Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MMR has felpro extreme duty head gaskets listed that are supposed to have an extra sealant layer that helps for better sealing especially for imperfect surfaces which mine are fine though.

They have them listed for $169.99. I would like to find the part number for these and see if I can shop around. I will put a link in here along with their description. If anyone else knows where I can get these and at better price or has a part number it would be appreciated.

http://www.modularmotorsportsracing...ain_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=175

MMR / Felpro 4.6 / 5.4 Head Gaskets Extreme duty (up to 1600HP)
larger image
MMR / Felpro 4.6 / 5.4 Head Gaskets Extreme duty (up to 1600HP)
Starting at: $169.99
MMR / Felpro Head Gaskets The Best Gasket available, fits all 2v, 3v and 4v applications 93-2010 4.6/5.4 . MLS design with sealer applied to seal even the most scratched or rough deck surfaces! When paired with the ARP headstud kit (MMR part#400020) you cannot purchase a better cylinder head sealing system. As used by team MMR up to 1600HP!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the one you listed is for a 3.630 in. bore. I think I need the 3.551 bore because I still run a stock 4.6 bore, but Im sure they carry it too.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Starting to think that something is weird because i went to summit and they want a hundred + for it? Matter of fact everyone else wants a 100 or more per gasket. Maybe it just a representative pic?

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, the one you listed is for a 3.630 in. bore. I think I need the 3.551 bore because I still run a stock 4.6 bore, but Im sure they carry it too.
I just looked at the site, can't find one with a 3.551 in that type of felpro head gasket?

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is everybody else using for their head gaskets right now? When I originally install the forged short block I still ran stock heads and intake. I just utilized a Ford performance head change kit that came with stock head bolts and gaskets. Held up fine for a couple years until I went with ported heads ARP head studs and a TFS intake.

I had someone else install the last heads because I was getting a roll cage welded in at the same time and I didn't feel like dealing with the head change while the motor was in the car. I was lazy and had a little extra money at a time. So I paid the same shop that installed my roll cage to install the new heads while it was there.

I noticed shortly after that I would always have a little water that would steam off the headers when I first started it after sitting a few days. I had the head cooling mod on that same driver side head and I thought maybe it was seeping. It was so minor that I just let it go for the last 10 years.

It's almost impossible to put that soft plug back in the back of the head while the motor is in the car. Since it was only about half a cup worth every 30 days or so I just topped it off once in awhile and the car drove fine. Other than being a little hard to start sometimes when cold.

When I got the engine out I could tell that the head cooling mod was not leaking it must have been seeping out from the head gasket the whole time. The head gaskets I gave them we're stock replacements from a Ford dealership.

I have only paid for 3 modifications to be done at a shop since I've owned the car the last 18 years, bought it new in 2000.

I had gears installed. Well after having the gears put in with no lock tight on the ring gear bolts 2 backed out and busted the cover. Which let all the fluid out, burning out the bearing gears etc.

Also this head gasket that's leaking now. I will never again pay somebody else to do some work they just don't care to do it right. This same shop also burnt the head liner when welding in the cage.

The only reason I want those gaskets mentioned above is because it says it helps with imperfections it mating surfaces. I'm afraid when I remove the head they might have gouged something. It can't be real bad because it held up for over 10 years.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Ive been running those felpro blue gaskets for a long time this is one of the most important things you can buy just purchase you a set and dont look back.

Are you using stock bolts or ARP bolts? each type of bolt will torque differently.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive been running those felpro blue gaskets for a long time this is one of the most important things you can buy just purchase you a set and dont look back.

Are you using stock bolts or ARP bolts? each type of bolt will torque differently.
Im using arp with a stock style fel pro gasket. Not tty. When I first installed the short block I ran stock bolts for about year. The top end was totally stock.

Then after that I went with ported heads and to the ARP head studs. Along with a TFS intake and HP's S292 blower cams. Also upgraded from a S to a T-trim all at the same time. I have ran that set up for about 10 years 665whp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts