Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
WICKA
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i just bought a msd 2step launch control system for my 2004 gt, i plugged everything in correctly and tested it accordingly..msd says that the small led should light up if plugged correctly an then turn off when car is running..then the led will illuminate when 2step is activated.(hooked into my clutch switch) problem is that when i start my car the led remaining lit and is cutting spark at idle, if i unplug the ground to the 2step the idle becomes normal...idk what is wrong here

·
Registered
869 Posts
Also as you may know it can be activated by power or ground..but it is two separate wires...make sure you are using the right one...it doesnt make sense that when u move the wire it changes because when the pedal is up you should have an open circuit..
To test the unit set the dials at lets say 3000, nothing crazy, and ground the wire to a known good ground...also make sure the positive activation wire isnt grounded..tape it off .then push the accelerator and see what happens...hopefully pop pop pop at 3k

·
WICKA
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I set the rotarys to 3300rpm, i investigated a little further and found that when at idle in neutral the led light on the 2step stays on and im only running on 7cyl, i found that my #8 coil wasnt being fired, i unplugged the coil with the engine running and the led went off on the 2step, i tried unplugging another coil but the led stayed on, i grounded the 2step straight to the battery, amd even took the 12v trigger wire and fed it straight 12v battery power and still nothing, also tried the ground trigger but same result, beginning to think theres an issue with the 2step itself

·
Registered
869 Posts
Thats very possible. I had a defective msd 6a box before...not bashing msd but I run Mallory ignition on my older hot rods.....but I do love my msd 2 step

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Are you using the correct ground wire? There are 2 and in your application you need to hook up the correct one

Sent from my LG-AS680 using AutoGuide App

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Make sure the connector with 1 wire to the msd box connects to the engine harness with the grey wires. My instructions had me install it on the black wire harness and it took me a lil bit to figure it out. But I had similar issues untill I swapped the connections

1 - 7 of 7 Posts