Modded Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently ive been noticin that i get shitty gas mileage. i have a v6 with a manual trans. i usually gt 200 miles to a full tank which means 12 mpg which is horrible. but on friday i filled up and only got 150 miles which mans 10 mpg. and with gas prices up to 3 somethin a gallon i need better mileage. and dont say its the way i drive lol cuase even if i baby it i still get the same. can anyone help?

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
How many miles does your car have? Get autozone to check for codes. Check your cats. Do a couple of 0-60 runs to stomp some carbon out. Fuel additive treatment for cleaning engine. Seafoam. Change spark plugs. Unplug battery and leave overnight....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry guys i know there are alot of posts about this but ive looked and i cant find anything that helps. ok so heres alittle about my car its a 2000 v6 with a 5spd tranny. its got around 91,000 miles. the engine is completely stock. it has a 15.7 gallon tank and i get around 200 miles to a full tank. and i dont beat the hell out of it so thats not the reason. i get the same mpg as my friends 02 gt with a **** load of engine mods done to it. can anyone help??

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
is your check engine light on?
do your rpms stay constant at idle?
does your car smoke out the tailpipes?
are your tires properly inflated?
when was the last time the spark plugs/wires were changed?
when was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
when was the last time the air filter was changed?

this is a good list of places to start finding possible problems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no mil light
when im idling the car shakes alot and kinda feels like its strugglin to stay on and rpms bounce a tiny bit they stay under a grand tho
no smoke
tires are good
no idea about spark plugs or fuel filter
air filter just changed

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
if you threw some codes for the mil, i would say it is a gasket (probably upper intake manifold gasket). you may have a vacuum leak (but should show up through mil) as that is a usual sign of the stuttering you see with a fluctuating rpm.

spark plugs and wires are cheap, and it cant hurt to pull a plug out and see how it looks...

we need to get you back up to 20+mpg!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.