Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 03' Mach 1, and I was wondering if any of yall could suggest some modifications?
The car is bone stock right now, and I was wondering if there is anything I could do to get the most enjoyment out of it.
I plan on getting a full exhaust upgrade for some hp and better sound, but that would not be until next summer due to lack of money. So is there anything that I could do for now? I heard some suggestions for gear upgrades or a short throw....what do you think?

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
If you're going to leave it N/A, I suggest getting 4.10 gears. It's a blast to drive. As for the shifter, I love MGW, but others will say Steeda, Pro5.0. Get a CAI and a tune, will give you some decent hp gains. I would also look at getting some lowering springs and depending how low you want to go, getting Maximum Motorsport CC plates.

·
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're going to leave it N/A, I suggest getting 4.10 gears. It's a blast to drive. As for the shifter, I love MGW, but others will say Steeda, Pro5.0. Get a CAI and a tune, will give you some decent hp gains. I would also look at getting some lowering springs and depending how low you want to go, getting Maximum Motorsport CC plates.
I've never driven a car with a short shifter, is it something that I will like? I mean, would it be possible to NOT like it?
And would it be a good idea to go right to 4:10's? The Mach 1 stock is 3:55 (I think?), I'm kinda skeptical with the idea on making such a change and not liking it...and 3:73's would probably be a waste of money considering the little difference..

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
You will like 4.10s and many people will say you should go to 4.30s. I wish I would have went 4.30s after having 4.10s. Having driven a Pro 5.0, Steeda Tri-Ax, and an MGW shifter I must say that I like the MGW best. Short throw shifters take a little while to get used to but everyone I've ever talked to says they like the short throw better than a stock shifter.

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
4.10s are a great gear for daily driving with a Mach 1. The shifter is a must have to me, so if you have the money I suggest getting MGW.

·
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4.10s are a great gear for daily driving with a Mach 1. The shifter is a must have to me, so if you have the money I suggest getting MGW.
Well you guys have me sold on the MGW, my question now is should I attempt to install it myself? Do I have to go under the car?
And what about for 4:10 gears? Is that something to avoiding installing if I have little experience working on cars?
If I bring it to shop for installation would it be better to have both done at the same time?

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
MGW you can do yourself and takes 30 mins to do. You do NOT have to go under the car. Just take off the shift knob, pull up the shifter boot/center console ring. Use some hand tools to remove the rubber boot, unbolt the shifter. Going to have to pry that bitch out after you remove the bolts. Then install the new shifter.

The gears I suggest taking to a good mechanic.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
The thing with gears though is you will need to purchase a handheld tuner to change the gear ratio in the tune. Otherwise, you will always see the wrong speed on the speedometer. Go with the shifter. It's an easy mod to install, cheap, and while it won't make your car faster it will make you make your car faster (if that makes sense). I'll probably install a short throw on any manual car I buy in the future whether it's a sports car or an econobox.

·
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The thing with gears though is you will need to purchase a handheld tuner to change the gear ratio in the tune. Otherwise, you will always see the wrong speed on the speedometer. Go with the shifter. It's an easy mod to install, cheap, and while it won't make your car faster it will make you make your car faster (if that makes sense). I'll probably install a short throw on any manual car I buy in the future whether it's a sports car or an econobox.
That makes sense, I'll probably put the gears off for now and just go with the shifter. Know of a good place to buy one or should I just get it off MGW site?

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Absolute #1 mod I recommend is weld-in, full-length subframe connectors. I won't own a fox-chassis Mustang without 'em.

Beyond that, really depends on how you want to use the car.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Absolute #1 mod I recommend is weld-in, full-length subframe connectors. I won't own a fox-chassis Mustang without 'em.

Beyond that, really depends on how you want to use the car.
Those are a cheap mod too and cheap as far as installation goes too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts