Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of the rear seat delete

Modular Mustang Racing

PT 900500

and

PT 900750
Upgrade Rear section to Aluminum (NHRA approved firewall)
With this option battery does not need to be inside of box (carpeted on passenger side for factory look)

So to be track legal I would not have to put my optima in a box? I have a billit hold down for it now, I would just have to add the battery kill switch somewhere in the back?

Something didnt sound right about that, but I know nothing about track rules I have never been to a track, just autocross and dyno pulls...

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone know where I can get a book or something of all the track rules?

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
First you wouldn't need to put an optima battery in a box since they are sealed and can even be run upside down. And I wouldn't buy a rear seat delete from then. Get it from Scottrod, guy sells some nice aluminum pieces!!!

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
this is the nicest one ive seen.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
NHRA Rules

8.1 BATTERIES

All batteries must be securely mounted and may not be relocated into the driver or passenger compartments. Rear firewall of .024-inch (.6 mm) steel or .032-inch (.8 mm) aluminum (including package tray) required when battery is re-located in trunk. In lieu of rear firewall, battery may be located in a sealed .024-inch (.6 mm) or .032-inch (.8 mm) aluminum, or FIA accepted poly box. If sealed box is used in lieu of rear firewall, box may not be used to secure battery, and must be vented outside of body. Strapping tape prohibited. A maximum of two automobile batteries, or 150 pounds (68 kg) combined maximum weight (unless otherwise specified in Class Requirements) is permitted. Metal battery hold-down straps mandatory. Hold-down bolts must be minimum 3/8-inch (9.53 mm) if battery is relocated from stock and other than stock hold-downs are used ("J" hooks prohibited or must have open end welded shut.).

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
NHRA Rules

8.1 BATTERIES

All batteries must be securely mounted and may not be relocated into the driver or passenger compartments. Rear firewall of .024-inch (.6 mm) steel or .032-inch (.8 mm) aluminum (including package tray) required when battery is re-located in trunk. In lieu of rear firewall, battery may be located in a sealed .024-inch (.6 mm) or .032-inch (.8 mm) aluminum, or FIA accepted poly box. If sealed box is used in lieu of rear firewall, box may not be used to secure battery, and must be vented outside of body. Strapping tape prohibited. A maximum of two automobile batteries, or 150 pounds (68 kg) combined maximum weight (unless otherwise specified in Class Requirements) is permitted. Metal battery hold-down straps mandatory. Hold-down bolts must be minimum 3/8-inch (9.53 mm) if battery is relocated from stock and other than stock hold-downs are used ("J" hooks prohibited or must have open end welded shut.).
Thats for regular acid batteries, optima are exempt from that rule.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Thats for regular acid batteries, optima are exempt from that rule.
Maybe the tech at your track allows it, but that isn't the case at any of the NHRA tracks I've run at. Nowhere in the NHRA rulebook does it say that sealed batteries are exempt.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Maybe the tech at your track allows it, but that isn't the case at any of the NHRA tracks I've run at. Nowhere in the NHRA rulebook does it say that sealed batteries are exempt.
What do you think a battery box turns a regular battery into? A SEALED battery....

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Agreed. But point out the line in the rulebook that says you can run a sealed battery without an approved box or firewall. The rule doesn't have any special requirements or exemptions for the type of battery. "All batteries..." is pretty all-encompassing.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Agreed. But point out the line in the rulebook that says you can run a sealed battery without an approved box or firewall. The rule doesn't have any special requirements or exemptions for the type of battery. "All batteries..." is pretty all-encompassing.
a sealed battery means you can run a battery tray that is capable of bolting to the floor with 3/8" bolts, which you can get for about $50 :)

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
a sealed battery means you can run a battery tray that is capable of bolting to the floor with 3/8" bolts, which you can get for about $50 :)
Like I said before...not at any of the NHRA tracks I've run at. If you're able to pass tech though, more power to you.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Aluminum Engine Bay Panels, Rear Seat Deletes, Door Panels, and more for your Mustang

They cost $275 though. I can make you one for $100-$160 but it wont be aluminum. I use MDF or a PVC composite which only weighs about 15 lbs
I would rather spend the extra 100 for the aluminum :)
Like I said before...not at any of the NHRA tracks I've run at. If you're able to pass tech though, more power to you.
I have certification to 7.50s with a non sealed box

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts