Modded Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 509 Posts

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ill just make this one, and keep everything in here, instead of making 8 different threads. Ill post all my questions in here, any advice or opinions will definitely help me out!

MODS, please keep this in the tech section. This is more of a tech thread then a project thread because theres lots of stuff I need to learn. Thank you!

Heres the list of stuff I will be buying, Stuff I already bought Ill put in Red

MOTOR

MMR1000 4.75L Rotating Assembly

Kellog Forged Crank
MMR 4340 Forged H Beam Rods w/ ARP Rod bolts
Manley Forged Pistons w/ tool steel pins (10.25:1 compression)
Total Seal Rings
Clevite rod and main bearings
FRPP High Volume Oil Pump
Cobra Oil pump pickup tube

HEADS

Blow By Racing Race ported heads, flow 230cfm Intake and 177cfm exhaust at .600 lift.
Manley +1 oversized Stainless Valves
Comp Hi Load Springs - 125lb seat pressure
OEM Rockers

CAMS

Houston Performance s292 cams.

Intake

Edlebrock Intake + Rails + 6061 Plenum
OR
Logan Intake (if funds allow for it)

EXHAUST

Kooks Longtubes 1 7/8 Primaries into 3" collectors
Kooks o/r X pipe 3" into 2.5" for catback

FUEL

Cobra Hat
Two Division X 340 pumps
Modded FPDM
Simien Deka 80lb Injectors
PPRV Delete Kit
HPX Slot Style MAF

GASKETS/FASTNERS

OEM Head Change gasket kit (head/exhaust gaskets) ($80 from Trousley Ford)
OEM Intake, Timing Cover, Balancer, Rear main seal, Water pump gasket/nipple, oil filter housing, oil dipstick o ring, oil pump to pickup tube o ring, oil pan, thermostat o ring

ARP Head Bolts/Main Bolts
OEM for the rest of the stuff

MISC

OEM Timing Chain Kit
3 Bolt Timing Cover
Innovaters West 10% OD Harmonic Balancer
96-99 Supercharger Bracket
8 Bolt AFM Flywheel (14lbs lighter then stock)
1 Manley Valve (guess one was bent, Ill have them check once inspected)
TFS Valve Covers
MMR Oil Pan

Heads Ill have inspected, hot tanked, and decked
Have shortblock assembled and balanced at SMG in Hopedale MA

How does that look? Any advice or opinions at all?

Can anyone link me to where I can buy all the fastners/bolts? I know I can buy the ARP stuff from MMR. But as far as like timing cover bolts? Intake bolts?

I want to use all new bolts.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Still sticking with the v1?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
im very impressed, i can tell you did your homework. very excited to see this build.

i bought all my fasteners, gaskets, pistons and cobra pump/pick-up tube combo from modmaxracing.

only thing i would suggest is using fel-pro MLS (multi layered steel) head gaskets if ur guna be making some power (which you will be) dont buy that expensive copper cosmetic BS. at 60$ a head the MLS gaskets are well worth it paired with ARP head studs.

also (and im sure you know) prepare yourself for down time at the machine shop even balancing and assembly can take a wile for any busy "renowned" raceshop or even local shop (unless you have the hook-ups ofcoarse lol) and since im assuming your using larger pistons for the 4.75L prepare to spend even more down time for boring and honing. also prepare for the bill to be more than expected, like fees for gapping the piston rings and im not sure how dirty the block is or how many miles are on it but it may also need to be de-greased.

have harmonic damper, flexplate ,and sometimes converter (depending on shop) readily available for the balancing process as well (but IIRC you have a manual trans?)

oh and post as many pics as possible lol

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man! Reps!

Yeah, I talked to the owner at SMG, he told me for assembly, itll be $800-1000. He said that will include everything, this is what he said

" checking all bearing clearances, Piston clearances, gapping the rings, and taking all measurments to calculate compression ratio. You also get an assembly sheet with all the bolt torque specs, bearing clearances, ring gaps etc so you know exactly what you are getting."

Then he told me about another $800-1000 to have the block cleaned, honed with deck plates, balance the assembly and all that.

Good info for all the fastners at ModMax. And the head gaskets too, thanks man!

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still sticking with the v1?
Yeah, I think I might send it in to get upgraded to the Si trim. Not 100% sure yet. Might see what I can make out of the S trim, see if I can break 600rwhp on it. Then upgrade from there

·
The Little 2v That Could
1,623 Posts
I have hp292s and love them, but why not go with something a little more radical, maybe a stage 3 blower cam? If it was me, I'd just get the notched pistons in the MMR1000 from them and run the biggest blower cams possible, especially with those ported heads. Not trying in anyway to steer you away or being negative, just a little curious.

Also, are you going to max out the s-trim first or go straight to a t or ysi?

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good man, good luck with the build.
Thanks man!

I think my ultimate goal is to break 600rwhp, and run high 10's @ 130+

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have hp292s and love them, but why not go with something a little more radical, maybe a stage 3 blower cam? If it was me, I'd just get the notched pistons in the MMR1000 from them and run the biggest blower cams possible, especially with those ported heads. Not trying in anyway to steer you away or being negative, just a little curious.

Also, are you going to max out the s-trim or go straight to a t or ysi?
I dont want to aggressive cams. I want it to be extremley streetable. s292's seem to be the perfect cam for that.

And possibly upgrading to the Si trim. I doubt Ill ever do a YSi, if I do it would be a while from now. Trying to skip doing the 8 rib upgrade. Figure a 10% OD and 3" blower pulley I shouldnt get any slip. Well see though!

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Looks good by why such high compression ratio?

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im running methanol already. So Ill be able to bump the compression up some. And Ill probably be doing an e85 tune aswell. Thats why Im going with 80lb injectors instead of 60's

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Im running methanol already. So Ill be able to bump the compression up some. And Ill probably be doing an e85 tune aswell. Thats why Im going with 80lb injectors instead of 60's
Oh ok cool. Looks good. Good luck with the build!

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh ok cool. Looks good. Good luck with the build!
Thanks bud!

There are a few sets of hp292s in te for sale section here, svtp, and corral.
Yea, Idk if I want to buy regrinds. Id feel better buying some billet cores. Ill see, I know they say you should shim the ?? I forget but I know a lot of people dont do that and have no issues. Ill see, still up in the air.

I think Im gonna bang out the rest of my fuel system parts, cause that sucks. Id rather just get that done with. Then buy all the gaskets/fasteners, then I can buy the rotating assembly/cams/intake etc..

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Maybe I missed it. What compression ratio are you looking at? Why are you going with ported stock heads instead of Trick Flow?

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe I missed it. What compression ratio are you looking at? Why are you going with ported stock heads instead of Trick Flow?
About 10.2:1. Cams should bleed off a little compression.

And because I dont feel like spending $2300 on heads lol. For the price, I can't justify it. Ported stock heads can get into the 700+rwhp area. Im not even looking for that much power

·
Registered
530 Posts
With a build like that I would definitely do 8 rib now and be done with it. I would look to atleast t trim too. Ysi is a bad ass blower.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Thanks man!

I think my ultimate goal is to break 600rwhp, and run high 10's @ 130+
With 600rwhp, proper suspension, and good driving. That should yield low 10s (9s if you have weight reduction and are really good at driving) all day long.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Trick flow is over rated IMO. I have ported heads and I'm planning to be at 650-700rwhp once I build my trans and upgrade my fuel system.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
About 10.2:1. Cams should bleed off a little compression.

And because I dont feel like spending $2300 on heads lol. For the price, I can't justify it. Ported stock heads can get into the 700+rwhp area. Im not even looking for that much power
Good compression ratio. I've been looking at the MMR options for a long time. The price difference between a ported stock head and a trick flow isn't $2,300. Hell, when I look at building a motor locally they told me ported polished heads (my heads rebuilt) would be $1,600.

1 - 20 of 509 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.