Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody used the mothers clay bar with the spray,i bought some last night,any tips on using it

·
Registered
799 Posts
mothers clay bar works pretty good. use the quick detailer spritz it came with and wet the surface. rub the clay bar vigerously over the entire body of the car. the bar will lift extremely fine imperfections in the paint off of the body. like rail dust, or paint overspray, or other stuff. use heat lamps or an a very very bright high intensity light to work with when your doing this. so you can see the results work.

hope this helps!

~Tmac

·
Registered
799 Posts
make sure ya rub it vigerously.

in one spot back and forth for a while. work slow. listening to music helps the mood. haha

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
I used it, did really well.

It did not make my paint super smooth again, but you can deff see and feel a difference. ALWAYS rewax after doin a Clay Bar... it tends to strip a good portion of the wax.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
sorry to threadjack...

but my Mothers clay bar kit came with a carnauba cleaner wax, but I've heard from another thread that cleaner waxes will remove the paint. Should I just get some regular carnauba wax, (non-cleaner wax), and rewax with that instead?

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im assuming ths cleaner wax would remove anything else on the car that tghe clay didnt get,i guess

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
bump....i need some more info on this subject too...i plan on doing it next weekend...i used cleaner wax on some of my old cars and i noticed a little color coming off or something on the towels i was using...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
im assuming ths cleaner wax would remove anything else on the car that tghe clay didnt get,i guess
yeah, apparently it deep cleans the paint from oxidization... but I've heard it takes some of the paint off too. I think I'm just going to play it safe and get some regular carnauba wax

as for your mach stripe, if it's painted on, I wouldn't think claying it would hurt it, but I would wait for someone with a little more expertise to answer before you do... I'm just assuming

·
Registered
1,488 Posts

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Deffenitly get some regular wax. I have only used reg paste turtle wax. Mainly because its cheap, does what its ment to to, and does it good...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Yeah, I've used turtle wax too, does pretty good.

I think I might be trying Meguires after seeing those pics, going to experiment with different brands this year...

sucks though, I bought a clay bar and cleaning kit from AM, and I have this big bottle of cleaner wax that I don't want to use, lol... oh well

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
is it a vinyl or paint??

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
I would not use it on vinyl... besides, the stripe cant me in that bad of shape if it is vinyl... if it is, replace it. Cant cost to much.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Carnauba cleaner waxes that come with the clay kits are generally pretty good. At least I know the Mothers is. They've got polishes which help clean the surface and remove light scratches, minor water spots, and so on.

As a result of the types of cleaners they have in them, if you have a paint finish without a clearcoat, you'll see color transfer on your applicator. But not to worry, it's so little it's not even funny.

So long as your paint is in fairly good shape, you have nothing to worry about. If your paint is in such a sad state of affairs that you can't wax it -- it's time for a repaint anyway.

Cleaner waxes have been around for a long time and remain a standby for detailers who want a one-step solution to a good shine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts