Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much MPG I will lose with a D1SC procharger kit running 6#s of boost driving conservatively? I mean, It seems like I probably would not lose any being that there isnt any drag like a turbo setup. I was looking at running the D1SC with like 6# or P1SC with 9#. barely going to afford the kit and supporting mods, I dont want to kill myself with dropped gas mileage though. If this project proves to be too much I'm just going to take my money and go on vacation to Europe for a month or so. whatchu guys think?

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
You got it backwards. There is no drag with a turbo because the turbine does not spin much when not in boost. The centri blower spins the same based on rpms. I'd say probably a 3-5mpg drop. more in the city, and less on the freeway.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
agh. that kinda sucks.. i guess you pay to play. I might end up waiting untill I get a new daily driver.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the whole setup is looking at around 5-6k (kit, fuel pump, injectors, autometer crap)... and I would be putting out around 400 at the wheels..... that wont even beat a termi.. and I could sell my car for 14k and buy a termi for like 20.... am I wrong about not beating a termi with 400 at the wheels w/ 4.10's?

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
turbo will have better mileage, but the supercharger will get better mileage as long as your not hotrodding all the time, but dont kid yourself, you will, becasue its a big difference

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
yes, termis are at around 380 at the wheels. You would beat a stock termi with 400 whp and 4.10 gears. And your MPG won't suffer that much driving conservatively. Its only at the top end when your in the boost its going to kill your mileage. Even then 6psi won't be a huge change. I'd think youd lose more in the area of 2-3. More around what you lost by switching to 4.10's

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
just remember there will always be stuff that breaks... u will take this off and the thing it attaches to will be worn out, and then this thingy will break, and then you might as well replace this jigamabob while its out... u see where im going.... go to europe man

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
just remember there will always be stuff that breaks... u will take this off and the thing it attaches to will be worn out, and then this thingy will break, and then you might as well replace this jigamabob while its out... u see where im going.... go to europe man
+1.. i got a built trans and i figured well hell... while i have it out i might as well put a new spec 3 clutch in it... i traded my intake and a few other parts for the trans so i figured well hell.... while i have the intake and all off i might as well go ahead and get some heads and cams... and someone told me it would be easier to pull the motor out to change the heads rather than in the car so i figure well.... if im gonna go ahead and pull the motor out i might as well forge the internals... so i went from gettin the hook up on a built transmission and just changing it to buyin a $350 clutch, gonna buy another $300 alluminum intake to put back on and have it ported, buyin some ported and pollished heads with comp stage II cams for $800, and maybe forging the internals for $2000... so it went from being a job that didnt cost any money at all to something that might end up costing $3500....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol thanks for the input, you guys are great. I think im going to wait till next summer to do the supercharger, im gunna go to europe this summer and backpack around for 2 months. i need to get some moddedmustangs.com stickers to put on any stangs I find over there..LOL ill take pictures of it too for some good posts.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
turbo will have better mileage, but the supercharger will get better mileage as long as your not hotrodding all the time, but dont kid yourself, you will, becasue its a big difference
+1 Just ask Gunny. He has a whipple and 4.10s. If drives easy for an entire tank he get about 23 mpg with about 80% highway, but the second he romps on it, his gas gauge goes down as fast as his speedo goes up.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
when i had my P-1SC i was averaging around 12-13 mpg with about 75% city driving...and thats without getting on the gas much. BUT i did have a bad tune, so i probably wasted most of that gas.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
when i had my P-1SC i was averaging around 12-13 mpg with about 75% city driving...and thats without getting on the gas much. BUT i did have a bad tune, so i probably wasted most of that gas.
+1 probably tried to make your tune safe and had you running VERY rich

·
Self proclaimed A-hole
3,780 Posts
why do you care about gas milage, your foots gonna be in it all the time so your gas milage is gonna suck either way, plus why would you buy a D1sc for only 6 pounds of boost, D1SC is meant for 15lbs or more. P1SC is between 9-13. Why get a supercharger if you are not going to put your foot to the floor. I SWEAR IF PEOPLE WANT GOOD GAS MILLAGE GO GET A HONDA, YOU BOUGHT A MUSTANG FOR A REASON AND I AM SURE ITS NOT GAS MILLAGE.

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
with normal everyday driving, a supercharger or turbocharger can actually increase your mileage. until you step on it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
why do you care about gas milage, your foots gonna be in it all the time so your gas milage is gonna suck either way, plus why would you buy a D1sc for only 6 pounds of boost, D1SC is meant for 15lbs or more. P1SC is between 9-13. Why get a supercharger if you are not going to put your foot to the floor. I SWEAR IF PEOPLE WANT GOOD GAS MILLAGE GO GET A HONDA, YOU BOUGHT A MUSTANG FOR A REASON AND I AM SURE ITS NOT GAS MILLAGE.
Oh so true! Only reason i'm not currently running the supercharger is cause i blew my old motor (very very long story). I bought a used motor that had 83k on it that is also having issues...i think i about have it narrowed down.

It comes down to this...if you want a mustang that gets decent gas mileage, get a v-6. If you want a car that gets great gas mileage get a diesel (i hate our current idea of a hybrid, what a joke.) If you want to have some fun get a v-8. If you want to go fast, you gotta pay to play....keep in mind if ya boost it, ya gotta use premium gas so that little increase in mileage it will provide gets absorbed by the price of gas.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Europe.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
ah screw europe. lol... something might happen and you will never get your charger... what would you rather show your kids? pics of you hiking in europe? or videos of you smokin some guy in your car? ha

1 - 19 of 19 Posts