Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i got the new motor in the car everything bolted in but when i turn the key all of my gauges such as battery, fuel, oil, all hang in the middle and fluctuate back and forth and when i try to start it the starter doesn't engage. i checked with a volt meter on the starter and and it gets no power. different warning lights flash also when i let go of the key i.e CEL abs and low fuel.fuel pump engages tho.

So to check if i didn't plug something in i was wondering if someone could help me by telling me what plugs/sensors need to be connected for the car to start i.e where i should start first cause the car isn't on my property so i cant go back and forth from my computer.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
There is a big wire harness by the passenger side fire wall that has a bolt on top. Make sure it is I.stalled correct and the bolt is tight.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the gian one closest to the corner? im pretty positive i never unplugged that.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
when i pulled my motor i only had to undo the harness by the passenger side cause its the one that connects your fuel injecters, tps, iac, and a couple of other random sensers. also from the bottom there is the wire bundle that connects to your oil pump and has the crank shaft position senser, the starter wires, and the ac compresser. there are 2 ground straps that hook up on the motor mounts.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im missing one of those grounds and the ac compressor is off the car so i didnt plug that in,now the car has power so would the ground still make the computer not want to turn over?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
If the engine won't even crank over it's a wiring or ignition/clutch switch problem.

There is no PCM controlled starter immobilization on our cars, it's all switches and wiring--here's a link to the starting system description and wiring diagrams

The grounds are all important, the oddities you describe could be related depending on which one is missing.

Are the instrument cluster and PCM a match pair? They have to be or the PATS will disable the fuel pump and injectors...

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the engine won't even crank over it's a wiring or ignition/clutch switch problem.

There is no PCM controlled starter immobilization on our cars, it's all switches and wiring--here's a link to the starting system description and wiring diagrams

The grounds are all important, the oddities you describe could be related depending on which one is missing.

Are the instrument cluster and PCM a match pair? They have to be or the PATS will disable the fuel pump and injectors...
yes everything is oem except the longblock i had an issue with the crank sensor so it can be that also on the driver side im pretty sure i only connected the flat ground wire located on the motor mount bolt to the clutch bracket, i think im missing a ground right next to that one.

also the symptoms again are oil, batt., fuel and water, going to the half way mark and fluctuating back and forth then when you turn the key to start nothing happens until you let go where the CEL, ABS, LOW FUEL E-Brake lights blink one at a time. will a obd2 scanner catch what sensor is incorrect?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you may also want to take a peak at your crank sensor pigtail,make sure the connection is good and not pulling out.
sorry for double posting but if this is the sensor on the timing case i had an issue with it early on that i will check i am just gathering as much info as i can becaus eiw ill not be able to look at the car till monday, at that time i will be far from any computer or cell phone signal

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
ground issue

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ground issue
this is what i was thinking except it seems like the computer is making a big deal for a simple ground issue?

the hood ground doesnt need to be connected right? anyone have a picture to where the 2 motor mount grounds connect?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
update:

Computer issue is fixed it was the crank sensor and the two ground wires on the motor mount. but the car still wont start my last conclusion while i was driving home was the start is bad.The car has been sitting for about 9 months so this could be a big possibility.
car has perfect batt. charge and when you go to start nothing...then a brief click sound from the starter...If you try to crank repeatedly you get a buzz sound from the ignition key/steering colum.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bump? any thoughts that this could b the culprit?

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
pull the starter and bench test it before you throw 150 bucks away on one and it doesnt fix it

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
right but im just seeing if someone thinks it's a unrelated problem trying to figure out what the click is after you let go of the key? i've checked multiple times for connects too close and its not that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts