Modded Mustang Forums banner

341 - 360 of 373 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
^Cams, Longtubes, maybe a 75 shot for me....I just don't have the budget for anything else...

·
Tuning Junkie
148 Posts
I regret the BBK under drive pulleys I put on an 88 GT i used to own. i didn't notice any gain and have ruled them out as a mod for my newly purchased 2000 GT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would imagine that for some it is the first car that they modded. It is the first car that I've modded in 35 years. My 2000 Mustang GT responds to mods differently than my 1966 Dodge Coronet 500 with a 426 Wedge or my 1969 Camaro SS 350. It is a lot different beast.

Also, learning what mods fit what purpose is a challenge. When I first joined this forum everyone spoke as if all mods fit all purposes and no one mentioned the drawbacks from the mods. I've notice that most of the regrets are coming from people who use their cars as daily drivers. And some of the great track mods are not so great when you have to put up with them for hours at time.
I am new to the site and love cars but don't know as much about them as I'd like to yet, but I was wondering if you had any suggestions for beginning mods for a daily driver. I have an '00 GT with 3.73s, bola ATAK exhaust, Tri-axe short throw, and just got a new engine installed. It has been my daily for 2 years and will continue to be until I finish college and get a new car to mae my daily and make Sally (my stang) my build car. Probably should wait to buy parts until its my build car but I just can't help myself and have been looking for good parts that add some power or just any other good parts to start off with that won't make me hate driving it while its still my DD. Sorry for the long post and getting off topic!

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
There are a lot of great mods for a daily driver. It depends upon how much money you want to spend. You have gears. Did you get a handheld tuner to correct the speedometer? That also allows you to add a 93 octane tune for a little more power. The drawback is the price of 93 octane fuel.

Some fairly universal suspension mods are full length sub-frame connectors (FLSFC) and rear Lower Control Arms (LCAs). FLSFCs is almost like having a full frame giving you a lot less flex in the body. Unless you are launching hard on sticky tires heavy duty lower control arms with poly bushings will work fine. They do not increase the Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) of the ride and they prevent wheel hop. Other suspension mods will increase NVH. I do not recommend changing the rear Upper Control Arms (UCAs). You cannot use poly bushings in the UCAs because of damage to the torque boxes. The ones with spherical bushings and heim joints significantly increase NVH. I hated my UCAs and finally took them out.

A lot of people install lowering springs. They are stiffer and will increase the harshness of your ride. I have not done that because of the country roads around here. My car already scrapes bottom in some spots. For a daily driver I would recommend progressive springs. They are not as harsh as others.

The best power mod is a supercharger. Expensive but it will give you the most horsepower per dollar. I don't recommend spending money for cams and heads. Most people who have done that later wish they had bought a supercharger.

The mod I hated the most was the UCAs and I have now taken them out putting stock ones back in. A mod that I don't hate but think is worthless is Long-Tube headers. They are expensive, hard to install, hard to work around and provide very little increase in power.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I regret buying the SR short throw shifter...I ended up with the MGW.
I regret buying the SR CAI...I ended up with a JLT Ram Air.
I regret Bama Tunes...I am ending up getting a dyno tune.
I regret my nitrous...broke too much sh*t with it.
I regret waiting on FLSFC...should have been my first mod.

I really regret settling for my GT...I should have found an 01 Cobra Like I wanted...

This car is part of the family now, it ain't going anywhere...I regret getting too attached to it.

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
I regret going through three sets of springs/struts before just springing (get it, hahahahahaha) for a set of MM coilovers. Way, way better than any stock-location spring/strut setup.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I regret going with the Eiboch drag launch springs. They really haven't helped out much and I have had issues keeping air in the airbag. I also wish I wouldn't have re-done my interior. I get lots of compliments and I love the look but its just not durable and I'm always freaking out about keeping it clean and not damaging the new color.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My first v6 automatic mustang. It was nothing but regrets. The exhaust and 3:73 gears might have been an exception.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Going to do post 2.0,

After this last build (which I will post up soon).

1. Doing 2 sets of springs before before doing MM coil over conversion in the front for my tubular K

2. Putting a turbo on the car, the supercharger was simple and reliable. Melting everything in the engine bay sucks.

3. Procharging my car instead of just going with the turbo like I originally intended. Would have saved me time and I woild have gotten my headache sooner.

(P.S- even though I am still working out the bugs in my turbo project, the supercharger was more enjoyable)

4. Buying a divisionX 340 pump. Replacing it with an awesome bbk 300 pump (which I would recommend to anyone for simplicity and the fact that it ****ing works unlike the divisionX) and then replacing that with a full on3 return style fuel system with twin on3 340 pumps(come from the same warehouse as AEM pumps according to an insider). Wish I just went with a full return system from the get-go. Between the 2 pumps and a KB BAP, It ran me over half the cost of the return system.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
I scanned this thread and tallied some results. Here are the most common regrets:

1. Flowmaster 40s (12 regrets). Often called "Dronemaster" the chambered mufflers create a resonating frequency between 1800-2200 rpm that just kills your ears on longer trips. Drone is not loudness. For example, Magnaflow mufflers have the same decibel ratings at the same rpm but the straight through design doesn't drone. One person said he loved his Flowmasters but hated them when he made a 3-hour trip. I hated them after 30 minutes. Likewise there were 2 regrets for getting SLP Loudmouth 1s. Main complain was they were too loud.

2. Long-tube Headers (11 regrets). Complaints include hard to install, hard to work around, little to no gain, and dragging the ground on cars with lowering springs.

3. Under-drive Pulleys (8 regrets). Complaints include little gain and cheap piggy back design. Underdrive pulleys have to be removed if a supercharger is installed later.

4. Cold Air Intake (7 regrets). Complaints include little to no gain, cheap ones fit bad and the chrome peels. There was 1 regret about a plenum spacer which does absolutely nothing. The same could be said for throttle-body spacers. The CAI also has to be replaced is a supercharger is installed later.

5. Off-road mid-pipes (7 regrets). This includes BBK (1) and Pipes (3) for leaking and ill fit. In general a catless mid-pipe will have increased fuel odors. It doesn't bother some people but definitely does some.

6. Sumitomo HTZ and HTZR 2 tires (6 regrets). Cheap design with very little traction. I didn't list this as a regret but my vote would make it seven. There were 2 regrets about Nitto Drag Radials not being sticky enough. From experience I know they will stick but you really have to heat them up. I rarely go to the track. I run them on the street because they have more than twice the tread live and perform better in the rain than the much better DR, ET Streets.

7. Lowering Springs (6 regrets). This includes Eibach Pro-Kit for not lowering the car enough and H & R Sport Springs for riding too rough. Several had mixed feelings. They loved the look but hated the ride. Lowering springs are much stiffer than stock springs. Stock is 450 lbs front and 210 lbs rear. Lowering springs are 600-650 lbs front and 250 lbs rear. They lower the center of gravity and lessen body roll but also have a harsher ride. There were two additional regrets about drag springs concerning leaky bags and not reducing drag times.

8. Cheap Coil-over Springs (5 regrets). This includes complaints about UPR coil overs. Complaints are loud, clanky, noisy, harsh ride. Coil overs are suppose to be the answer to lowering springs but only if you buy high quality coil overs.

9. Bolt-on mods in General (4 regrets). A waste of money. Should go straight to a supercharger. Problem is superchargers are expensive.

10. Upper Control Arms with Heim Joints (3 regrets). The single complaint was a large increase in noise, vibration and harshness. All respondants took them out and put stock control arms back in.

11. Spec Stage 3 Clutch (3 regrets). Clutch pedal way to stiff.

12. Blackout headlight covers (3 regrets). Fog lights were brighter.

13. 4.10 gears (3 regrets). There are hundreds of threads discussing which gear is best. People either love 4.10 gears or hate them. One of the reason for the difference in opinions is the different overdrive gear ratios of the various transmissions installed in the 99-04 Mustangs. Gear choice requires a lot of research.

14. 4" Cowl hood (2 regrets). Main concern was visibility. Related was one regret for a Fibertrends hood of poor quality that required a lot of preparation before painting. This was a bit unusual because most people with cowl hoods, including myself, love them.

15. MGW Shifter (2 regrets). This was a bit unusual because there are dozens of posts that rave about the MGW Shifter.

Like others have said. You need to have a goal and a plan for your car. Design the build then build to the design. Always keep the cars main purpose in mind when modding.

Reactions: nileppezdel77!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I love my flowmasters, they make my car sound great. It does do that droning thing all of the sudden around 2k, but I have stock gearing and around where I live it never reaches a high enough rpm for it to start doing it.
Also its the only mod my car has haha.

I hate the stock water pump for failing when I went on my first road trip and causing my mustang to overheat and blow the head gaskets (its not its fault but still ;-;). I hate my mustang in general. Until I start it and that is, then I want to keep it. But literally everything has an issue and is almost to the point of breaking but not quite. Like, literally everything. Need to make a list of everything it needs..

Oh wait wait, the thing I hate most is the previous owner for beating the **** out of it. And being retarded in general. I drove 200 miles to meet the guy. Car was filthy and had tons of **** in it, hadn't been registered in a few months, and had a fat dent on the drivers side door (he told me he was racing someone and tried to drift and hit them...), but I looked passed that and saw that underneath it wasn't too bad. Under the hood was dusty but clean and leak free, and he told me he had the oil changed last week, but I saw the sticker on the inside of the window of when it was last changed, and it wasn't too long ago (not last week though). Only had 130k miles, which is low for me, and I talked him down to $1800 so I made the deal. Then he told me he didn't have the pink slip and his gf had it. He said he would mail it to me but I told him no and decided to meet him halfway the next day, giving him the chance to clean all of his **** out.
Next day I go to meet him. And hour past our agreed time he shows up, and the car is even dirtier! There was literally like pizza sauce smeared on the side or some ****. AND the rear tire were noticeably more worn than the day before. After he spent about an hour getting all of his stuff out, I gave him the cash, and went about 300ft to the nearest car wash. After spending a solid half hour cleaning melted lipstick off the center console, food crumbs, tons of beer bottle caps (i still find some occasionally), and about 13 used forks/spoons (Actual silverware, wtf?) it was starting to look decent. I got home and had a better look at some things and noticed that the tread on the inside of the front tires was getting ripped off. All around there were wires sticking out. Was thankful they didn't explode on my way home.

Not a mod I know, but I still hate it.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I regret going to a fabricator for a turbo kit. Seemed like a good idea at the time, was going to get a deal and a nice custom piece. Got most of a hot side, had to fix half of it myself. Just go with an off the shelf kit like CG Fabrication.

I regret getting a deal on a used Cobra longblock that had cracks. If i had a good engine I'd probably still be ripping on it, maybe upgraded to a big twin screw, instead of the compound clusterfuck I have today.

As for whether I'll regret the current combination with the blower and T56 instead of a high rise intake and TH400...we shall see.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I regret nothing! LOL

Short answer: I regret nothing!

Longer answer: This is my third Mustang ('99 GT 5-speed). First one was a '95 V6 auto. Got it for a great price with 100k miles years ago. Had dual exhaust and lowering springs - didn't know what kind as I was new to cars in general. Paint and body was beautiful but the interior was pretty nasty. Slowly replaced interior parts and drove the hell out of the car. Loved it! Even though it was super slow. Sold it when I rolled 200K miles.

Second one was a 2003 V6 5-speed with 70K miles. Again, for a great price. All stock, one owner car. Interior was beautiful, so was the interior except the front bumper was cracked underneath. Fixed that with zip ties and all is good until the 4x4 look got old. Had a shop put in Eibach Pro-Kit springs and that fixed the stance, but now the stock 16" wheels look minuscule on the car. Managed to get a set of '03 Cobra wheels and nice tires. Never gave me problems other than the alternator dying at 90K miles. Drove the hell out of the car until I spun and wrecked it in the rain at around 120K miles.

A year after, I found the '99 GT on craigslist. 77K miles, again great price. By this time, I have learnt so much on 94-04 Mustangs that I knew what to look out for and what to expect. It wasn't a perfect car when I got it. It still isn't now, but loads better than when I got it and both the previous Mustangs. I work on it myself and the car gets better each time I am done wrenching. I don't beat on it, but do drive it spiritedly on back roads and a few open track days. Just rolled 93K miles a few days ago. Hoping I won't have any regrets keeping it beyond 100K miles.

I know that nothing lasts forever, and Mustang number 4 will come into my life eventually and I hope it will be of the 99/01 Cobra variant or 2015 GT/GT350. Yummy, yummy DOHC and IRS. A man can dream..

·
RAT FINK
939 Posts
One year too new but I hope it's OK if I post? :D

I love my car where it is right now- honestly only a couple things I regret:

J&M aluminum panhard bar: Got it for a good deal, thought it would be great because it was aluminum. Turns out it's impossible to adjust on the car because you have to adjust it from the ends. But, I don't adjust it enough to justify replacing it.

JBA Headers: Only because I didn't find out until after they were installed that the fitment was all out of whack. The passenger side header collector is too close to the floorboard, over an inch further forward than the driver's side, and SOMEHOW just slightly larger in diameter than the driver's side collector which means the H pipe won't just "slip on." I had to cut slits in the pipe and force it on, and everything is out of whack because of the varying collector heights. If I hadn't spent $500 on them, I would probably throw these ****ing things over the hill and replace them with another brand.

·
MOAR BOOST
9,163 Posts
Going to do post 2.0,

After this last build (which I will post up soon).

1. Doing 2 sets of springs before before doing MM coil over conversion in the front for my tubular K

2. Putting a turbo on the car, the supercharger was simple and reliable. Melting everything in the engine bay sucks.

3. Procharging my car instead of just going with the turbo like I originally intended. Would have saved me time and I woild have gotten my headache sooner.

(P.S- even though I am still working out the bugs in my turbo project, the supercharger was more enjoyable)

4. Buying a divisionX 340 pump. Replacing it with an awesome bbk 300 pump (which I would recommend to anyone for simplicity and the fact that it ****ing works unlike the divisionX) and then replacing that with a full on3 return style fuel system with twin on3 340 pumps(come from the same warehouse as AEM pumps according to an insider). Wish I just went with a full return system from the get-go. Between the 2 pumps and a KB BAP, It ran me over half the cost of the return system.
x2 on the coilovers. They're good stuff.
The turbo I understand, it is a pain in the ass to get all of the kinks out of a turbo car. I've never done a supercharger so I can't comment, but they seem to be a lot easier to get going and with less headache.

4. The division X pump - that thing is crap. I kept having the issues with my line popping off, then it blew apart and almost blew my car up. I sent an email to customer service with pictures and ****ers didn't even respond.
I have a DW 340 in the car now that is stock size and is a nicer setup, but I actually had one of those die in about a year. SMH.

I regret going through three sets of springs/struts before just springing (get it, hahahahahaha) for a set of MM coilovers. Way, way better than any stock-location spring/strut setup.
Agreed. I had cut springs, then eibach prokit, then coils. Should have just went coils in the first place and saved myself some money.

My first v6 automatic mustang. It was nothing but regrets. The exhaust and 3:73 gears might have been an exception.
Don't regret mine at all :). lol. Mine was bone stock v6 auto, now makes 350 wheel and is getting a g-force t5 and a new clutch this winter.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I've been very good with keeping my build budget friendly. But as with anything, there are many things I regret

- not painting my car blue the first time I repainted (after the roush body kit)
- going with a small kenne bell over going turbo
- not auto swapping earlier
- not going return and e85 when I built the car up for the blower

With that being said, I'm pretty committed to beating the 2v Tm Barth from mph tuned with the kb 2.2..... so I'm looking for low 9s with this thing.

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
This old post lol. Mine still hold true. Wish I got a coupe.

Gears along with my mgw are my favorite mods. Closely followed by mac Flowpaths and lowering springs. I did Steeda sports so I'm not slammed. Looks great to me. Flsfc is up there too

341 - 360 of 373 Posts