Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 373 Posts

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading some other threads, I started thinking about this. No one likes spending the money twice and people forget that mods are application specific. My car is a dally driver. I used to put 20,000 miles per year on it. Now its around 10,000. I spend a lot of time in the car. I like drag racing and so my car will occasionally go to the track. But not a lot. I'm not interested in the twisties and while I don't really push the corners hard. People also have different tolerance levels to things. What one hates another loves.

This thread isn't meant to become an argument over what's good and what's not. That's relative to the individual. But what mod have you disliked to a point of replacing it?

Mods that I regret:
.....1. The Original Flowmaster 40s. The drone killed my ears going down the interstate. I tolerated it for two years then had them cut out and Magnaflows welded in. I like my commute to work much better now.
.....2. UPR ProSeries UCA/LCAs with Spherical bushings. Great control arms but the NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) was more than I expected. It's OK at 55-60 but really irrates me at interstate speeds and the rear end of the car (trunk lid I think) creaks and groans going over bumps in town. I shouldn't have gotten the metal on metal bushings but should have gone with poly LCAs. I'm seriously looking at the CHE LCAs. I also should have left the stock rubber bushings in the differential instead of putting in metal spherical one. Its going to cost around $400 to undo what I have done.

Mod where I believe I wasted money:
.....1. Long-tube headers and catted x-pipe. About $1,000 for parts and a couple of hundred to have them installed. Saw absolutely no gain on the dyno (but they were different dynos). Others have see a 10 rwhp/rwtq gain throughout the power ranges. I believe that a simple off-road mid-pipe would have posted the same gains.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Every time i look at the car, i love the way it looks, however every time i drive the car, i hate the way the ride is, it is a complete love/hate situation with my h and r super sport lowering springs lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
Oh and its not really a mod but i regret not buying this 04 mach 1 when i went to see it because of some stupid reasons

·
I smell like beef
5,580 Posts
Oh and its not really a mod but i regret not buying this 04 mach 1 when i went to see it because of some stupid reasons
A dealship down the road got a white mach 2 weeks after I bought my gt. At the time, I didn't know the difference.

·
Registered
236 Posts
A dealship down the road got a white mach 2 weeks after I bought my gt. At the time, I didn't know the difference.
I knew the difference just it was this dumb ass kid, had nitrous and everything to make it seem like a complete drag car, and when i drove it it didnt feel like it had balls. a very good friend of mine has a mach and when i drive in it you feel the torque right away, oh and the mach had a big paint chip on the hood lol fml

·
Registered
236 Posts
Oh and the whole time i was looking for cars i was looking to sell mine, when none of it worked out i decided to do some stuff to mine, a week after this lady that knows my mom said she wanted to buy my car, double fml haha

·
I smell like beef
5,580 Posts
All things aside, I love my gt and don't regret the purchase one bit. Sure I'd love a cobra or a new 5.0, but a clean, low mileage 99-04 is getting harder to come by.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I regret buying a mustang. I would be riding in a pimped out jacked up f250 if I could.
TURBO DIESEL FTW! I want one so bad haha.

I regret my flowmaster 40s also. Hated them. Only had them a few months.
Other one is UD pullies. I saw and felt no gain and had to purchase a set of stock pullies for the blower anyway. Waste of money

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I regret buying a mustang. I would be riding in a pimped out jacked up f250 if I could.
BS. You've bought two Mustangs and modded both to 600 hp.

Edit: I think Sweet is the only one who has consistently said he prefers Chevys over Mustangs but still had modded a Mustang to the max.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TURBO DIESEL FTW! I want one so bad haha.

I regret my flowmaster 40s also. Hated them. Only had them a few months.
Other one is UD pullies. I saw and felt no gain and had to purchase a set of stock pullies for the blower anyway. Waste of money
I forgot about the underdrive pulleys. The previous owner put them on and I had to buy replacements in order to put the supercharger on. I gave away both the underdrive pulleys and the Flowmaster 40s.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wish I would have started with a blower instead of nickel and dime-ing bolt ons.
I would infer from this statement that you think it was a waste of money instead of something that you intend to take off and replace.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
i regret ever modding this car lol

if I had never touched it it would probobly work just fine all the time and happily be running 15s

·
I wanna SPRAY!
7,461 Posts
I have a mile long mod list made up for my car and keep contemplating on whether or not I wanna follow through with everything. I see all the problems people have with high horsepower cars on here and all the money they spent and wonder if it's even worth the hassle. At this point I think i'm just gonna modify my car as something breaks and enjoy what I have. I would rather take $10k and buy a 600cc sport bike and get my speed hunger satisfied that way. To answer the original question.

Favorite mod: 125 shot nitrous kit
Worst mod: Getting a 20lb nitrous bottle. I didn't think this one through before buying and it has sucked trying to warm this thing up to optimal pressure.

·
Registered
800 Posts
They came on the car when I bought it, but my car has flowmasters and I hate them also. Not because they're too loud, but because they just don't sound good.

·
Mr. Stangarang
2,620 Posts
I don't regret any of the parts I've bought for my car and I'm absolutely in love with how it looks... BUT... 2 weeks after I bought my car a termi went up for sale for like 5k more and it had mods...

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
I regret basically everything I did to my V6. I loved that car and I learned a ****-ton from all the work I did, but once I seized the engine and couldn't afford to drop a new one in, I saw all the money I was out at that point. When I get a GT, it's going to be basically just visual mods, exhaust, and audio. I also bought a rear window louver for my V6. It sat in my garage for 6 months before I was completely sure I wasn't going to put it on. Cost me half of what I paid for it to ship it to the guy I sold it to.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I bought UDP's but they are still in the box. Thinking it was a bad purchase to begin with. Most likely gonna sell them and use the money for gears.

1 - 20 of 373 Posts