Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 302 with the parts in my sig, a friend of mine has a 1993 lightning, he pulled the engine had the short block rebuilt and before he put it back in, he came across a 408. So he put the short block aside and installed the 408.
He has offered me the rebuilt .30 short block for $800. I'm not trying to build a big stroker, just a little more power then my 302 has.
My question is simple, since I already have trick flow 170 heads, and would just need minimal swap parts, would that 351w make that much more power to justify the swap? I have access to all swap parts. So cost would be minimal.

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
Seems worth it if he has all the paperwork on the build. I would be interested to see what pistons it has.

Side note: you will need a new intake manifold too

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know about the manifold, headers, oil pan, and dizzy. I have all the stuff minus the swap headers. My dad is a lifelong mustang man, so he has all the extra little pieces.
What would be a good estimate of power increase by swapping motors assuming I use a similar cam and the tf heads I have

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
While you have it apart you might wanna have port work done on the heads. I bet you don't gain a ton. Maybe 50hp and 75lbft. Once again it depend on the pistons and what compression they will run. I would check out different cam options too. That tfs1 will peak early

I'm no expert on 351's tho. I am still reading about em getting ideas on my next build

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
It's hard to say what the gains would be without knowing what pistons are in the 351, because you don't know what compression you're going to end up with. All things equal, the gain would be minimal, using the parts that are in your 302 in a 351, but you'll have an engine that'll hold a lot more, if you do more mods down the road. Really, you'd be a nitrous kit away from going fast.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My goal is a reliable 400rwhp. Would the tf heads on a 351 support that?

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
If you port the tw's, add a custom cam, and if the pistons are good for 10-1 or better then I'd say you have a chanceat 400rwhp.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
351s dont tend to put out as much hp per cubic inch as a 302 stroker does from my experience n/a. The pistins, are they flat tops or dished? What kind? Was the assembly balanced? Was it torqueplate honed? Rod bolts replaced?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will find out the answer to those questions before I commit to buy it. Because in reality if I would be better off boosting my 302 I would rather do that. I don't have a problem spending money, I just don't want to spend it blindly.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did find where it said the stock 93 lightning had 8.8:1 compression, so if there stock style pistons then it might be good for boost?

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
So many possibilities with a 351...like a 408 in the future

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
I did find where it said the stock 93 lightning had 8.8:1 compression, so if there stock style pistons then it might be good for boost?
Yes, might be. Are the pistons forged?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Most likely your heads will have a larger chamber then the lightning (guessing) so it will most likely drop compression more. That motor, those heads, and boost. Reliable pump gas 400+ easy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That sounds like a plan right there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts