Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My motor now has around 120k miles on it. The valve guide seals are pretty much done for, there is a horrible knock when starting up a cold motor. I have owned the car for 9 years now and when I was younger, I was stupid and beat the hell out of the motor and never took care of maintenance. I've decided not to rebuild this motor as I just was promoted into a higher position and will not have the time to do the work myself or have much downtime for the car since my wife needs her car. I have around $3500-5000(cash) to spend on a engine. I really just want a new motor that I can just drop in no hassle by a mechanic. I don't really have the time to even research what I can do with this as of right now because of the transfer time of the guy i'm taking over at work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't think this motor has much time left before it goes. There are a lot of other things wrong with it that are not too bad, but I just don't have time.

Thanks guys.

2002 Mustang GT
Stock motor
T-56 Transmission
MAC O/R H-Pipe

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mainly a DD. If anything just normal bolt ons, no major work.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I think you didnt keep up with oil changes? Or not enough oil man... I have 113k on my car, change the oil every 3k or 3500 (at most) and always keep 6.5qts in it (with the blower) I had a little oil leak at the rear main seal and blower, so I would check once in a while, and add a quart.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
My point is, sorry I got away, these motors will last. Most of the times they let go is lack of oil.

·
Lexus FTW
4,411 Posts
just buy a reman one for cheap. Could go with MMR but they are pricey for a dd car. Or just get a used longblock for like a grand locally

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My point is, sorry I got away, these motors will last. Most of the times they let go is lack of oil.
Yea I know they will... That's why I said in first post I didn't keep up with maintenance... cause I was young and dumb and didn't care.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Do you have any plans of going with boost or spray?

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you dont plan on getting too crazy with power i say get a reman shortblock with a trickflow top end kit. That would put you at about 5k.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have any plans of going with boost or spray?
I would like to stay N/A but have more power than stock. I been looking at some crates and i really don't want to pay that much for what I'm finding on my google searches. I would like to rebuild the motor, but I'm stationed in Goldsboro N.C. There is no good shops in a 1 and a half hour range(I haven't had this car go more than 40 miles at one time in the past 4 years or so. I don't know what could happen on a trip) and I just started to notice that the oil is going down a little more than usual. Also, with a rebuild. I honestly have no clue on the first step of what to do.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I would buy an MMR longblock then. Look into them

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what would be the cost of dropping one of those in... The cheapest one I saw was 4.5k not even counting S&H.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
You are going to struggle with A 3500-5000 budget if you are having to pay someone to do the work for you. consider a short block, and then have your heads ported and reworked you can get this done for about 3500-3800 and leave a few hundred dollars for gaskets Fluids etc. I would say your looking at about 1000 to pull the motor and reinstall. The best bet would be to do the motor yourself in order to save money to buy better parts.

·
Lexus FTW
4,411 Posts
a reman could hold a nice 125 shot of spray, voils warrenty if they offer that, but a cheaper route and what I would do if I was you. Then you have money for the install, and maybe even the nitrous kit

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
a reman could hold a nice 125 shot of spray, voils warrenty if they offer that, but a cheaper route and what I would do if I was you. Then you have money for the install, and maybe even the nitrous kit
You know any good reman sites. I found a bunch but don't know which ones are reliable.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are going to struggle with A 3500-5000 budget if you are having to pay someone to do the work for you. consider a short block, and then have your heads ported and reworked you can get this done for about 3500-3800 and leave a few hundred dollars for gaskets Fluids etc. I would say your looking at about 1000 to pull the motor and reinstall. The best bet would be to do the motor yourself in order to save money to buy better parts.
I really would love to do it myself, but I really don't have any time nor the means to have one of my vehicles down for the time frame that would take me to do it by myself.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Spend your cash on a DD so you can have your stang for weekends. Oh ok that was not the question. So spend part of the cash on as good used stock 2v from $300-800. So many people underestimate the junkyard. :)

Get the DD first so you can take your time. Even dropping major $$$$ does not mean that you wont have to take it down for a while anyway.

·
Lexus FTW
4,411 Posts
A junkyard COULD work but I would not throw a previously, most likely beat engine, then spray it :no I personally don't know a good place to buy a reman but I saw em for 2050. Say $450 TOPS to ship (shouldnt be close to that) then 1k-1.5k pull and install by shop would be dependant on area. That puts you at 3500-4000. Then Zex kit plus some goodies =5k :rockon :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts