Modded Mustang Forums banner

More Dealer BS

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  prodrifterx 
#1 ·
I met a guy this afternoon who had just purchased a Shelby from a Ford Dealer in Arkansas. He showed me a copy of a "Buyer's Warranty Information Form" that he had to sign before he could take delivery of the vehicle. One line stated that ANY modification to the vehicle would result in the rejection of the vehicle for warranty coverage consideration. Another line stated that changes to the cosmetic appearance of the vehicle would void any manufacturers coverage for paint, trim, glass, fitment or sheet metal flaws.

I asked him why he would even sign such a form and he said they told him it was required by Ford Motor Credit as part of his loan! He called the dealer about having his windows tinted and they told him unless a Ford dealer did the work it would void any coverage for the glass or power window mechanism. He was at a shop asking if they installed Ford window tint!:eek:

#6 ·
I sent a memo about it to SEMA. They are gathering information on these types of forms and dealer intimidation tactics. The lady I spoke to gave me an e-mail address to forward the info to. I wish I was there when the dealer gets the call!

#7 · (Edited)
+1 to HMUSN and FastFox... forms like that don't mean anything other than whoever thought the form up is going to be out of a job after the lawsuit brief get filed and the dealer's general liability insurance carrier gets the first report from their retained defense attorney. Dealers change the tune they sing when the big ole insurance carrier tells them to settle or pay for the trial out of pocket without coverage (general liability won't touch intentionally illegal acts).

It's just like an injury waiver form isn't going to hold back the trial attorneys for negligent and endangering acts. Too much money at stake in lawsuits, lol.

#15 ·
FYI - General Liability has nothing to do with this type of act. It only covers bodily injury, property damage, or personal injury like libel and slander and invasion of privacy. I've been an insurance agent for 30 years.

#8 ·
dealerships are full of bs tactics when you buy a car. yet they'll cover anything and everything and dont even ask questions half the time, even if its evident you may have ****ed thhe car up. dealerships are bs. stupid laws that some states passed regarding exhaust is bs too.

#11 ·
Man, that is such BS. Hate going to dealerships, luckily my buddy was working at the one I bought my stang at.
what is? that they'll warranty **** that the customer breaks even if its due to modification?....its true. my dealer does lol. we goodwill/warranty anything and everything for you. yet, we aint goina warranty an engine you blew if you have a turbo kit on it.

#16 ·
That is bs, now I could see it if he changed the pully on the s/c

#22 ·
damn figures i miss a decent amount and have to read alot once i get off work.

btw, just had a case today where we had to prove (bc our gm rep for the area says so) that the customer ruined a vehicel/caused a part to fail with his custom exhaust, custom flash tune, and intake, and his towing, and rims. we cant prove it, so we had to warranty the rebuild/overhaul of the transmission.

dealer shouldnt have to prove that a lift kit destroyed the driveaxles and transfer cases....its fact from time and time again that vehicles lifted come in with such problems, never when they are at stock height. but we still have to prove it. so some times you get away with alot, and sometimes you cant.

its a win/lose situation. its all bs. i see/know both sides of it bc i am on both sides of it (work at a dealer and deal with bs like this, but know that many things wont hurt the vehicle and shouldnt void the warranty or negate coverage).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.