Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont expect an older mustang to have great gas mileage, but when I'm spending almost 10 dollars A DAY on gas, somethings up. All I know is that the check engine light comes on first through third gear, and the exhaust is kinda messed up at the moment. It gets 20-30 miles per quarter of a tank. The car is a daily driver, so I can't afford to spend this much gas, especially with the 4 dollars a gallon.

·
Resident asshole
1,694 Posts
Your 02 sensors aren't functioning properly due to your modified exhaust and the ecu is dumping way to much fuel in as a safety measure so you don't go lean. Fix your exhaust. Problem solved

·
Registered
816 Posts
hey mustangmatt i noticed you were in ft. myers, i am right down in port charlotte, if you wanna meet up some time and i could help you out and maybe take a look, i have a 1995 gt

·
:)
11,583 Posts
I thought i was running rich once. Turns out I just had a leaky ass gas tank. Before, 200 miles per tank was only achieved by trying really hard, now 200 miles per tank is easily achievable even when i'm hot rodding around town.

Check that out too, before you go replacing o2 sensors. It's probably your sensors/exhaust like the second post guy said, but it doesn't hurt to check the gas tank.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I just started experiencing the same thing... My idle surged really bad on the first start up today. Gonna try cleaning the MAF.

P.S. Jakashh wtf is your sig???

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
im down to a quarter of a tank left with only 100 miles on the fill up, i always get much more than that from the daily driver wtf is up with that?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well my problem with the exhaust is a little while ago my brother and I were workin on takin off the exhaust, so we unbolted the midpipe from the headers. when I was inside, he started the car running just headers. i heard it all the way from the other side of my house. anyways when he just upped and quit on me, I tried bolting the midpipe on the headers, but the flange on the passenger side header(the one that is welded) somehow twisted a 45 degree angle and now the bolt wont go in, so right now only one side of the exhaust is bolted on.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and orange stang, yeah I work a lot but me and a couple friends were gonna hit the strip somewhere close. ill pm you if you wanna go

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
k man sounds good, i go to USF and will be on spring break next week.. :)
Small world, kind of. I was just at UNF on saturday for a symposium. Never heard of the place or even knew there was a USF, but I suppose it makes sense. If ones called north, there's probably one somewhere called south, lol.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I dont expect an older mustang to have great gas mileage, but when I'm spending almost 10 dollars A DAY on gas, somethings up. All I know is that the check engine light comes on first through third gear, and the exhaust is kinda messed up at the moment. It gets 20-30 miles per quarter of a tank. The car is a daily driver, so I can't afford to spend this much gas, especially with the 4 dollars a gallon.
Like mentioned intermittent check engine lights like that usually mean o2 sensors. If your exhaust isn't bolted up properly, then you're not getting all your exhaust gasses to pass over the sensor like it's looking for. It's not seeing the correct amt of fuel in the exhaust and is compensating by dumping more fuel. You may have other issues, but get that exhaust bolted back up properly first and then see how the mileage is.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's the thing though. When the flange twisted a 45 degree angle, it got to where the header is stopping the bolt from going in the whole. I'll try to get some pics up soon

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
If it came off the car, it can go back on. Unless you have it back on wrong in some way. Are you sure the flange is welded? From what I remember of the stock ones, the flange was separate and could rotate. If not, then what about the flange on the header.

·
Registered
594 Posts
If it came off the car, it can go back on. Unless you have it back on wrong in some way. Are you sure the flange is welded? From what I remember of the stock ones, the flange was separate and could rotate. If not, then what about the flange on the header.
^This.

Cleaned my MAF today FINALLY. After 300,000 miles its the first time its been cleaned :sorry

I'm hoping it will help my 0-60 time and my MPG issue...will report back after class.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
One or the other or both has to be able to rotate so they can match up. They can get stuck and make it seem like they're fixed on there, but just give it a tap with your palm or a hammer and it'll free up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah there is flange on the midpipe, and its free. But the way the holes turned on the header, the hole is underneath one of the pipes so the pipe blocks the bottom hole from a bolt from going in. Its REALLY hard to describe in words.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
the reason mine was getting bad mileage was because when i put my distributor back in i didnt take the spout connector out so it was saying my timing was 12 when it was actually 0...so changed it back to 10-12

1 - 20 of 36 Posts