Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever my motor blew my piston shot up and hit a valve popping of a rocker the valve doesn't look bent but it doesn't completely close like the rest of them and there's a spot on the head where it looks like it got bent a little. What should be my next step? Should I scrap the head or it's probably best to just put in a new valve and rocker?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Whenever my motor blew my piston shot up and hit a valve popping of a rocker the valve doesn't look bent but it doesn't completely close like the rest of them and there's a spot on the head where it looks like it got bent a little. What should be my next step? Should I scrap the head or it's probably best to just put in a new valve and rocker?
It looks like the head got bent or the valve got bent? Either way machine shop is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It hit it pretty hard the rocker popped out and got little cracks in it. I'm debating on taking it to the shop or just buying a used one. I already have a block with forged pistons and rods but stock crank.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Was there any work done to your heads or were they stock? If they were stock I would say just buy a different head. If they were ported, try to get it fixed.

FYI ... I believe the MMR500 & 600 shortblocks use stock cranks with forged pistons and rods. The MMR750 and up uses forged cranks.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
The heads not going to be damaged by the impact. Aluminum cracks, it doesn't bend. The valve will need to be replaced.... all of the valves should be checked while the heads off though. Yes replace the cam follower as well.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
The heads not going to be damaged by the impact. Aluminum cracks, it doesn't bend. The valve will need to be replaced.... all of the valves should be checked while the heads off though. Yes replace the cam follower as well.
So, you haven't seen a warped aluminum head before??????

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My mechanic sold me some PI heads for 120 but they look different I wonder what kind of PI heads they are one says 42 PI and te other 62PI and the part that holds the cam is different.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
So, you haven't seen a warped aluminum head before??????
Warpage isn't caused by piston impact. The issue at hand is piston impact. Aluminum heads don't warp from piston impact, they crack. Warpage is caused by heat cycles. Next.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Your question is incomplete. If the cam is installed in the head, no all valves won't be closed if all cam/valve components are in place. If cams or followers removed all valves should be closed. Take the heads to a reputable machine shop and have them checked. Checks are cheap. Let them know what's wrong, what happened. They'll check all associated issues and fix them. It's actually very affordable, certainly much more affordable than half assing it now and then doing it all over again in the near future.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok spunds good I'll get them checked but I'm still curious as to why they look different than my other heads am 100% sure they are PI

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Depends what looks different. Post a pic and I'll tell you what they are.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Idk. Never posted from my phone. I have too many computers. If i'm not in front of a computer I don't have time to be on here. Figure it out. I want to see pics.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
mustang windsor PI heads - Google Search
They look like that so I guess they are Windsor heads? Which ones are better Windsor or Romeo
Okay, so they just don't have the cam cap girdles? That's one of the few differences between Windsor and Romeo. You'll need Windsor valve covers also. Other than that, they're interchangeable with Romeos.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
My pleasure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts