Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time its not for me but I guess misfire issues are common in mustangs. I recently got my misfire issue squared away come to find out its my buddies turn lol. Well it is his only car, it misfired for a couple of days before finally throwing a code, financially can't get it fixed or get the code(s) read yet. A lot of people say take it to the auto parts stores and have them read the code but here in California (Bakersfield) they dnt do that. So he wanted to know is it safe for him to drive with it misfiring pretty bad. I couldn't think of no better people to ask than the mustang folks lol. His car has 123k miles and it is a 2003 gt

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
If the misfire is bad enough that it misfires at idle..... simply unplug one COP at a time until you unplug one that doesnt' change the idle. That's the bad one.... if it keep up after the swap theres the next bad one. Is it okay to drive it that way? Yes. Will it run like **** yes. Will it swallow gas? Yes. Fine to drive. Annoying to drive.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the misfire is bad enough that it misfires at idle..... simply unplug one COP at a time until you unplug one that doesnt' change the idle. That's the bad one.... if it keep up after the swap theres the next bad one. Is it okay to drive it that way? Yes. Will it run like **** yes. Will it swallow gas? Yes. Fine to drive. Annoying to drive.
Thanks for the info. I'll let him know. And its defijetly annoying as hell. When my car was misfiring and I couldn't get up and go how I wanted to...I didn't even want to drive it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I wouldn't drive it, if a COP\Spark Plug is misfiring it'll cause raw fuel to enter the exhaust, which will damage the Catalytic Convertors.

Unplug 1 injector or COP at a time and if you notice no difference on one, that is the bad cylinder. Do this at idle.

·
Registered
657 Posts
+1

I had a bad misfire on my 2000 gt with 120k miles i changed the cops to accel and problem solved! while changing your cops id recommend going ahead and changing your plugs aswell! pm me if you have any more questions!

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
+1

I had a bad misfire on my 2000 gt with 120k miles i changed the cops to accel and problem solved! while changing your cops id recommend going ahead and changing your plugs aswell! pm me if you have any more questions!
Get ready to have the same problem as well with the Accels.... in about a year of use. Beating a dead horse here, use the search thread for aftermarket COPs. Junk. All of them last about a year. I'll take one junkyard Ford COP over a dozen aftermarkets.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. I guess unfortunately for me I have accel coil packs. Another question though...what if more than one cylinder is misfiring. How does the pulling the plug at idle trick still apply?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Makes it harder, but still works.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Get ready to have the same problem as well with the Accels.... in about a year of use. Beating a dead horse here, use the search thread for aftermarket COPs. Junk. All of them last about a year. I'll take one junkyard Ford COP over a dozen aftermarkets.
well i got mine for 155 vs 40 per oem cop so im hapy with them. I know the GMS and MSD arent too good. I got a friend with the MSD's on his GT for 2 years now. no problems...

·
Super Moderator
13,580 Posts
Dont buy any coil packs other then Ford OEM, or youll be back to square one. Bulloch and the other guys pretty much nailed it down how to troubleshoot the COPS one at a time. as far as driving it I would not personaly until you fix the misfire.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dont buy any coil packs other then Ford OEM, or youll be back to square one. Bulloch and the other guys pretty much nailed it down how to troubleshoot the COPS one at a time. as far as driving it I would not personaly until you fix the misfire.
Thanks for the info. Dnt ford cop's cost $80 bucks a piece? I could be wrong but I thought I see that some where. Well...when we pull his plugs one by one hopfully its on the driver side cause passenger side has to much going on just to get to the cop's lol

·
Super Moderator
13,580 Posts
Thanks for the info. Dnt ford cop's cost $80 bucks a piece? I could be wrong but I thought I see that some where. Well...when we pull his plugs one by one hopfully its on the driver side cause passenger side has to much going on just to get to the cop's lol
They are a little pricey but it will save you future headaches like this chasing down gremlins caused by inferior quality Cops.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I was reading and I came across somthing that said driving your car while misfireing...it can kill the cats. How much of that do you guys no is true. And how will you know if you cats are gone? I've heard they can make a rattling kinda noise but what else. Smoke (what color),more fuel consumption...ect?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't drive it, if a COP\Spark Plug is misfiring it'll cause raw fuel to enter the exhaust, which will damage the Catalytic Convertors.

Unplug 1 injector or COP at a time and if you notice no difference on one, that is the bad cylinder. Do this at idle.
Sorry I asked the above question...smh. I should have read this 1st. Well my buddy still hasent had the money to get it fixed and now his ses light blinks for little bit then goes solid. Is it getting worst or is it the car just saying "hey...you know I'm misfiring,get me fixed"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts