Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay a lot of you know I will be going FI very soon with a S/C against most of the people on here's advice :p. So I have a few questions on the block.

Is it worth it to bore the block out? If so how much?
Anyone got piston recommendations? I am completely in the dark on these who makes good ones what shape dish should I get?
I love the sound and feel of strokers do they make a stroker kit for the 3.8l? Will it be safe with a S/C?
Since I'm opening the block to stuff some forged internals in it should I modify the heads? If so do they make ready heads?
Anything else you guys can think of?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel like there is no such thing as a simple mod for these cars. Once you get into the block if you change one thing you have to change a bunch of other stuff too.

Is there any bonus to a longer stroke besides the kick ass sound of a stroker? Can the stroke on the 3.8l block be made any longer or does the current crack shaft already reach the bottom of the cylinder? I guess that is the real question isn't it? No point in going any further in questions if its not feasible to extended the stroke any further...

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
I don't think anybody would notice the difference in sound jfyi.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Supersix motorsports makes a 4.2 stroker kit that comes with pistons and rods, and they make a 4.3 long rod stroker kit too, and if your going S/C you'll probably have to upgrade the heads anyway, at least stud them

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want to do a motor swap because that always has issues.

I was looking at the stage 3 super heads then got to thinking what all can be done to the 3.8l? I know it can be bored to 3.875 inches safely. And the valves can be ported from 1.861-inch intake/ 1.461 inches exhaust to 1.84 inches intake side/ 1.55 inches
exhaust. And if your crazy balls to the wall you could go as big as 2.02 inch intake 1.60 inch exhaust but they need larger seats for the valves. The stage 3 super heads are at 1.94/1.56 So somewhere in the middle.

Whats the math formula to figure out the displacement of a motor?

(Sources: Building the Ford 3.8L Engine
http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/SSM2009catrev1CylinderHeads.pdf)

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
wouldn't be a point spending so much on heads and you can't go past x_hp with the s/c, may as well go forged and up the boost.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I plan on going forged internals. I don't mind pulling a block and reinstalling the same block I just don't want to swap blocks.

The 4.2l crank from SSMS fits the 3.8l right? It just increases the stroke of the cylinder.

I feel stupid asking this. Only way to learn is to ask questions and make mistakes.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
I plan on going forged internals. I don't mind pulling a block and reinstalling the same block I just don't want to swap blocks.

The 4.2l crank from SSMS fits the 3.8l right? It just increases the stroke of the cylinder.

I feel stupid asking this. Only way to learn is to ask questions and make mistakes.

Did you ever ponder the idea that swapping a built block would be simpler and less time consuming than having your block built?

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
wouldn't be a point spending so much on heads and you can't go past x_hp with the s/c, may as well go forged and up the boost.
Did you ever ponder the idea that swapping a built block would be simpler and less time consuming than having your block built?
Spot on, couldnt say it better. Listen to ESG bro, he is the Guru. Just find you a good clean fully built block with a forged bottom end, slap on your charger and have all the boost you can handle. lol. Seriously tho, if you get a built block from a reputable dealer you will be fine, no more probs then you building yours.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is the only company who offers forged SSMS? I feel their prices are ridiculous. I wonder if I sent them an email and requested forged internals how much of a price jump it'd be. I will send them an email tomorrow and report my findings. Other than it not being forged does it look like a good block?

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Is the only company who offers forged SSMS? I feel their prices are ridiculous. I wonder if I sent them an email and requested forged internals how much of a price jump it'd be. I will send them an email tomorrow and report my findings. Other than it not being forged does it look like a good block?
Its fine, but its just a rebuilt motor... Your local machine shop could do that for you for prob 500-700$ cheaper.

SSX prices are expensive because well they are the only place "mainstream" you can get parts from. they have forged internals on the site I believe. ($1325 for the stroker kit)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looking at the 4.2 stroker kit SSM has what all do I need to do to the block if anything?
Whats included in the kit?
What do I need to supply?

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Looking at the 4.2 stroker kit SSM has what all do I need to do to the block if anything?
Whats included in the kit?
What do I need to supply?
well if it has bearings, rings, and is balanced, etc....

I would have the block cleaned, cam bearings, honed, you know basic machine work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts