Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Scooby tuner mustang n00b
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is going to be somewhat of a throwup of info and questions...

I'm pretty sure none of the 4 cam mod motors will fit with the shock towers at all right? I pretty much just want to get all of my info in one place.

I've heard its possible to clearance them but i think that's just for stut-type suspensions which i'm not sure but i feel are less adequate then the stock setup.

I'd really like to do the whole TCP coil-over front end with strut tower braces etc. but i just don't think it's possible to notch the fenders enough to fit.

It seems the R&C setup seems to have the least fitment issues, but is it as performance oriented as some of the others?

I really want to do the COYOTE aluminator swap but i'm not sure if i have the fab skills i need, i'm a pretty good structural welder and i've done jeep suspensions since i was 16 (built my own long arm '94 wrangler) but the tunnel mods etc scare me especially since the car i put an offer on is pretty much frame-offed and (because) body work scares me. It just doesn't have an engine and transmission. Should i just pass and leave it to someone that just wants a windsor 4 speed setup?? and find something less complete? It seems like i'll have a hard time finding anything for 17k in any decent shape anyway so might as well get the one with new rubber, interior fuel tank etc.

It seems that by wanting a 5/6 speed i'm going to have to do tunnel work anyway so some re-painting will be required... so might as well do the whole she-bang?

I will go ahead and admit i have pipe dreams for the car, i sort-of want it to be a jack of all trades kind of car. I would like it to be comfortable at the strip, road-course and a on the street so i really don't want to do anything that will alienate any of those.

The ideal goal is to get a coyote in there, drive it for a while for break in, and then start working on a twin turbo setup (this is sort-of my wheel house as my 05 legacy gt makes 412 awhp & 453 ft-lbs on e85 and is tuned by me) once that's done run it on low boost (5-6 psi) 99% of the the time and approach 20psi when the 1/4 mile comes calling but all that is ~ a year after i just get the engine in the car and enjoy it for a while.

Yes i can shift in the 1/4 pretty well.. atleast in a awd car:facepalm:

just to not be overly noobed.... i have a '57 tbird my dad and i restored as a kid, both my parents have passed this year and driving the bird makes me want to have my own car that i don't feel like i'm perverting my dad's wishes when i modify... he had a '67 s code when i was a kid and that has been my favorite car since. My goal is to have mine resemble it but turn, stop, and run like a newer car and if it proves reliable possibly be given daily duties. (i'll still have a 99 f150, a 05 subaru, and a '57 t-bird should it not prove to work well in that roll)

here's the t-bird at my wedding....

and yes... i know... its an odd rendition of a bird but dad loved it and so do i.

and a pic of the '67 taken in about '85

i know kinda :screwy: but let me know thoughts / opinions

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
You don't have to do tunnel mods to fit a T5.

Any of the mod motors require shock tower clearancing or removal as far as I've seen.

Theres a couple of current threads about guys stuffing the coyote in these cars. It is not easy and it is def not cheap.

·
Scooby tuner mustang n00b
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i know it's not easy... i have the money... neither parent got to retire so a healthy 401k was divided between my sis and i.

I figure taking a little off the top now (since dad died at 60 grandpa at 55 and mom at 55 all for health reasons) to do something i've always wanted to isn't a bad idea.

A t5 on a coyote with 20 psi of boost and drag slicks, i feel would look a lot like my stock subie transmission did @23psi on a 2.5liter lol

something like

I can't find any info on someone leaving the towers with the stock style suspension... they all go to strut style and clearance them. Going towerless wouldn't be a bad idea anyway it would give me more room for turbo plumbing later.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
You should check out Rich's thread on a Coyote, He used a transmission that didn't require cutting the tunnel.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/classic-mustangs/262725-coyote-1967-mustang-install.html

I've not done a OHC swap, but I've ready pretty much every thread I've seen on doing one. From an impartial observer, it looks like none of the MII suspension system vendors are really ready for the 5.0 yet, some just appear to be more up front about that than others. Be prepared to spend big bugs and do lots of on the fly engineering.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts