clean as the stock motor, then why does it MATTER that I 1)swapped a '71 motor in my car, or 2)put crazy ******* Joe's magic SuperCobraJet-like one-off heads on it to do so?

Personally, I'd be all for tighter standards on the sniffer to get rid of their fascist control over what parts I can and can't legally put on my car.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I totally agree with you ReverendDexter.

If its about the air, then clean cars should pass even if modified. Hell just leaning out the tunes on many stock turbo vehicles will vastly help emissions and not hurt them....

But that aftermarket piping doesnt have a carb number.......

I turned down a paid relocated move to Cali. You guys keep reminding me why.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts