Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im collecting parts to build my motor. I want to pick up a set of heads from someone on another forum. Same guy I bought my Kooks LTs from. He said they are BBR ported heads, with Manley Valves, Comp Beehive springs, and Comp retainers. He said he was reving the motor to about 7800rpm, and a rocker went, and the valve bent. But the valve looks fine. No damage to the heads or anything, figure just replace the followers and rockers with the Ford GT ones, and replace the one valve. He said he was making about 650rwhp through a 2.8l KB at 12psi. Sounds believable right? He wants $600 for them. What do you think? I really do want these, and he seems like a pretty honest guy. Heres some pics of the heads

I guess this is the valve that is bent

Also, they are Windsor heads. I picked up a 3 bolt timing cover, which Im assuming comes off a Windsor block? Say if I go with a Romeo shortblock, is it a pain in the ass to get the timing cover bolt kit? Im just confused. So many little things, trying to understand.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I would be ready to spend more money than the rocker and valve replacement. No telling what all is wrong with them. If your lucky and i hope you are, then that will be all you will have to fix. i would just be prepared.
As far as him being honest, ask him what he was using for a computer to run that motor up to 7800. Stock PCM pukes at about 7000-7200, I know from experience. And I believe Mach's and termi go a little higher but not sure if its 7800, high. That little bit of info their makes me want to ask more questions before I bought from him/her.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked him that, he said he was using big stuff three?

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Actually the windsor motor comes with a 1 Bolt timing cover, The labor for a good port job starts somehwere in the 700 dollar area and then goes up so if these heads are ported and in working order you are getting a good deal. With these saving you can take the heads to a machine shop and have them hot tanked/inspected, and most importantly Decked to ensure the deck surface is perfectly flat epecially since your supercharged.

Mike stang computer does not Die at 7000 7200 RPM I was running my Motor to 7500 on the stock ecm with no issues, and when I go to a manual valve body will be in that neighborhood again.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Umm, I hate to say it but mine does. I know a few personally that it does, and I know a few on the forums that it does, so guess you have a freak for a PCM. Just saying

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Umm, I hate to say it but mine does. I know a few personally that it does, and I know a few on the forums that it does, so guess you have a freak for a PCM. Just saying

Here mike Educate yourself a little, I dont think I have a FREAK computer, I think you may have a COP malfunctioning, or the tuner was having an issue with your perticular tune. There have been several folks over 7000 RPM on Stock Computer without complications.
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/202733-high-rpm-n-setup-s.html

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pate, what kind of springs, valves, retainers, rockers, followers and lifters are you running??

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
I've got a receipt at home with the brands and specs that I went with I can't remember of the top of my head. When I get in tonight I will PM you, but they are working great so far I can't wait to run this thing at the track and see where she stands I've got the only modular built in my area that I know of everyone else has 302 based motors.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool thanks man! I really wanna rev my car. And don't want to worry about rockers, or lifters etc...

I think I'm gonna buy the heads, and bring them to the machine shop.

Guy I'm buying the stuff from said there's only 800'ish miles on the heads.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Im running the stock rockers still, I am pretty sure I have the PAC beehive springs with a .600 Lift with thier brand keepers Im also using OEM lifters.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No ****? Stock followers too? I'm confused by those bronze valve guides. Do I need those?

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Im touching 600RWHP with an unlocked coverter ETC which we all know is more like 700RWHP on a stick car without bronze guides. I researched the bronze valve guides, and to be honest any upgrade helps, BUT how many 03/04 cobras are on stock rockers/valve guides and even springs hitting 700RWHP? quite a few I researched alot of other mustang on different sites at the time also not using Bronze valve guides without issues. Even the new trick flow heads do not come with bronze guides and people are slapping them on making insane numbers. Now if I were going for 900+rwhp I would do the upgrades, but I think it's money spent that could go towards fuel or other areas. what is the HP level you are reaching for?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
stock rockers can do some serious hp with no problems..only time people upgrade is to go lighter to get ever ounce of power they can..

stock computer isnt going to do 7800rpms..

manual vb is a pain lol..with locking the converter and OD button that crap gets old..wish i would have just kept it full auto lol valvebody..

dont really need bronze guides..unless you want fully decked out heads and plan on running some serious boost..

i didnt do bronze guides in my trickflows lol..and im sure im going to be over 900hp:)

heads seem like a great deal...and have them checked,cleaned and valve job done..

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
but why the hell does he have a bs3 with just a 2.8 and only running 12lbs hahaha..damn 2,500 stand alone seems like a waste of money..tell him to sell it to me for $300 hahahaha

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
but why the hell does he have a bs3 with just a 2.8 and only running 12lbs hahaha..damn 2,500 stand alone seems like a waste of money..tell him to sell it to me for $300 hahahaha
He said he was making like 850rwhp at 20psi and revving to like 7800rpm.

So Slow, those heads Ill get em checked. What do you think about those springs/valves/retainers for about 18-20psi/7000rpm?

There Manley Valves/Comp springs/comp retainers.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
depending on what comp springs they are..you may want to replace them with the higher seat pressure comp springs..check part number..and 20psi and 850 still sounds high lol..

but everything else sounds good..

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool thanks man! Idk about those manly valves? I couldn't really dig up any good info on them. What boos there rated for and rpm.

I believe he said comp beehive springs. Worst case I could always do the Manley nextek valve springs.

But yeah, **** it $600 I'll bring em to the machine shop and get them checked, and cleaned etc...

Anyone have a link or anything to what bolts I need if I use Windsor heads on a Romeo block? I think Romeo and windsors use different timing cover bolts/studs

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
there are 2 diff comp springs thats what im sayin..one has a lower seat pressure than the other..you need the actual highload springs that actually have the higher seat pressure than the others.. i believer american muscle has the regular comp beehieve springs..you need the better ones than whats on their site for the 2v...

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
On both of my cam swaps this year I matched my springs to the cam I ended up buying are you set on a cam yet?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts