Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to praise my mustang I have 125k and have driven my car for the last 3-4 years and have had almost 0 problems:D:DBut my MPg is really bad 10mpg what kind of gas are you guys getting and are your cars reliable too

(is 10mpg bad for my car)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow maybe i did my math wrong how to you guys check....I just filled up with 5 gallons and it lasted 50 miles

·
MM Gaming Guru
5,692 Posts
Holy crap, 10??!!?!?! I sure as heck hope your math is off. The average and most common is 16-18 city and 21-23 hwy. Which is about where mine stands. >_>.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
You shouldn't check your gas mileage that way. It leaves too much to chance. To check your gas mileage fill up the tank and reset the trip meter. Drive it until its nearly empty and fill it up again. You now have a fairly accurate measurement of fuel and mileage. Divide the mileage on the trip meter by the gallons on the pump. My car averages 20-21 mpg. It has gotten 24.6 mpg on the highway. It used to get better gas mileage but it lost 1 mpg when the supercharger was installed and another 2 mpg when the gears were put in.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Have you checked to see if your filler neck gasket/grommet is bad? I have seen some stangs around here dumping gas during left turns...

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you checked to see if your filler neck gasket/grommet is bad? I have seen some stangs around here dumping gas during left turns...
wheres that ill check..were i put gas in??

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I get 11.5-12mpg all city driving warm weather. All highway is around 20mpg with 4.10's. Your car has 125k on it. What maintenance have you done on it since it turned 100k? Spark plugs? Fuel filter? Oxygen sensors? Cleaned the iac/throttle body/maf/air filter?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it seems like it should get better $25 lasts me a week but evertime i check 10mpg

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
yea 10 is horrible... sounds like you need to do some maintance. I can get 20+ outta my 400+hp stang

·
Registered
670 Posts
wheres that ill check..were i put gas in??
It's where the filler neck enters the tank. You could fill up then have a friend drive behind you and watch you take a left hand turn relatively aggressively. If it's bad they'll notice a good amount of gas pouring out.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea 10 is horrible... sounds like you need to do some maintance. I can get 20+ outta my 400+hp stang
Im mean Im usually hauling ass cause im usually late to work would that make a difference..what matiance should i do

·
Registered
6,974 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I get 11.5-12mpg all city driving warm weather. All highway is around 20mpg with 4.10's. Your car has 125k on it. What maintenance have you done on it since it turned 100k? Spark plugs? Fuel filter? Oxygen sensors? Cleaned the iac/throttle body/maf/air filter?
ive cleaned the oxygen sensors maf and airfilter...rather then that nothing Oh i bought the car when it was already over 100k

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I get between about 17-18 with about half and half city/fwy. Just city ends up being about 15-16, and just freeway is about 20-21. If you are only getting 10mpg, you need to look into replacing the air filter, fuel filter and possibly your plugs. You should also run a couple tanks of gas through the car driving like a straight grandma and see where you are at. I'm talking shifting at or before 2,000rpm.

The only other thing I will add is that you can't just put 5 gallons in it and see how far that gets you. That is not consistent and you will get something different every time. Here's how I check my mileage.

1. Fill up the tank all the way until the pump clicks the first time......do not top it off.
2. Set the trip meter back to zero, and drive your car.
3. When you get down to 1/4 tank or less (wherever you usually add fuel again) and go to the same gas station, same pump.
4. Repeat step one and record the mileage on your trip meter and the amount of gallons it took to fill the tank the second time.
5. Divide the mileage driven by the number of gallons used, and you will have your approx MPG for that tank.

Repeat the process 3-4 times and average your MPG for all the fill-ups. That will give you a good average MPG and as close to honest as possible. The biggest thing for me is how heavy I let my right foot get between fill-ups. Also, cruise the freeway at 65mph. The faster you drive, the more load is on your engine and the more fuel is used not to mention your rmps are going to be lower at lower speeds.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts