Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I traded up and got me an 06 GT with 39k on her, and got a 4 year 32k warranty, but my question is, what does everyone do about throwing mods on, like a midpipe, CAI, Tuner, as far as warranty work goes? Just remove it before something needs to be worked on?

·
Registered
583 Posts
yeah pretty much what you have to do. they wont cover the warranty if you take it in for something and all that stuff is on it still. the tuner will save your stock tune that the car comes with. so if anything SHOULD go wrong...throw the stock tune back in it and put all your stock bolt ons back on it. dealership will never know!

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Who is the warranty thru?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i bought the car at a chevy dealership, i havent gotten my paperwork, im guessing next few days it will arrive, but its a dealer warranty not factory warranty, i do not know much about the warranty stuff. i want to call and ask them and see what they say.

but would, lets say, a pypes x pipe with cats work as far as warranty?

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
I'm guessing its probably a Fidelity warranty. It all comes down to the inspector. The way it works is the shop will call in a claim and the inspector will come out to OK the work. So it all comes down to who looks at it. Most of them are pretty laid back and definitely wouldn't go digging hard to find a way to deny the claim.

·
Registered
583 Posts
your best bet would be calling and asking...better safe than sorry. if they tell you it will void it..just throw your stock parts back on. no harm no foul

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
your best bet would be calling and asking...better safe than sorry. if they tell you it will void it..just throw your stock parts back on. no harm no foul
Bad idea then they know to look for it reasons to deny a claim and then they may bring up "abuse".

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i could ask a different place than i go maybe ... ?

i cant wait 4 years to mod this mofo lol

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i actually thought about telling him to remove the warranty, charged me like 2300 bucks for that mofo! ill have pics up tomorrow, havent even gotten to wash it yet haha

·
Registered
128 Posts
lol I bought an extended 7 year warranty when I picked up my car used in 06... you'll be happy you have it when something goes wrong, just make sure that the dealer you go to is cool about modded cars. Usually as long as there's nothing illegal on there they'll be cool, and get a CAI that you can run with or without a tune, so you don't have to swap the CAI out to go in for service, just the tune. I had the dealer replace my throttle body under warranty and they calibrated it with my Roush CAI still on the car lol... of course that was at a dealer here in AZ, whereas had I gone to a dealer at home in CA they would have blamed the CAI for messing up my TB and just voided my warranty and sent me on my way :D

·
Registered
527 Posts
Please listen to the guys and put the stock parts back on when you have to have work done, because some extended warranty places can be reallllly picky...example: my boyfriend really got screwed when he brought in his car, he had put almost everything back stock, but left the gauges. They told him it was the gauges that f*cked up his engine!!!!!! lol Some places will use ANYTHING as an excuse not work on it....and then some places dont care.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah true, they will try to get you every way you can to save them some money. ill just hang onto my stock intake for when i need service, but what about an axel back exhaust, that should be ok right?

·
Registered
527 Posts
When my bf brought his car in, he had a magnaflow exhaust and they didn't care about that....but then again they blamed his guages for the problem....so I'm thinking if he didn't have the gauges would they have blamed the exhaust? lol But in reality the exhaust shouldn't matter. But it's so hard to say because the usual "rule" is the car has to be COMEPLETELY stock (except esthetics) for the warranty to apply.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i need to call, i have to have an exhaust, if thats all i can do as far as bolt on peformance stuff, it HAS to be exhaust lol

·
Registered
527 Posts
i need to call, i have to have an exhaust, if thats all i can do as far as bolt on peformance stuff, it HAS to be exhaust lol
I've got warranty left on my car until April 2011...and i'll be modding this spring/summer.........you don't see the warranty stopping me :) honestly you spent the money for that stang...have fun with it. IF...and that's a big IF something happens, just make sure you or someone puts the stock parts back get it fixed, and reinstall. I know that sounds like a b*tch but i would do that because I can't live with a stock mustang :no

·
MM's Resident Muffler Shop
3,048 Posts
I have full exhaust, CAI & tune. If anything happens w/ my car I'm going to the stealership, cancelling my warranty, taking that money and the stang to my local performance shop and having them do the work. Its not worth it to me to pull everything off the car and reinstall it

1 - 20 of 41 Posts