Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some pics for SSG Pete so not to clutter up 98SnakeHorse thread.

I am using an On3 kit for reference and no real complaints. Especially as things are not stock and I'm will not blame someone for something it was not designed for. So what I had was stock fan assembly was extremely close to turbo housing. Maybe 3/4" and made it very difficult to install or remove. I had already cleaned up engine bay and radiator core support was still a fugly mess.

With that I grabbed saw and cut out top of core support.

Used 1/8" thick steel for rebuilding top. 3" on top and 2" in front which is the same as stock. It is just slightly heavier than what I removed but allows for rad go completely under it.

I reused the stop upper mounts. Just cut them up and added a small wall to drill and tap threaded hole for screw to mount it to support. I did have to trim top posts for mounting maybe 1/4", otherwise it was a tight fit. Trimming lets rad have some ability to move with chassis better as it would have been in stock location.

Lower mounts I cut off the bottom of core support. Then notched support and moved them forward 2". Even made room for radiator drain too. Yes I should have just replaced lower with tube and still may.

Cleaned up and painted.

Now plenty of room for turbo and upgrades to turbo in future. I can also get a hold of replacement radiator or fan easier using the stock components.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Okay... i have alot of questions. But the one that bothers me the most, what is that black tubular bracket over your turbo? What size is your turbo? This looks like a dedicated track/show vehicle based on the deletion of everything. So ill ask the lame questions of, was deleting the AC, power steering, abs worth it? Or have those pieces just not been reinstalled yet?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay... i have alot of questions. But the one that bothers me the most, what is that black tubular bracket over your turbo? What size is your turbo? This looks like a dedicated track/show vehicle based on the deletion of everything. So ill ask the lame questions of, was deleting the AC, power steering, abs worth it? Or have those pieces just not been reinstalled yet?
The whatever it was which was suppose to be a support bracket that came with kit had zero chance of even bolting together. The black bracket is a support for the turbo that I made out of 1/2" round tube. Looked for ideas and searched online until I found something similar used on a 4V. Looked easy enough to make and came out good.

Car is only a track car. Taken off the road in 2014. There has not been A/C on it since 2004 after line got burned by header. Ended up just deleting it. Never missed it and useless at track. Car doesn't even have the heating system in it anymore. Big empty space under dash. Car never had ABS as it was an option in 2004(was one reason I bought it beside color). Fully converted to manual brakes and Flaming River manual rack. I keep track of all weight removed or added to car. Decent amount off front end but now adding weight to middle with 10point cage I have yet to install and thru floor sub frame connectors I'm half way done with. Need to get back working on it as it has sat for few weeks now without being touched.

Turbo is just the 70mm piece that came with kit. Really I just put it in to get tubing figured out as I had to cut and re-weld one cold side section as TB was not in stock location and effected location at apron. May keep it for initial tuning and few passes for track to see how it goes. Looking to use a Precision 76/75 and a better waste gate.

I cleaned up engine bay after beginning to swap in new engine only to find major rust issues in frame at strut towers. Rebuilt frame at strut area and fabbed up the front fender aprons. Once cleaned up I realized I didn't want to see any of the wiring. All is hidden with only the engine harness seen on back of firewall. Rest of it is under intake. Chassis harnesses are outside the fender aprons. Extended wiring where needed to get it to move where I wanted.

It may be my track car but I still like things to look somewhat decent. Doesn't have to be perfect but anything is better than the mess Ford had under the hood.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Looks really awesome. I think the radiator tucked in loos great and provides a good amount of clearance, and have you thought of angling the radiator? Also did you box the open parts of the lower core support that you cut? I would really love to do something like this for my radiator just for fun.

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
That looks great! Engine bay is very clean.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
The whatever it was which was suppose to be a support bracket that came with kit had zero chance of even bolting together. The black bracket is a support for the turbo that I made out of 1/2" round tube. Looked for ideas and searched online until I found something similar used on a 4V. Looked easy enough to make and came out good.

Car is only a track car. Taken off the road in 2014. There has not been A/C on it since 2004 after line got burned by header. Ended up just deleting it. Never missed it and useless at track. Car doesn't even have the heating system in it anymore. Big empty space under dash. Car never had ABS as it was an option in 2004(was one reason I bought it beside color). Fully converted to manual brakes and Flaming River manual rack. I keep track of all weight removed or added to car. Decent amount off front end but now adding weight to middle with 10point cage I have yet to install and thru floor sub frame connectors I'm half way done with. Need to get back working on it as it has sat for few weeks now without being touched.

Turbo is just the 70mm piece that came with kit. Really I just put it in to get tubing figured out as I had to cut and re-weld one cold side section as TB was not in stock location and effected location at apron. May keep it for initial tuning and few passes for track to see how it goes. Looking to use a Precision 76/75 and a better waste gate.

I cleaned up engine bay after beginning to swap in new engine only to find major rust issues in frame at strut towers. Rebuilt frame at strut area and fabbed up the front fender aprons. Once cleaned up I realized I didn't want to see any of the wiring. All is hidden with only the engine harness seen on back of firewall. Rest of it is under intake. Chassis harnesses are outside the fender aprons. Extended wiring where needed to get it to move where I wanted.

It may be my track car but I still like things to look somewhat decent. Doesn't have to be perfect but anything is better than the mess Ford had undeinr the hood.
What a response! to be honest you are motivating me to hide my coil pack/injector harness bs under my P-51 intake. I wire tucked the passenger side of the bay already, just havent felt conpelled to do the drivers side since I have power steering, power brakes and abs lines everywhere.

So my thinking is when the ac dies, ill get rid of it, until then i will use it the 5 times a year i need it.

Have you driven your car on the street much with manual steering and brakes? My car is 85% street duty and i only put 3000-5000 miles a year on the thing. I just question if i can correct the car with manual steering if the back end comes out. And how much of a pita it will be going into parking spaces.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Looking great, you've put a lot of work into this and it shows. I like the hidden wires that from what i can tell takes alot of time to get it to that level.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Very well done. Looks great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts