Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met a guy this afternoon who had just purchased a Shelby from a Ford Dealer in Arkansas. He showed me a copy of a "Buyer's Warranty Information Form" that he had to sign before he could take delivery of the vehicle. One line stated that ANY modification to the vehicle would result in the rejection of the vehicle for warranty coverage consideration. Another line stated that changes to the cosmetic appearance of the vehicle would void any manufacturers coverage for paint, trim, glass, fitment or sheet metal flaws.

I asked him why he would even sign such a form and he said they told him it was required by Ford Motor Credit as part of his loan! He called the dealer about having his windows tinted and they told him unless a Ford dealer did the work it would void any coverage for the glass or power window mechanism. He was at a shop asking if they installed Ford window tint!:eek:

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
he also signed a false document breaking federal law so it will not fly :)

it would be like me signing a document to rob a bank to get a loan for a car.. same diff.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sent a memo about it to SEMA. They are gathering information on these types of forms and dealer intimidation tactics. The lady I spoke to gave me an e-mail address to forward the info to. I wish I was there when the dealer gets the call!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
+1 to HMUSN and FastFox... forms like that don't mean anything other than whoever thought the form up is going to be out of a job after the lawsuit brief get filed and the dealer's general liability insurance carrier gets the first report from their retained defense attorney. Dealers change the tune they sing when the big ole insurance carrier tells them to settle or pay for the trial out of pocket without coverage (general liability won't touch intentionally illegal acts).

It's just like an injury waiver form isn't going to hold back the trial attorneys for negligent and endangering acts. Too much money at stake in lawsuits, lol.

·
Registered
748 Posts
dealerships are full of bs tactics when you buy a car. yet they'll cover anything and everything and dont even ask questions half the time, even if its evident you may have ****ed thhe car up. dealerships are bs. stupid laws that some states passed regarding exhaust is bs too.

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
I sent a memo about it to SEMA. They are gathering information on these types of forms and dealer intimidation tactics. The lady I spoke to gave me an e-mail address to forward the info to. I wish I was there when the dealer gets the call!
It is against the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (1975)

I am in law school bitches!!!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Man, that is such BS. Hate going to dealerships, luckily my buddy was working at the one I bought my stang at.
what is? that they'll warranty **** that the customer breaks even if its due to modification?....its true. my dealer does lol. we goodwill/warranty anything and everything for you. yet, we aint goina warranty an engine you blew if you have a turbo kit on it.

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
what is? that they'll warranty **** that the customer breaks even if its due to modification?....its true. my dealer does lol. we goodwill/warranty anything and everything for you. yet, we aint goina warranty an engine you blew if you have a turbo kit on it.
I believe he was responding to the OP

·
Registered
817 Posts
You have a great dealer then or you're very cool with him.My dealership used to be o k until the tried to get out of replacing my ford racing plugs $170.00 considering all the business i brought them in the past.

·
Registered
748 Posts
lol. i work at a chevy dealer. for some reason we warranty and cover any or all bs claims, incuding legit ones.

·
Registered
20 Posts
+1 to HMUSN and FastFox... forms like that don't mean anything other than whoever thought the form up is going to be out of a job after the lawsuit brief get filed and the dealer's general liability insurance carrier gets the first report from their retained defense attorney. Dealers change the tune they sing when the big ole insurance carrier tells them to settle or pay for the trial out of pocket without coverage (general liability won't touch intentionally illegal acts).

It's just like an injury waiver form isn't going to hold back the trial attorneys for negligent and endangering acts. Too much money at stake in lawsuits, lol.
FYI - General Liability has nothing to do with this type of act. It only covers bodily injury, property damage, or personal injury like libel and slander and invasion of privacy. I've been an insurance agent for 30 years.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
That is bs, now I could see it if he changed the pully on the s/c

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
FYI - General Liability has nothing to do with this type of act. It only covers bodily injury, property damage, or personal injury like libel and slander and invasion of privacy. I've been an insurance agent for 30 years.
I spoke too soon, was thinking in terms of a first dollar defense liability policy... you're correct in that the carrier would have to determine the suit arises from a covered action. However I wouldn't put it past the wiley manueverings of Chicago's finest LaSalle street legal hound dogs though to find a way to tailor the suit to hit a coverage point in order to strike gold or settle early. If that defense isn't there (for either reason coverage or intentional act) then the dealer's screwed on the legal defense costs either way.

Blah, I'm babbling. :stfu

Ahem... Bad dealer! Don't piss off your customer base! end of rant.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts