Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Motor seized

While on the dyno getting a tune for a turbo install the motor seizedd up. After reviewing some of the data log it looks like the variable timing was fluctuating at the top end. I'm guessing oil starvation? I should have the motor out and torn down in the next few days and hopefully can find a smoking gun. I was kinda expecting something like this due to the motor being neglected by the previous owner and having 150k mikes on it so I'm not too discouraged. Now I'll have to determine wether to rebuild or replace. Any thoughts?

·
Resident Headbanger
2,410 Posts
While on the dyno getting a tune for a turbo install the motor seized up.

I was kinda expecting something like this due to the motor being neglected by the previous owner and having 150k mikes on it
I think you were either very brave or very foolish to turbo a high mileage engine that hasn't been properly maintained. Don't waste any time or money trying to rebuild it. Just get a new engine with forged internals.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
So it Seized up or blew up? I would think that the only part you would want to use again would be the block and like Bullitt said, just get a new one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The autopsy is mostly complete. Debris from what looks like broken prices of timing chain guides were plugging a large portion of the oil pick up tube screen. Multiple rod bearings seized on the crank.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
I would steer clear of MMR. Too many issues with them and too many other good engine builders out there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's possible. Picked up another motor yesterday. I'll flush all the lines and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
The autopsy is mostly complete. Debris from what looks like broken prices of timing chain guides were plugging a large portion of the oil pick up tube screen. Multiple rod bearings ceased on the crank.

SEIZED! SEIZED! :)

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Yeah, all right. No need to rub it in! ;)
It's all good man, I seized up the PI swapped engine in my 97 Thunderbird a couple of months ago. Working on getting a 2003 Explorer motor to drop in, along with some Kooks headers and MHS Stage 2 cams. Should really wake it up, and weigh less!

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
boss can you recommend another engine builder? and what are some of the issues with mmr
MMR has multiple Internet stories about them not standing behind their products and really poor dealings with customers. Do a search over on S197 forum or SVT forum for MMR and see what you come up with.

Person all I would try and go local for an engine builder. Just easier to get **** taken care of when there are issues. Building motors is not rocket science. Building to specs and tolerances should be possible with any reputable engine builder. Though the 4.6 3v has its intricacies and personality, in the end a motor is a motor.

·
Registered
391 Posts
MPR in Boynton Beach FL put my forged 4.6 stroker together. They build strong blocks. 561-588-0188.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
SEIZED! SEIZED! :)

boss can you recommend another engine builder? and what are some of the issues with mmr
I'll vouch for BES. They did the machining on mine and have built some crazy big power modulars for GT500s. Prices were pretty reasonable too, not much more than the average shop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts