Modded Mustang Forums banner

361 - 377 of 377 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
I know I mentioned lowering springs last time, but I'd like to add Steeda Underdrive Pulleys to the list. Totally worthless, in my opinion. The chrome CAI also didn't age well. Honestly though, every mod on these engines short of cams or a power adder are just nonsense.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
I know I mentioned lowering springs last time, but I'd like to add Steeda Underdrive Pulleys to the list. Totally worthless, in my opinion. The chrome CAI also didn't age well. Honestly though, every mod on these engines short of cams or a power adder are just nonsense.
Gears and exhaust aren't non sense. My chrome intake rusted after 6 years. Just got a matte black one with crinkle finish from AM.

I think out of all my mods the plenum and tb really didn't do crap. I got them used off eBay extremely cheap but still. My light weight fly wheel and aluminum drive shaft let's the motor rev up super quick but for the price of both it was a tough pill to swallow.

I love my long tubes but that's because my driver side manifold had stripped stud threads and leaked. That problem is solved but to the tune of a grand after install.

I'm glad I didn't do UD pulleys. I couldn't justify the price personally.

All in all I'm happy but I could be super charged right now. Some of the mods were done while repairing existing to upgrade them. At the end of the day it's hard to say. I'm happy with the car now tho. Should hold me over til I get that itch again.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I had them on my car at one ppint, but took them off and sold them due to the old blower setup, now that I am turbo'd I still get the itch to pick up another set and put them on for maximum efficiency. once you do a Stroker bottom end, ported heads, cams, intake, throttle body and a turbo... you start looking at little things like meizeire electric water pumps and under drive crank/ over drive alt pullies again to try and squeeze as much out as possible ... weird how it works like that

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #365
Unbeknownst to me, my car had under drive pulleys on it when I bought it. I did not have the old pulleys so I had to buy a new crank pulley. The supercharger would physically not fit with the UDPs on the car. I didn't buy a stock water pump pulley but instead bought a Meziere electric water pump. That was a good mod. My first one lasted 100,000 miles. I really don't think you get much UDPs and several people have posted regrets about having bought them.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Unbeknownst to me, my car had under drive pulleys on it when I bought it. I did not have the old pulleys so I had to buy a new crank pulley. The supercharger would physically not fit with the UDPs on the car. I didn't buy a stock water pump pulley but instead bought a Meziere electric water pump. That was a good mod. My first one lasted 100,000 miles. I really don't think you get much UDPs and several people have posted regrets about having bought them.
out of all the bolt one I have installed. I think the UDP are the only ones that actually do what they're advertised.

cAI, Plenum, throttle body are worthless except for sound.

catbacks and midpipes combined might make the same difference as steeda pulleys.

so you spend 300-800 on exhaust or like 200 on pullies and get a similar difference in power. (at least the exhaust sounds awesome) one makes a few hp more, one transfers a few wasted hp from accessories to the wheels. when looking at it on paper it's really not a bad mod.

did you notice a cooling benefit from the meziere?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
did you notice a cooling benefit from the meziere?
I don't have a temperature gauge accurate enough to tell. But increased flow at lower rpm has to increase cooling. One thing that it did was to allow me to drive home after breaking the serpentine belt. I was 10 miles from home when the belt broke and drove home without any increase in water temperature but without the alternator turning it did drain the battery.

Here is a video from Powerblock TV that dynoed headers and an electric water pump. The electric water pump resulted in an increase of 6 horsepower and 8 pounds of torque. I would have to see the dyno test before I would believe that UDPs give you more than a couple of horsepower. I have seen dyno results that show a TB/Plenum will get you around 2 horsepower.
Bang for the Buck Performance Mods | HorsePower | PowerNation TV - Full Episodes

P.S. This video confirmed what many of us had experienced from our own mods. Long-tube headers are not worth the cost and inconvenience.

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
i regret longtubes on my cobra, but probably only because they're BBKs. i cheaped out up front and now i have to remove them to even do clutch work because of the way they're designed. the sound of longtubes meant more to me than performance though, and they sure do sound good

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
i regret longtubes on my cobra, but probably only because they're BBKs. i cheaped out up front and now i have to remove them to even do clutch work because of the way they're designed. the sound of longtubes meant more to me than performance though, and they sure do sound good
Yes they do. I did my clutch at the same time as my long tubes and mine is BBK. No issue.

Headers that clear the clutch are either shitty or super expensive

·
Registered
1 Posts
I regret moding my v6 puting In the posi 3.73 gears but found a GT two week later and bought it .so sell now trying to sell v6 to do mods on GT

·
Registered
12 Posts
Putting cheap ebay racing seats in, maxpeedingrods (ebay and god awful) coilovers, harness bar with harnesses in my stock 04 gt which was my daily driver. Also buying spark plugs and installing them myself (when I knew nothing) and cross threaded one in there and blew it back out soon after. I was then suckered into buying a new head and my car has never ran the same and I'm pretty sure it had low compression in that cylinder after that.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Putting cheap ebay racing seats in, maxpeedingrods (ebay and god awful) coilovers, harness bar with harnesses in my stock 04 gt which was my daily driver. Also buying spark plugs and installing them myself (when I knew nothing) and cross threaded one in there and blew it back out soon after. I was then suckered into buying a new head and my car has never ran the same and I'm pretty sure it had low compression in that cylinder after that.
Who installed the head? Sounds like cam timing is off possibly.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that. If cam timing is off a tooth, it'll really effect performance. Did they take of the timing cover to verify?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that. If cam timing is off a tooth, it'll really effect performance. Did they take of the timing cover to verify?
The three shops have checked timing and they says its fine. The issue is very hit or miss, sometimes it feels like normal, and other times it can barely take off from a stop without stalling out when I'm flooring it. feels like its on 4 cylinders sometimes when I do a rolling wot pull (lacking power, not misfiring) but then it'll be fine the next moment. Iv'e kinda given up but thank you for your suggestion.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
So it's an intermittent misfire? Or at least the issue is intermittent. No, that would not be cam timing. Sounds more like a sensor or wiring issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So it's an intermittent misfire? Or at least the issue is intermittent. No, that would not be cam timing. Sounds more like a sensor or wiring issue.
This is so random but this weekend, I decided to just poke around the engine bay and found that the crank shaft position sensor connector was not plugged in all the way. When I pushed on it, it made a click sound and I had that "oh sh*t" moment. I took it for a drive and it no longer has the lack of power like it was pulling timing and no longer has a slight miss at idle. I cannot believe that an issue that has been plaguing my life for 2+ years and caused me to get another mustang is finally fixed after taking it to 3 different shops and spending well over 2k in labor for a simple sensor that none of them could figure out. I'm happy and mad at the same time, but I just wanted to thank this thread for giving me ideas and making my problems better. I'm going to give the car to my dad to fix up and do whatever he wants cause I have already had my fun in it and now it's his turn to enjoy it like I did. Thanks to you guys another mustang is back on the road.

361 - 377 of 377 Posts