Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Faster than my X
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much hp can I see if I change out the cams on my 03 cobra heads for the 96-98 cobra cams thru an 4r70w?other than cams what else do I need to change out on my heads?thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
The 96-98 cobra intake cams are worth 20 Horsepower. No need to change the exhaust cams. As far as what else to change on the heads, what are your plans? If staying NA and they are already off the motor, get a good valve job and maybe deck them .030 to bump up compression a little. Depends on what your plans are and how far apart everything is along with how many miles on the heads.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
How much hp can I see if I change out the cams on my 03 cobra heads for the 96-98 cobra cams thru an 4r70w?other than cams what else do I need to change out on my heads?thanks
You do not need to change your heads when installing cobra intake cams. If you have a stock tq converter you will want to advance the intake cams to increase tq and mid range power. Not doing so will result in less tq and midrange power than you have now...and probably a slower car despite the hgiher peak power.

I have an Auto Mach with a 3200 stall, 4.10 gears and cobra intake cams. I've advance the intake cams to suit the auto trans and relatively tight converter and it runs [email protected] The car is "full weight" and has stock intake and exhaust manifolds, stock air inlet tube and nitto 245 drag radials on stock wheels all around. While most guys are running a 4000 stall or my combo can tun a tighter converter and is just as quick or quicker. I've since added a couple other mods which added 18rwhp at 6350rpm and the peak power is now 292.

Cobra cammed automatic - 2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

·
Faster than my X
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'm having a machine shop assemble me a 4v longblock.pretty much I have the shortblock ,cobra heads,just need to take them to machine shop to get them checked out .so I thought about adding some intake cams.would any machine shop know how to advance cams?i still need the timing guide set.

·
Faster than my X
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once I finish with the motor I plan on saving some money so I can go turbo.i pretty much have a tubular front end .all I want is a sick street car.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Well I'm having a machine shop assemble me a 4v longblock.pretty much I have the shortblock ,cobra heads,just need to take them to machine shop to get them checked out .so I thought about adding some intake cams.would any machine shop know how to advance cams?i still need the timing guide set.
Most would probably not know how to do it, but I'm sure there has to be a shop in south florida that can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts