Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
just seeing if anyone could give me some recommendations on this big problem I'm having. To start off, this is what I'm working with:

4.6L 281 bored and stroked to 5.1L 310
ported and polished 2v heads
comp springs, crower stage 3 blower cams .612
3 core sheet metal procharger ic
procharger f1r

to give you the just of it.

She made 540rwhp at 14psi. which is all dandy and all but but im sure we will all agree our work is never done. so i bumped her up to 20psi and she only made 23 more horse (563rwhp) and my goal was mid to upper 600's. Now i know an F1R is just a stupid big blower, but its gear settings are perfectly capable of creating boost quickly for my app. the only problem is see the the amount of power it takes to turn it. but judging by turning it by hand compared to a D series, im finding it EXTREMELY hard to see it robbing me of over 100 hp. now i know to 2v is a big part of the problem but its not unheard of 2v's making 700-800hp. any ideas?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Are you getting enough fuel? Are you running E85?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
As boost goes up so does load. In the borderline knock spark table timing values typically go down with load. So adding boost may also reduce timing automatically. Can you post your borderline spark table?

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
You retuned the car with the added boost correct? Also what are you torque numbers?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, just checked high and low for that damn dyno sheet and couldnt find it. i know the torque was in the 530's and yes, when i return the car for the tune i put the smaller pully on it and added a meth kit

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
How much timing before and after?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
03 stangguy, thats all crazy talk to me... dont know the 1st thing about tuning a car or what the numbers on the screen are.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Why intake? If its stock I think that's hurting you. Especially with the f1r.

What rpm was it spun up to on the dyno?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Boost is a measure of restriction, in other words, you could go with a smaller s/c pulley, which would typically yield higher boost, but if at the same time you free up resistance like doing port work in the heads, then your boost may stay the same or not go up as much as you would anticipate...

With your setup though, i'd def expect higher numbers

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Do you have lt's or intake? it would only make sense that you can't flow anymore air than you were before, if you want from 14lbs to 20lbs and hp only jumped by 23, wouldnt it appear that no matter how hard you try to shove the air through the engine theres a bottleneck in at least 1 area?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I was wondering the same thing when we were there, i was expecting numbers like you wanted. From what I can remember he had the timing between around 19 degrees.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i cant remember the brand of intake. Professional products? its metal and matched to the heads. covers look great colin

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
03 stangguy, thats all crazy talk to me... dont know the 1st thing about tuning a car or what the numbers on the screen are.
Boost is a measure of pressure. Pressure is caused by restricting the airflow into the engine. To make more power you need more airflow. If there are enough restrictions the boost will increase but airflow wont.

What does your tuner say about this?

Boost is a measure of restriction, in other words, you could go with a smaller s/c pulley, which would typically yield higher boost, but if at the same time you free up resistance like doing port work in the heads, then your boost may stay the same or not go up as much as you would anticipate...

With your setup though, i'd def expect higher numbers
Conversely, the boost can climb due the added airflow causing more restriction in the system.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts