Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Behold the black horse...
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am about to install my 2-Step in the next few days or so and the instructions for wiring a switch seem vague at best. I dont want to do any trial and error, I want to be positive on what to do before i splice anything. My switch mounts in my console, it is a rocker switch with a red light. The back has three prongs, two silver and one gold.

I don't know WTF a clutch switch is. Do I use the blue/white wire or the solid blue wire? Do use the solid blue and run it into the blue/orange wire like Blazer707? I need to know exactly what wires go to these three prongs. Reps will be given.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
This write up was very helpful. I asked some questions later on so they might help you.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2011/308911-msd-2-step-install-2011-m6.html

With a momentary switch, I don't know if you have to use the clutch pedal sensor. But I would anyways.

Use the solid BLUE wire from the MSD, make a 3 way splice into the clutch pedal signal switch (box will be behind the clutch pedal, push in the clutch pedal you'll see it push in a little switch)

You want to splice it into the blue/orange wire from the clutch pedal switch.

I used an on off toggle switch. So idk with a momentary switch.

·
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wait, this is an on/off switch. You don't hold the button down you just flip it in the on or off position right? Isnt momentary where you have to hold the button to activate and than it pops back out or whatever and deactivates? I looked at that write-up and in his drawing he shows the solid blue going to the switch from MSD and than to the Blue/orange wire. But I have three prongs, what is the third one?

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I think that's just a momantary switch?? Maybe it clicks to on and off... I just assumed it was a momentary switch. Figured it would be a toggle for on off. Nevermind me then...

·
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, lol. A rocker switch is what you are calling a toggle switch. You just flip this on and it lights up and stays on until you flip it back...you dont hold it. It's the same thing as yours and Blazer's it just looks different....and has three prongs which is what confuses me. I think the gold would be connected to a 12 volt supply and the silver middle prong would connect to the MSD box and the other silver would be a ground?

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Okay I see exactly what's going on, sorry man I thought It was a momentary switch but I see now.

Take blue wire from MSD box and being it all the way to your on/off switch. Add a female connector to it, and put it on one of the prongs (wont matter for now, make sure battery is disconnected)

On one of the other terminals, add another female connected and blue wire going from your on off switch, to the clutch pedal switch blue/orange wires where you'll make a 3 way splice.

That's all you need. You don't need 3 prongs. So just cap one of them off. All you'll have to do, is slide the female connectors (that you soldered into the blue msd wire) into your on off switch until you find out which one works.

Make sense? I have a hard time explaining it

·
Zip's half naked helper
11,663 Posts
Nope. Nope, and nope. One of the terminals on the switch should go to 12+. The second goes to the device it is controlling, ie two step, line lock or nitrous. Third terminal goes to ground. That way when you turn it on, the light comes on.

You should have a diagram which shows how the connections are made, should be with the switch or on its packaging. Most times the gold is the ground. If you don't have a diagram, turn the switch on, ground the gold terminal and put 12 volts to the others, when it lights up, hook the device to the last one. Easy peasy Japanesey.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
^ he's right! I forgot about needing one for the light to come on for the activation. Thanks Marc

·
MM elder
9,751 Posts
not that Marc isn't right about the wiring to the switch, but in this case, don't mess with a 12v+ source to the switch, screw the light.

the blue wire is ground activated & you don't need any mishaps, lol.

·
Zip's half naked helper
11,663 Posts
Depending on the design of the switch (light as opposed to led, which this method won't work) you can put 12 volts to the gold, ground the main terminal and switched to the blue wire of the 2 step. If its a regular light, it'll work.

If its an led, like I think it is, then screw the light. Wire one silver to ground, then the other side to the 2 step.

·
MM elder
9,751 Posts
Depending on the design of the switch (light as opposed to led, which this method won't work) you can put 12 volts to the gold, ground the main terminal and switched to the blue wire of the 2 step. If its a regular light, it'll work.

If its an led, like I think it is, then screw the light. Wire one silver to ground, then the other side to the 2 step.
makes sense buy this is just gonna be a switch in line with the clutch switch, the blue wire will go from the msd, to the toggle switch, out of the toggle switch to the clutch switch.

·
Zip's half naked helper
11,663 Posts
Then screw the light. Just wire it up with the two silver terminals. Doesn't matter which one goes where.

·
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. Yes it is an LED Marc, why does that make it different? I'm just curious. I'll bypass the LED if it's that much of a hassle.

·
Registered
224 Posts
not that Marc isn't right about the wiring to the switch, but in this case, don't mess with a 12v+ source to the switch, screw the light.

the blue wire is ground activated & you don't need any mishaps, lol.

I'm with Casper on this, Keep it simple and use the clutch ground for activation.

If you're set on 12v activation, Unless I'm missing something, you don't want to use a toggle switch, you want a push button momentary so your not fumbling around trying to turn a switch off to disable the 2-step .

I know people are afraid the 2 step will "re-arm" during their run but it wont. When ground activated the 2-step will only function when the clutch pedal is depressed fully, and your CPP switch should not close until the clutch pedal is on the floor.

·
Zip's half naked helper
11,663 Posts
A regular light bulb doesn't care which is positive or ground. As long as you are in the voltages range (like most of ours being 12 volts) it will light up.

An led on the other hand needs a true positive and a true ground to work, and will only work at a spcified voltage. Hook it up backwards and it just won't work.

I could get the light to work on that switch in the setup described, but not without doing surgery to the switch and a little witchcraft on my part.

·
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah, ok. I have one rocker without a light that came with my Linelock. Maybe I could get JPC to hook me up with another one. Damn it. Thanks everybody.

I gave everyone one of my skimpy reps, except you Shaun because I've repped you recently or whatever but I'll rep you again when it lets me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I am about to install my 2-Step in the next few days or so and the instructions for wiring a switch seem vague at best. I dont want to do any trial and error, I want to be positive on what to do before i splice anything. My switch mounts in my console, it is a rocker switch with a red light. The back has three prongs, two silver and one gold.

I don't know WTF a clutch switch is. Do I use the blue/white wire or the solid blue wire? Do use the solid blue and run it into the blue/orange wire like Blazer707? I need to know exactly what wires go to these three prongs. Reps will be given.
Did u ever figure it out? I’m having the same problem now!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts