Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its not overheating just running alittle hotter than it should. I was wondering about some solutions.... would flushing the old antifreeze and replacing with fresh antifreeze work? What about replacing the thermostat? Is that an easy process? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I would buy the radiator/coolant system flush and follow the directions on the back of the bottle. Will help clean out cooling system a bit. And yes you can do the thermostat at same time, it is very simple task. Get a 180 degree.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
whats the temp outside where u are at,maybe the days are hotter or something,but if not just do like ryan said,other than that ur water pump maybe getting ready to **** on you

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I would start with the flush and termo, always best to start with easiest and cheapest. And a flush is never a waste. Take like 30 mins to do both flush and t stat.

Usually the water pump will start to make noise, and or leak before it craps out. But as he said, can't completely rule that out.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I own a 2001 where can I find a NEW 180 thermastat?

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Rockauto.com, any of the mustang sites that sell parts have them also. And possibly auto parts store, maybe if you asked for the cobra one. I think theirs is cooler? No idea about that though so you should check if going that route.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The Cobra does use a 180°F thermostat, however without changing the fan speed settings in the tune the engine will still run at 210°F to 220°F when stopped and at speeds below 30 MPH or so.

How many "needle widths" too hot is it running, under what conditions? If the ambient temperature is higher than normal, and you see this when idling or at low speeds, it may be normal.

The radiator flush should be done anyway, as it has probably never been done.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Yeah thats true cliff, he would need to adjust fan speed. I figured it as a might as well type of thing even if he doesn't have the option to adjust the fan.

And the gauge is really inaccurate, If its 3/4 to the right then i would be worried as 1/2 is the "optimum" temp the gauge reads i believe. Or a bit past it. Do a flush first, would probably get you the few degrees that it is higher than the normal youre used to.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well my friend had a 2001 early model and his needle always landed a needles width before the center picture. I own a late model and the needle lands half a needles with past the center picture. No matter if I am going 75 or idleing its stays the same so I gues I will start with a flush and a t stat and work from there. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Well my friend had a 2001 early model and his needle always landed a needles width before the center picture. I own a late model and the needle lands half a needles with past the center picture. No matter if I am going 75 or idleing its stays the same so I gues I will start with a flush and a t stat and work from there. Thanks!
If the fact that your gauge reads a bit higher then another is the basis for your being concerned about running hot, and other than that it holds steady, then there's nothing wrong,

The gauges are not that accurate, even from one car to another within the same model year.

I'd still flush it, which should be done every couple years anyway, however if the gauge is steady under all conditions once warmed up then there is nothing wrong with your cooling system.

·
Registered
828 Posts
coolant flush is actually supposed to be done every 15k miles. do that. I wouldn't bother with the T-stat unless you begin overheating. If the car is holding a constant temperature just leave it alone.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The '03 shop manual says 45k (and every 30k after that) for green coolant, and 100k or 5 years (then 50k/3 years) for the yellow coolant.

The yellow coolant contains organic components that have a "shelf life", that's why the time-based recommendations in addition to mileage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts