Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I always hear people doing little mods like CAI/Tuner, but what about cams/intake manifolds and stuff like that? Will they give you good HP for the money even without it being supercharged and what not? My GT is completely stock but I just got it, I plan on doing CAI/Tuner but ik im gonna want more but keep it N/A. So what else is there besides the basic easy 20 minute installation stuff? Basically is it worth it with it being N/A and if so what brands etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
789 Posts
So I always hear people doing little mods like CAI/Tuner, but what about cams/intake manifolds and stuff like that? Will they give you good HP for the money even without it being supercharged and what not? My GT is completely stock but I just got it, I plan on doing CAI/Tuner but ik im gonna want more but keep it N/A. So what else is there besides the basic easy 20 minute installation stuff? Basically is it worth it with it being N/A and if so what brands etc. Thanks!
Honestly if you want to make some real numbers you have to go boost. Sure you can hit 400rwhp with ported heads, cams, manifold, long tubes, ext... but for the price and labor id reccomend just throwing a blower on and call it a day.

If your fixed on NA then expect to purchase cams, udp, cmpd, long tubes... just for maybe 350rwhp

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly if you want to make some real numbers you have to go boost. Sure you can hit 400rwhp with ported heads, cams, manifold, long tubes, ext... but for the price and labor id reccomend just throwing a blower on and call it a day.

If your fixed on NA then expect to purchase cams, udp, cmpd, long tubes... just for maybe 350rwhp
Only 350? Damn I saw advertisement on AM website for cams that show 50 HP from cams and longtubes, reason for staying N/A is id rather not run the risk of blowing my engine, this is my DD and cant afford for anything to go wrong, I was thinking I could get 65 HP off cams, long tubes, CAI, Tuner, and maybe intake manifold. which would cost about 2500, not including install. But everything I could do besides cams and maybe long tubes. Thats still half the price of a blower without install.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
half the price, and 1/4 of the hp.... the 350 he said is rwhp, not what you would have at the flywheel, rough guess..

·
Registered
789 Posts
Only 350? Damn I saw advertisement on AM website for cams that show 50 HP from cams and longtubes, reason for staying N/A is id rather not run the risk of blowing my engine, this is my DD and cant afford for anything to go wrong, I was thinking I could get 65 HP off cams, long tubes, CAI, Tuner, and maybe intake manifold. which would cost about 2500, not including install. But everything I could do besides cams and maybe long tubes. Thats still half the price of a blower without install.
I love AM don't get me wrong, but the first thing I learned about buying parts is never ever ever believe the hp gains that any vendor tells you. Most of the time they're reffering to crank hp. Acount for a 15% drive train loss and you never see what they promise. And in my opion you may want to research the reliability of a blower versus a cam build. With cams you don really see big numbers until higher rpms, much higher then stock. I would think it'd be more dangerous then a sc but that's just me don't quote me on that. Either way I don't think you'll be hurting anything though, and you will see much better gains and a power/ dollar spent ratio with a blower. Brenspeed has a vortech intercooled for under 4k and you'll be sitting at over 400rwhp. Check it out! Goodluck man

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
There is a search function that can show you all kinds of things that they do.

But You can have a very safe supercharged car.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love AM don't get me wrong, but the first thing I learned about buying parts is never ever ever believe the hp gains that any vendor tells you. Most of the time they're reffering to crank hp. Acount for a 15% drive train loss and you never see what they promise. And in my opion you may want to research the reliability of a blower versus a cam build. With cams you don really see big numbers until higher rpms, much higher then stock. I would think it'd be more dangerous then a sc but that's just me don't quote me on that. Either way I don't think you'll be hurting anything though, and you will see much better gains and a power/ dollar spent ratio with a blower. Brenspeed has a vortech intercooled for under 4k and you'll be sitting at over 400rwhp. Check it out! Goodluck man
Under 4k? Ill have to check that out, all I have seen are going for 5 to 6. Which is too much for me. I will check that out. My dad just seems to think a blower is gonna cut 50000 miles out of my engine life. Has there been anyone that has had a reliable car past 150,000 miles with a blower on the whole time?

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
As long as you keep up with maintenance and all that good stuff, there should be no reason your engine can't last.
And brenspeed has the vortech for 3899, and if you're near Indiana or wanna drive there, they will install and provide a guest house for you for free while you wait, install from them is only 650.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
my car with heads, cams, 4.10's, and a spec 3+ clutch is very drivable. however take your stock car and put a basic sc'er kit on it and it would be both faster and more driveable. the spec 3+ clutch is pretty touchy (on/off) and i won't go with it again next time. the sc'er is also much much easier to install. if you already have that kind of money saved i would just wait and go straight for the sc'er.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Under 4k? Ill have to check that out, all I have seen are going for 5 to 6. Which is too much for me. I will check that out. My dad just seems to think a blower is gonna cut 50000 miles out of my engine life. Has there been anyone that has had a reliable car past 150,000 miles with a blower on the whole time?
150000k miles? How many miles are on your car exactly.... I've only owned one car with over 100k on it and I'll never own a high milage vehicle or not, blower or not that motor is no where near stock specs and holding the same compression. IMHO I wouldn't mod a car with over 80k on it, alot of people will disagree with that but unless that's 100% highway miles with your grandma driving, that motor is worn and wont handle even basic bolt ons like a low mileage car would. But if your at 30k then your fine, your motor will be just as reliable, just don't drive like a jackass all the time and keep up with the oil changes etc

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Im pretty sure Juco has like 80k or somehtin like that on his.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Bolt on a scer, you said your already at $2500 for parts install will be over $1000 for cams and LTs unless you plan on doing the install yourself you will be at the same price as if you just got the scer.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
150000k miles? How many miles are on your car exactly.... I've only owned one car with over 100k on it and I'll never own a high milage vehicle or not, blower or not that motor is no where near stock specs and holding the same compression. IMHO I wouldn't mod a car with over 80k on it, alot of people will disagree with that but unless that's 100% highway miles with your grandma driving, that motor is worn and wont handle even basic bolt ons like a low mileage car would. But if your at 30k then your fine, your motor will be just as reliable, just don't drive like a jackass all the time and keep up with the oil changes etc
My car only has 53xxx miles on it, but im just saying this is an 08 and I plan on keeping it until about 150xxx miles, but dont wanna not be able to sell it bc it has a blower on it when the time comes, and dont wanna **** anything up. I just dont trust anyone working on my car and if I could put it in id feel much better about it.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
i think you would be fine.... the money you save from just buying a s/c can be put into a new engine if that one blows... haha, have fun with your decision!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bolt on a scer, you said your already at $2500 for parts install will be over $1000 for cams and LTs unless you plan on doing the install yourself you will be at the same price as if you just got the scer.
True, I never looked anywhere but AM website for Superchargers and just figured they were all 5 to 6 thousand. but 3800 is a deal for me. Once I get my bonus from the army more than likely I will go SC route. If not, then CAI/tuner/long tubes/X Pipe. hopefully ill see 40 rwhp from those. Im really just looking to get better throttle response and a little more HP. I already have a tuner I just need to pay for tunes. I will more than likely go this route for now, then use my bonus for SC. Can you use long tubes and x pipe with SC? If so, Id only be wasting money on CAI. And I can resell CAI.

·
Registered
208 Posts
True, I never looked anywhere but AM website for Superchargers and just figured they were all 5 to 6 thousand. but 3800 is a deal for me. Once I get my bonus from the army more than likely I will go SC route. If not, then CAI/tuner/long tubes/X Pipe. hopefully ill see 40 rwhp from those. Im really just looking to get better throttle response and a little more HP. I already have a tuner I just need to pay for tunes. I will more than likely go this route for now, then use my bonus for SC. Can you use long tubes and x pipe with SC? If so, Id only be wasting money on CAI. And I can resell CAI.
Yes, those will be fine with a SC.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, those will be fine with a SC.
Great, thanks for lettin me know. Im not joining the army for 2 months and would like to make the car a little faster until then.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Great, thanks for lettin me know. Im not joining the army for 2 months and would like to make the car a little faster until then.
No prob, good luck in the Army and building up the Mustang.

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
90k and running strong :)

These mod motors do very well at higher mileage. My car dynoed 344rwhp n/a at 75k and 505rwhp at 85k. Car shows no kind of wear yet. I'd say that anyone who has a problem with with modding these cars past 75k is old school and needs to catch up with 2011:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts